Are SC's good for daily drivers?

x182dan

I am selling my automatic SC, that I have not had that long, to probably get a 5spd SC. I am probably gonna drive this car most of the time except when it snows or there is salt on the road. I was wondering what is your opinions on driving an SC daily opposed to a weekend warrior or A nice weather car. I am probably going to mod it a bit and drive it daily. Is this a smart thing to do? All I want is a quick daily driver that I can have a little fun with every now and then so is the SC good for that or should I look to get a stang or Trans Am for that? Thanks for reading my long and probably boring message.

mine has been good to me.

it's left me on the road once due to the cam sensor.

Don't go cheap on tires though, cheapos suck in the rain.

gas is a little rough though.

Dan,

It all depends what you want from your car. Overall you cant beat an SC when compared to lets say a mustang or a transam. May not be as quick but its 100% better a car then the both of em

x182dan said:
I am selling my automatic SC, that I have not had that long, to probably get a 5spd SC. I am probably gonna drive this car most of the time except when it snows or there is salt on the road. I was wondering what is your opinions on driving an SC daily opposed to a weekend warrior or A nice weather car. I am probably going to mod it a bit and drive it daily. Is this a smart thing to do? All I want is a quick daily driver that I can have a little fun with every now and then so is the SC good for that or should I look to get a stang or Trans Am for that? Thanks for reading my long and probably boring message.

Think of it this way... do you want a bad girl all the time or a good girl that can be bad when you want her to?

Bad Girl vs. Good Girl

JStudrawa said:
Think of it this way... do you want a bad girl all the time or a good girl that can be bad when you want her to?
Excellent advice!!!!!!!!!! I'll take BOTH Please!!!!!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

I drive my 91 SC daily to work and school with no problems. I haven't had it very long, but it drives excellent. Only had to replace the starter, and motor mounts.

Shane

With Mods how are the SC's on reliability? I want to have a daily driver somewhere in the 13s and still count on reliability.

Check out my mod list on my signature on my 35th. I rarely have a part break becuas of mods. It has only happend twice. Once I blew my water pump. That was because of either age or underdrive pulleys. And two the motor mounts. That could have been because of a more powerfull motor or becuase of age also. Both are probably related to age more than anything, because the car has 195K on it.

Next thing I have to replace is almost all of the front suspension because it is all worn out

Shane

I've driven mine daily(well almost) since new. On average, I've driven it daily on a regular basis at least six months out of each yr. Mine has been reliable. Only time it let me down was due to alternator problems. I think a lot of it has to do with driving habits and how well you maintain it. You might get away with cheating/skimping on maintenance for a short while, but it'll make you pay eventually, especially the older, more miles the car has. Also depends on how well car was maintained before you got it. When you have to replace parts, don't skimp and buy cheap aftermarket. Again, some of that depends on what part you're replacing. I just replaced an ABS module on mine with a "cheaper" part, but it is still an OEM part from another car of the same yr as mine.
Overall, I've been very happy to drive mine regularly, but hope to have a "supplemental car" to drive before I reach 150k miles so I can do a full engine rebuild.

Its either a 5spd SC or a 6spd LT-1 Trans Am for me, its a hard decision. Both cars have their ups and downs.

Back