intercooler leak

90blkbrd

I believe I have a intercooler leak on the bottom connection to the intercooler. It is constantly covered in oil. The car doesn't leak any fluids that I can find. It idles fine and gets 12 pounds of boost at high revs.

I am planning on installing a intercooler fan tomorrow night. Can the intercooler be removed without taking off the tubes from the engine. I mean just break the 2 connections at the intercooler, remove the intercooler to clean out the oil, install the fan to the cooler and reinstall. After reading other posts I will be using copper rtv to reseal the system.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

1990 auto

Not alot of oil in the bottom of the intercooler. Will post pictures later.

Next question: Do I center the intercooler fan on the intercooler, put it to the top, or to the bottom. My gut instinct is center the fan. But since heat rises it might be better to put it toward the top.

Help!!!

Middle sounds good but I would look at how the air come out{ Least amount of obstuction} would be best.

The fan has been installed and it works. :) Just wish it the copper RTV didn't say I had to wait 24 hours for it to dry. :(

Thanks for everyone's input.

Michael

Attachments

• inside of lower tube.jpg
    inside of lower tube.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 202
  • 14 year old intercooler seals.JPG
    14 year old intercooler seals.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 196
  • inside of upper tube.JPG
    inside of upper tube.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 206
  • intercooler fan mounted.jpg
    intercooler fan mounted.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 203
haha- those intercooler seals of 14 years look just like mine that saw 14 minutes of use! time to buy some of wynn's gaskets

Back