Engine mounts.... ya!

Salty

Ok, it's time to replace the engine mounts on my '89 SC. Just wondering if anybody had any helpful hints as to the best way to go about it. I know they are a pain. I'm a technician at a GM dealership, so I do have the advantage being able to do it on a lift. When I inspected them, it looked like the passenger side would be the more difficult one, some of the bolts didn't even look accessible. Anyway, ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Salty said:
Ok, it's time to replace the engine mounts on my '89 SC. Just wondering if anybody had any helpful hints as to the best way to go about it. I know they are a pain. I'm a technician at a GM dealership, so I do have the advantage being able to do it on a lift. When I inspected them, it looked like the passenger side would be the more difficult one, some of the bolts didn't even look accessible. Anyway, ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
if you ahve access to lots of tools drop the subframe its the easyest fastest way.

Changing mounts without a lift

Here is how I did mine on my 90 XR7 and 94 SC. I removed the following components:

IC and tubing
Alternator
Power Steering Pump and AC Compressor(I removed them from there accessory mounts but left them connected)
The passenger side and driver side accessory mounts

Now you should be able to see the mounts on both sides.

I then jacked the engine until the mounts started to move up to the mechanical stops. I removed the driver side bolt that holds the mount to the frame and jacked a little more. I then removed the bolts (I believe there are 3 on each side) that hold the mount to the engine. Once you get the mount bolts out you may have to jack the engine more so the mount will slide out. I left the other mount attaced so I could get more clearance between the engine and frame by tilting the motor with the jack. Once you get the driver side done the passenger side comes out pretty much the same way. Good luck!

Hope this helps!

P.S. - I highly recommend the solid mounts over the Ford liquid mounts.

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:73 Gears, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, TRANSGO Shift Kit, ProTorque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Tokico Struts & Shocks, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 Lbs.Ft. Torque.

both of the above are probably your best options. get the solid rubber mounts because you won't want to do this again. good luck

Back