Fiberglass Thunderbird update

John Temple

I just wanted to let everyone know that the first pre-production set of fiberglass/composite doors are out of the molds. They are being assembled to get installed and tested on a fellow SCCOA members car. Bar any problems they should be ready for sale within a few months. If anyone has any questions please give me a call at (770)722-2587 or (770)461-0699 John

Cost

We are looking between $800.00 and $850.00 for the pair. They are also a direct replacement and will accept all original hardware....Thanks, John

Fiberglass doors

What kind of weight savings is projected over stock steel doors?

I assume this is an off road only item?

Does it have any of the structural supports that the steel doors have for collision?

more door info.

The doors weigh about 18 pounds compaired to 68 for a stock steel door(total weight with windows was 105 pounds). They were designed to accept all original parts including windows and inner door panels BUT are listed as for Race or show only.

do you have any pics?I am interested-Not too concerned with structure in a collision-I am installing a roll cage.

These will be GREAT for part of this coming Winters project. My car is close to being lite enough to go to a manual rack now, and these doors will be a big help, and up front where we need to ge rid of the most weight. I am looking forward to the release date....

John I guess it's alright to fess up to being the test mule for these 1st 2 doors. I'm shooting for solid 12's next year so these should help. I should be at 3500 lbs now so after we have both doors on I'd like to get the car reweighed. Now that my heater core is blown maybe I can remove the last of the a/c and heater parts and shed some more lbs.

Door pictures soon

I will post some pictures before assembly and after they are installed on Mike Pucketts SC. You should expect a minimun savings of 100lbs., it could be more depending on what windows and hardware used. The only changes that will be on the production pieces will be gelcoat color, either light or dark grey.....John

Are these fiberglass doors still in production? If so, I might take a look at them. Not trying to run 12's or anything but I figure it'll improve my fuel economy a bit.

Other than fiberglass body parts and MKVIII Aluminum control arms/differential case, what are some other good weight saving tips?

I know this an old thread, but I got excited about the fiberglass doors.

Thanks in advance ;)

Back