Todays Dyno Results - Not impressive

Super XR7

Today I ran my car on a Mustang Dyno, with Jerry Wrobelski doing the dyno tune. I was not very happy with my car based on all the work that I have done to it.
Can someone review this dyno sheet and my mods to find out where my weaknesses are. The heads, the 2.25" downtubes, cam?
Another thing is that I drove 70 miles to get to the dyno the day of the dyno run.

Mike Tuck

Noted that one of the other papers stated 13.5 hp at 50 MPH

Attachments

• Dyno Run B.JPG
    Dyno Run B.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 474
What kind of torque did it make? I have a lot of the same mods (same cam, headers, 2.25 exhaust) and with a stock intercooler (Look out its gotta fan) and running real rich I made a hair under 253 HP and 332 torque late Nov last year.. Was it really hot? I would have expected you to be around 300HP.

Attachments

• Dyno 2003 Nov.jpg
    Dyno 2003 Nov.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Are you sure that is your last/tuned chart? I know that he didn't command a 13.25 AF ratio so something doesn't seem right. Maybe they gave you a pre-tune printout?

I won't comment without some more info...

Yea Dave, I'd be surprised if a/f was set where it is at. Somewhat lean for my tastes. Also, the Mustang Dyno will have lower hp than a DynoJet due to it more closely simulating real conditions.

Here is the last run which also had the lowest horsepower, due to heating up?
If I didn't have the interior work to do, I would tear out the motor tommorrow and fix what needs to be done. This does not take away from the car being a blast to drive, just very disappointed with the dyno results, which I will do something about. I am looking for 350 hp at the rear wheels, period.

I consider you guys the experts and am requesting your advice. Anymore info I have is yours, just let me know.

Paul, I can not say that the car feels any different, I am just a little more relaxed knowing that I am not running lean.

Attachments

• Dyno Run C.JPG
    Dyno Run C.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 369
and the last run. Hey want to thank you guys in advance for the help.

Attachments

• Dyno Run C1.JPG
    Dyno Run C1.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 385
Super XR7 said:
and the last run. Hey want to thank you guys in advance for the help.

Now I see why people don't like Mustang dyno's. Nevermind the power levels, those graphs are azz.

Anyway, back to the car. Did Jerry tell you anything about the car, did he make any comments or offer any suggestions? Were other people happy/dissapointed with their results that day?

How many pulls did you make? I don't think heat was the problem. With a MP IC you should have been fine all day. If it really makes those power levels, the car wouldn't be all that fun to drive. 300rwhp says you are going fast in a hurry, 240rwhp is fun in first and even 2nd for awhile but it makes you wonder when you are going to get there in 3rd. As Paul said, how does it feel?

I am bothered that your power falls off by 4800-4900 but that may be a function of the cam. However, my cam has only slightly more duration on the exhaust (same lift more or less) and it peaks at 5200-5400 depending on the day. How much boost are you running? I do think you are way overdriven. With that cam and blower combo a 5% should be good for about 14psi which is plenty for 300rwhp. I ran my best with a 5% pulley on my Smodel. Moving up to 10% added 10rwhp but I didn't run any faster at the track so I think it was saturating things down track.

You need to get to a dynojet and try again if you want comperable numbers to what everyone else has.

And for the record, a lean pull on the dyno which results in a higher HP reading will not result in a quicker time at the track. I have gone faster (12.48) with 330rwhp and 12.0:1 than I did (12.68) with 345rwhp and 13.5:1. :)

Dave,

Your's is the only car I've seen make big power on such a small cam (freak). I don't think Mike needs to reduce the amount of overdrive so much as he needs a bigger cam. IMO, 350 rwhp isn't going to happen without heads similar to Stegs. and much more cam.

David

Made three pulls, the dyno owner invited me back for a free pull when things were cooler. The guy that followed me was a 89 cobra mustang with a 5.0 rebuild which included a cam, long tube headers, port and polished heads. I didn't get the specifics but when I left he was at 232 hp / 265 ft-lbs and I am sure he wasn't very happy either. Like the owner told me when I arrived "that dyno is a heart breaker", I wasn't sure what he meant by that at first but now I know.
Driving the car it moves very well and I am sure that I am making more HP than 247 but not 350. It sounds like I need better heads and a bigger cam (any suggestions). I will get the interior done and then start back on the motor.

Mike Tuck

those aren't that bad of numbers from what i can see. I think you're tip in is a little off in the last pull. It seems to dip way down then come up to a good ratio of 12.3ish. Much better than the first run. Work with the tuner some more and i think you can hit around 270 at the wheels no problem.

He's a pic of my dyno run, notice the scary a/f ratio. This was before a long awaited tune. Its just about squared away now, and i think i can unleash a lot more ponies at the wheels. However, take a lot at my torque curve, it peaks at 422ftlb, but the hp was only 280. Kinda strange. Anyways, I think you'll have no problem getting to your goal. There are always going to be road blocks. Good luck man!

433758_61_full.jpg

Well guys just got this email and this makes me feel a little better.

The last pull Saturday was done by Bill Phillips to allow me to provide you guys with a correction factor. This correction factor will allow you to get a very accurate number for what your vehicle would pull on a Dynojet dyno. The Dynojet is more of the industry standard as far as rear wheel HP numbers. The mustang Dyno we used this weekend had load absorption which loads the cars up and makes the pulls much longer and builds up allot of heat. In my opinion loading up a car like we did this weekend allows the tuner to give you a much safer tune, but that is my opinion only.
Bill Phillips had his car on the Dynojet in Atlanta on Thursday and pulled 621 RWHP. On saturday he pulled 528 RWHP. 528/621= .85 This tells me that the Mustang Dyno was reading 15% lower than the DynoJet
I have often been told and read that a Mustang Dyno will read about 15% lower than a DynoJet. So I would say it would be very safe to say of you guys take the HP you made on the Dyno Saturday and divided it by .85 and that would be a conservative pull for your car on a DynoJet.
So if you made 220HP saturday, that would be 220/.85= 258RWHP on a DynoJet.

So that would make me at ~290 hp and ~350 ft-lbs. Not at my goal but closer.

Mike Tuck

Mike a Mustang dyno imposes load to simulate real world conditions as opposed to a dynojet which really inflates numbers...To top that off you will get a much better tune on a mustang dyno because of that..On that note teh best way to tune is with a wideband and a long strip of alphalt..Everyones so hung up on numbers

Mike,

That dyno was clearly a heartbreaker and on the ride back to Atlanta we talked about the fact that ALL the numbers were low so you are not alone.

-Scott

I don't understand mustang dynos!!!! I dyno'd my Turbo Coupe (faster than the SC when running right) when it was really cheap, tho it wasn't running right. It got so rich, it went off their scale and they shut it down at 4300 RPM. It made 127 HP and 193 lb/ft @ 16PSI , but ALSO made 13.50 HP @ 50 MPH?????

Super XR7 said:
Today I ran my car on a Mustang Dyno, with Jerry Wrobelski doing the dyno tune. I was not very happy with my car based on all the work that I have done to it.
Can someone review this dyno sheet and my mods to find out where my weaknesses are. The heads, the 2.25" downtubes, cam?
Another thing is that I drove 70 miles to get to the dyno the day of the dyno run.

Mike Tuck

Noted that one of the other papers stated 13.5 hp at 50 MPH

What size injectors/pump are you running?

keisers1001 - 42 lb Ford injectors

Scott - very nice engine, thats has to be one bad cat! Enjoyed talking with you at the dyno, send me more pictures of the engine, specifically the part you need made and I will take a look at it.

XR& Dave - I am pumping about 13 psi

David Neibert/XR7 Dave - suggestions on how big of a cam? I will work on better flowing heads.

Thanks
Mike Tuck

Back