Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Compression question for those with Steg's big cam.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    21,093

    Compression question for those with Steg's big cam.

    I'm at stock 8.2:1 static compression and using the Stegimeier 240/240 cam. When I tested the compression last week all cylinders were 130-135 psi. It sounds kinda low to me. It's probably because of the overlap because I'm only getting 7 inches of vac at idle/park and 5 inches in gear.

    Anyone else with this cam tested their compression ?

    David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

    My Garage

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Madison, Ohio
    Posts
    17,665
    Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert
    I'm at stock 8.2:1 static compression and using the Stegimeier 240/240 cam. When I tested the compression last week all cylinders were 130-135 psi. It sounds kinda low to me. It's probably because of the overlap because I'm only getting 7 inches of vac at idle/park and 5 inches in gear.

    Anyone else with this cam tested their compression ?

    David
    David, I think Gary's was only a little higher but he has a higher compression ratio. According to my sources, that is about right for your combination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Madison, Ohio
    Posts
    17,665
    With my cam the same motor would do about 155psi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    York, PA
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave
    With my cam the same motor would do about 155psi.

    8.2:1 static compression

    you guys are wierdos :-P LOL I have had an aftermarket cam in my SC (doesn't matter because it is currentlly trashed - if I can fix it I will see you at the MN12 nationals - your not gonna miss it?!?!)
    is there a way to tell how it was a regrind? I mean I got the sc with crazy mods. It is not the same, I but the stick gears back init it hat 3.27 gears in and bored 30 over (whoever did all this madness put bottom spacers in the top of the crank so no oil could get to the rod - the cylinders still had hone marks on it!)

    ok maybe I am as strange as you, but I don't know about inches/vac in park.... but you all have AOD's so you THINK (haha) you would smoke me... LOL my car would be going sideways while you are 50' ahead...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    21,093
    Bacondoggy,

    We may be weirdos....but what does that have to do with compression ratios and cylinder pressure ?

    Sorry I won't be at the MN12 Nats this year and will be attending the SC Shootout instead. If you can get your car running in time, you should really consider attending. BTW, If you make it I'll be happy to race you and see who smokes who.

    David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

    My Garage

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Eveleth MN
    Posts
    94
    man, 240/240 seems like WAY too much cam to me. With my mild 205/216 .477/.495 lift cam my car made peak HP @ 4700rpm N/A and peaks over 5500rpm with the vortech supercharger (I say peaks over 5500rpm because I had them stop the pulls at 5500rpm and the HP was still climbing good.

    Whats the lift on that badboy? seems like that much duration would kill the best aspect of a roots blower, low-mid range torque.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    21,093
    Rancher,

    With the rockers I'm using (1.6) it only lifts the valves .539. The vacuum sucks too and wouldn't be enough in a 93 or newer SC to operate the brake booster. I liked my old cam much better (same as Chris Wise had) and it only had 226 intake and 239 exhaust with .600 lift using the same rockers and had twice the vacuum and alot more snap off the line.

    Like the old one, this one peaks around 6000 and still has enough bottom end torque to light the tires up at will, but does require overdriving the supercharger a little harder and advancing the timing another 2 degrees to feel like the old one. Instead of 23% overdrive, I'm now maxed out at 26% (18-19 pounds of boost) which is hard on the blower bearings and seals, not to mention the amount of power required to spin it that fast.

    The only good thing about it, is that it's not as rough on the valvetrain which is something I broke about every three months with the other cam. Revving it to 6500 probably didn't help either.

    David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

    My Garage

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Madison, Ohio
    Posts
    17,665
    Quote Originally Posted by RancherV6Lee
    man, 240/240 seems like WAY too much cam to me. With my mild 205/216 .477/.495 lift cam my car made peak HP @ 4700rpm N/A and peaks over 5500rpm with the vortech supercharger (I say peaks over 5500rpm because I had them stop the pulls at 5500rpm and the HP was still climbing good.

    Whats the lift on that badboy? seems like that much duration would kill the best aspect of a roots blower, low-mid range torque.
    That's because you have a Vortech. That blower always skews HP higher than normal because it is building boost at a faster rate near redline than it is at any other rpm. That same cam would peak HP at about 4900 on a roots car.

    My 210/220 cam with .513" lift peaked HP at 5200 on my M90 car and 5500 with the AR. With an auto performance below 2500 is a non-issue and once you get to 4000 (about .5 seconds in David's car) torque has evened out and the 240 duration is happy all the way to 6500rpm. Of course in David's case, his M90 is not happy at all above 6000rpm so it's a catch 22.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    21,093
    Dave,

    As soon as I get this 347 turbo SC road ready, I'll be looking to upgrade my MPII to a 1.7 AR. Until then, I'm just gonna overdrive the crap out this M90 and hope it's enough to hang with the whipple and autorotor equipped SCs.

    David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

    My Garage

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Madison, Ohio
    Posts
    17,665
    Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert
    Dave,

    As soon as I get this 347 turbo SC road ready, I'll be looking to upgrade my MPII to a 1.7 AR. Until then, I'm just gonna overdrive the crap out this M90 and hope it's enough to hang with the whipple and autorotor equipped SCs.

    David
    Hehe, not a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Similar Threads

  1. Compression Test Question
    By johnny o in forum Super Coupe Club of Ontario
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 10:49 AM
  2. Compression Ratio Question
    By Boss_232 in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 08:32 AM
  3. cam sensor question
    By blksc in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 03:08 PM
  4. Cam Question
    By 38SCPROJECT in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-23-2002, 12:18 PM
  5. Compression ratio and cam?
    By MtDewd in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2002, 07:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •