Thread: ABS Pump Motor ????'s

Question ABS Pump Motor ????'s

I have a 91 sc manual that i have bought and now i am running into some brake problem's (go figure had some brake problems on my 92 auto). But anyways i have read lots and lots of posts on the break systme for these cars and since i have 2 sc's i have tried the realays on each of them and the relays work fine on the 92 no problem and every now and again the 91 they will work. Well come to find out when the pump on the 91 don't kick in what i can do is take a long long screw driver and tap on the looks to be Hydraulic Pump Motor for the breaks and the pump kicks on. When the pump builds up it's pressure it kicks off i go in to the car and use the hell out of the breaks and make it go to where the pump would need to kick back on but it dosen't untill i tap on that motor. The real question is how do i get that pump motor off??? Am i going to have to take the whole brake system off or can i get a couple of screws off or nuts and i can get it off???? And when i get it off can i just buy the pump motor or do i need to purchase a whole brake system????

You guys have been help full in the past in helping me out so i thought i would start here before i start ripping into it myself and mess something up big time.

Thanks in advance
    Josh

You pretty much have to take the whole system off the car to remove/inspect the pump motor. For service, if you can't find something obvious, such as a loose wire or burnt contact, there are companies which can rebuild it, or you see them for sale on eBay all the time.

The big E

Quote Originally Posted by superbird92 View Post
    I have a 91 sc manual that i have bought and now i am running into some brake problem's (go figure had some brake problems on my 92 auto). But anyways i have read lots and lots of posts on the break systme for these cars and since i have 2 sc's i have tried the realays on each of them and the relays work fine on the 92 no problem and every now and again the 91 they will work. Well come to find out when the pump on the 91 don't kick in what i can do is take a long long screw driver and tap on the looks to be Hydraulic Pump Motor for the breaks and the pump kicks on. When the pump builds up it's pressure it kicks off i go in to the car and use the hell out of the breaks and make it go to where the pump would need to kick back on but it dosen't untill i tap on that motor. The real question is how do i get that pump motor off??? Am i going to have to take the whole brake system off or can i get a couple of screws off or nuts and i can get it off???? And when i get it off can i just buy the pump motor or do i need to purchase a whole brake system????

You guys have been help full in the past in helping me out so i thought i would start here before i start ripping into it myself and mess something up big time.

Thanks in advance
    Josh
    Try and get hold of the Big E he has rebuilt and used pumps and systems. If your tapping on the pump to get it running its probably in its last stages of life. a seal goes bad and lets brake fluid into the winding's of the pump. it might possibly be a lose connection or a sticking pressure valve as well
    92 (Red Car) SC Heads Reworked 10% od pully Headers Cat Back 2-1-2 Kooks Headers Front Mount Intercooler Raised Top MPII Blower MP Intake 85MM TB 50 LB Injectors 255LPH Pump w Regulator 76 MM C&L MAS NOS stage I 60HP Flip Chip BHJ ballancer SnEEC-IV data logger LM-1 wideband
    93 (White Car) Broken Crankshaft so none of the other stuff matters. (Some day to be Badass 4.3 ltr with a 2.3 Whipple)