Fuzz/Lint in my exhaust? Did I leave a rag in the IC tube?

sizemoremk

Hey guys, I'm pulling my hair out...

After installing my nitrous system, which required me to remove and tap the fan nozzle in my lower IC tube; she started acting funny. I pulled out of the driveway, and realized that since I may pop the motor playing with the nitrous, I should take my cell phone... She was running perfectly smooth and such until I turned around a block away to get the cell phone, I thought I had a flat tire for a second, it started limping a bit, and running rough... No check engine light...

It then had a rough idle, only gets worse with more throttle. There was also a slight rattle in the super charger. I have noticed this before with a vaccumm leak and it went away when I found the leak in that instance.

I sprayed ether (engine starting fluid) all around IC tubes, and vacumm lines (I also had to tie into the FPR for the N2O) and I could not find a problem. I unplugged the MAF, and no change, then I used my spare MAF, no change. I checked the line going from the intake tube to the breather on the driver side... still connected. Sprayed some more ether all around. Let it cool off with the battery disconnected for two hours, checked the plug wires, as I had been messing aroud in the engine bay...
Fired her up again, and still the same... Then I unplugged each plug wire from the coil pack and verified there was spark on every wire. I also wanted to see if it was in limp home mode, so I checked the exhaut fumes, and couldn't really tell anything, I read that there was supose to be really rich as limp home mode fires on 4 cylinders... I checked the balancer pulley and it didn't seem to be wobling... I gave it some throttle a time or two, and then it died. Tried to restart it, and hard to turn over, couldn't start it witha couple of tries, and for no particular reason, I checked the tail pipes again, and I noticed lint, which kinda looked like the lint in the clothes drier fiter scattered around the rear of the vehicle... I looked in the tailpipes, and there seemd to be a little fuzz around the inside of the pipes....

Is there something that would cause this fuzz, or could I have left a rag in the IC tubes??? I used a few to cover the SC top and IC and everything whie they were opened. I removed the IC tubes agian, and couldn't find any traces of lint or pieces of rags or anyhting... Nothing in the IC itself... Is it possible that one could be lodged in the intake? Is it possible that pieces of it were ripped up and got sucked into the intake? I never got into the boost, and unfortunatley never go to hit the nitrous...

thanks guys!
Any input would be greatly apppreciated!

Last edited:
This is what I would do

Um, it sounds like a rag to me. Here’s what I would do and I’m sure Randy will concur. ;) I would take off your intake tube and run a garden hose into the throttle body as far as possible. Then, start pouring gasoline into the hose to fill up the supercharger, pouring as much as it will take. Disconnect your coil pack and try starting the car. This will move the gasoline around and create a gasoline vapor that will go through the top, intercooler tubes, intercooler, return adapter tube and intake manifold. After that, open up your throttle blade, take a long fireplace lighter and light the vapor. The vapor will flash and burn out the rag or any foreign object you have in there. Reconnect your intake tube, coil pack and anything else and you’re ready to go.

I nominate this for a FAQ

Might spare us some of those repetitive How did I get fuzz in my tailpipe? posts.

Duane, you're a genius!

I don't get it... am I missing something?

Forgive me if I am missing all of the fuzz in tailpipe threads...

Any ideas? I've rechecked in the IC tubes... and can't see anything, and I poked around in there with a coat hanger, and can't seem to find anything clogged in the intake, but I want to see if there are anymore ideas, before I rip it apart any further....

Is there anything that would cause the tailpipe to look furish? I'm not positive the lint I found came form the car, but the tailpipes did seem to be furry, but the next day after it was dried up, there was no more fuzz....

If the rag is in there, it is stuck deep in the intake manifold....
My brother was helping me work on the car, and he is also pretty sure we removed the rag from the tubes....

So maybe it is something else...

I removed the cowl and check all the vacum lines, and all seems well with the lines... But there is a gray and red connector behind the intake right next to the FPR that isn't connected to anything, is this suppose to be connected to anything???

maybe somebody put one in ur exhaust?

i say u remove the rear part of the exhaust and run it, see how it runs, if it runs ok then somebody hates u and stuck something in ur tail pipes, because if there was lint in the tip then its in the exhaust tubes not the intercooler, it would of burnt up in the cylinders.

What might have come from the exhaust pipe was black lint, and it had some white fibers in it... The towels I used were white..

The only thing that makes me think it didn't come from te tailpipe, was that the lint didn't smell like gas or anything...

My 3 year old son could have put something in the pipes, but I doubt he would have shoved it WAY up in there...

I guess I'll go back out now, and put the IC tubes back in and try it again...

Maybe a dog or cat rubbed up against it and left some of their fur on the pipe.

No really, if you haven't noticed a running problem, maybe it will be ok. It's just one of those things that will stick in the back of your mind wondering if it will cause future problems. Like me only torqueing my intake bolts to 11 ft. lbs. I should have known better than that. Good luck.

David

i broke a piece of that stupid valve cover breather on the driver side and it fell into the valve cover. runs like a champ!!! :D

It must have been a rag or something, I put it back together and that lint stuff was comming from my exhaust. It was VERY hard to start, and I ended up killing the batry. Hooked it up to the charger, and got her started and had to give it tons of throttle to keep it running, then I got out, and sure enough the lint was all over the driveway again!

So with my frustration, I just started her back up and give her hell, until it started running smoothly again, and I guess it must have cleared whatever it was in there cause it is running smoothly right now...

A new problem has developed though... Sinse I had all the cowling off, and the wiper assembly removed, I decided to tighten up the heater core hoses. I could tell it had been leaking slightly from there, and what pisses me off, is that I had replaced the heater core back when I had to do the AC evaporator. Any way, it now leaks like a bastard!

I didn't drive it yet, as I had the cowl off, and had only tied up the wiper assembly so I could try to start it up...

I am affraid that with all that extra pressure it has blown a headgasket or something, but i didn't find any coolant or bubbles on the dipstick, but I'm still affraid I've hurt something.

They were full size shop towles I used in the intake, and I can't imagine it was one of those, if it were, I would have guessed it woud have just clogged up the intake manifold, and never woudl ahve started back up. I am still confused as to what it was...

I had no codes, hard or memory through out the whle deal, except for the time I unhooked the MAF, but after that, I cleared the MAF code (66) and none ever came back...

I guess I will take her around the block tomorrow, and change the oil and see if there is any coolant in it and how it looks...

Man this was the wierdest SC ordeal I've ever had....

Thanks for the input guys!

What kind/type of mufflers are you running? Are they the type that has sound deadening packing inside? If so maybe they're coming apart spewing some of that material out the pipe. John

The mufflers are stock for now, but I had a magaflow resonator put in a month or so ago... No cats either...

Ah ha, i just found this on the magnaflow site, and just emailed them, perhaps I can send them a sample of it and see if this is from their mufflers...

"The internal MagnaFlow muffler is designed of stainless steel perforated core, stainless steel wool, and an acoustical absorbent material -- superior to fiberglass (which many other manufacturers use). No baffles, chambers, or louvers. No restrictions at all, just straight-through, wide-open performance with a smooth, deep tone, and each MagnaFlow stainless muffler has a highly polished mirror finish for a show car look."

By the way, I am glad I could amuse some of you :rolleyes:

Last edited:
By the way, I am glad I could amuse some of you
Im sorry, I didnt mean any harm by my remarks, I just find the fuzzy tailpipe image to be funny.
I may come off a bit strange, and I hope it doesnt offend anyone. I'm just hear to learn more about SC's, and have fun. :)
Tom

A mouse may have tried to build a nest in your tailpipe :eek: . But then you'd need two mice, one for each tailpipe. Thats too much of a coincidence.

i think he should just remove his whole exhaust and run it and see how it runs, or atleast just run it from the resonator and up, no rear, im confident someone shoved something in the rear exhaust..

Back