Disassembly of water pump

V6Sprout

Any one know how to disassemble the water pump? I want to powdercoat mine but can't due to the seals and such. I know they can be taken apart adn rebuilt but don't know how to get the impeller off. I know Randy and Connie have a water pump delete plate which has the waterpump shaft on it from the looks of it, so how the heck did you get the shaft out? Other then destroying the water pump in the process? hahaha

Any ideas?

V6Sprout The shaft on my waterpump delete plate is a jackshaft pulley shaft.
And I had to destroy the jackshaft bracket to get my first shaft.

I don't know how you could powder coat your pump.If there would be some type release agent you could use.

I sanded and polished my stock water pump.It took a while to do,because of
all the nooks & crannies.The polishing I did looked good but was not show quality.About a days worth of work will make a nice polished pump.Polishing may fit into the look you want in the engine bay.

Randy

Last edited:
ahh right forgot the JS shaft looks similar tot he waterpump. I know the pumps can be disassembled cause they rebuild them, but there must be a special tool or press to put the impellers on the back, without destroying them. Thanks Randy.

Jamie,On the jackshaft bearing to remove you need to press the outside race to remove.THE outside race & the shaft is the inside race.You cannot just press the shaft out.

I did a post once with pictures of a cut away jackshaft bearing.Named
(cut away jackshaft picture).

I don't know if the water pump is built the same as the jackshaft shaft.
BUT THE SHAFT IS THE INSIDE RACE OF THE BEARING.So you may need to just press on the outside race to remove.

Good luck Randy

Jamie, we did take apart a new water pump to have mine powdercoated. Here is a pic of the removed bearing and impeller assembly. The hub is also shown.

wpbrng1.jpg

You'll first need to press off the hub that the pulley bolts to. Then with a deep well socket or other press tool, you can push the whole assembly out the back of the pump without removing the impeller. Like Randy said, be sure you press on the outside of the assembly, not on the shaft itself.

Be sure to have the aluminum housing of the pump supported around the impeller as best as you can. A 3-4" diameter piece of pipe would be best. Something that is just bigger than the impeller diameter. We broke an old water pump housing as we were figuring out how to do this!

For reassembly, you can heat up the aluminum housing and even put the bearing assembly in the freezer over night so the press fit is not so tight. Use a little anti-seize on the outside of the bearing assmebly and then just press it back in by pressing where the shaft is in the impeller. The press fit will not be tight enough that way where it would damage the bearings. Mine has gone 3 years and 17,000 miles.

It should press back into where kinda green looking ring on the seal is flush against the housing. Then you can support the shaft at the impeller and press the hub back on up to the notched area of the shaft.

Just watch as it comes apart and you should have no trrouble with the reassembly process.

one more quick question, to get the pulley hub off there seems to be a cap on the end of the shaft, is this correct? Or does the hub just press right off? I figure I could use a normal gear puller to get the hub off as long as there is not the cap looking thing on the end.

Back