Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the highest speed an SC can break the tires loose from?

What's the highest speed an SC can break the tires loose from?

i thought i would post the same question that was asked at the club gtp site. just curious... and can you state your approximate wheel hp level/AOD or 5spd/and what gear you were in?
    Last edited by hytorksc; 09-08-2004 at 01:48 PM.

100 Mph

In the rain.
    Scott Bruhn
    1994 SC

My Garage

that's scary.

Quote Originally Posted by hytorksc
    that's scary.
    Yep, if you downshift to 3rd in the rain at 90+ you'll spin. Or simply pop the clutch and shift all the way into 4th on some new asphalt in the rain.

Currently stock I can squeak second barely due to shot suspension and new W-rated tires. I know some here can catch 3rd good.

Not sure if that was what you were looking for or if you wanted to really know if folks can light them up at 60 for 100 feet?

Around 50 mph on smooth surfaces in the winter. 30-35 mph on any surface year round. Power level gets higher as the temp drops. Summer 340 rwhp 420 rwtq...Winter 370 rwhp 450 rwtq.

David

PS: It barks the tires on a hard kickdown from OD to 3rd at 75 mph.
    Last edited by David Neibert; 09-08-2004 at 04:27 PM.
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

are you sure its a bark and not a cry of pain !!!

we all know what your car can do!!

scary even when dry weather. awsome car David .

i chirp into 2nd with my shift kit at 50mph

they break loose around 25-30ish on very smooth asphalt but i really wish they would go up in a Blaze of Glory!!! scare the snot outa the F-body's.................................. sumday

at the club gtp site, those guys were telling that their gtp's were breaking mostly at 15 - 25mph, and a few modded ones breaking above 60mph. someone even mentioned an ls1 breaking at 90 (i don't believe this though). i've seen 6 spd camaro SS and v8 firebirds at WOT from standstill and they don't have that kind of torque up high (unless it's highly modded). i've raced ws6's from 85 mph and when they punch it i heard the v8 scream, but didn't see or hear any tire chirp at those speeds. i think those gtps have front to back weight transfer at wot which makes the front tires easier to spin than ours.

My wife has a 99 GTP and when I put a 3.2" pulley on the supercharger it would burn the tires from a 25 mph roll, but was slower on the top end. I switched to a 3.6" pulley and now it will do it from about 20 mph but not as hard, but the top end power is much better.

When her car spins the tires it keeps pulling straight...when my SC spins them, it gets a little sideways and usually I have to let off before they stop spinning.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

at the club gtp site, those guys were telling that their gtp's were breaking mostly at 15 - 25mph, and a few modded ones breaking above 60mph. someone even mentioned an ls1 breaking at 90 (i don't believe this though). i've seen 6 spd camaro SS and v8 firebirds at WOT from standstill and they don't have that kind of torque up high (unless it's highly modded). i've raced ws6's from 85 mph and when they punch it i heard the v8 scream, but didn't see or hear any tire chirp at those speeds. i think those gtps have front to back weight transfer at wot which makes the front tires easier to spin than ours.
    Ripping tires in a FWD is about ZERO fun factor, IMO.

Edit: Don't forget that Camaros and Firebirds are built to apply the power to the road much better than we are. Larger tires, stiffer suspension, etc.

how do those gtp's run like that without an intercooler? they have the m90 like we do, but i think they run less boost and have higher base compression ratio.

Mine will spin them in 2nd which amounts to about 35mph. Jerking the car around so that it chirps the tires means nothing. I've seen Civics that will chirp em in 4th. All depends on the clutch/shift kit. My tires are quiet, so I don't count minor slippage. At 35mph it WILL spin the tires a little if I punch it. First gear is a joke. Anyway an auto is much better for spinning tires than a stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

someone even mentioned an ls1 breaking at 90 (i don't believe this though). i've seen 6 spd camaro SS and v8 firebirds at WOT from standstill and they don't have that kind of torque up high (unless it's highly modded)
    Actually, i read long ago about a vette zr1 breaking traction from 70mph. in my early SC days (mid 90's), i saw a zr1 get down once on the beltway- i was doing 80 and that thing was right behind me. he floored it and it flew past me like i was standing still. it was very impressive obviously because i can remember it very clearly and i have never been passed by any other car so quickly. strictly dohc 32v power.

someone even mentioned an ls1 breaking at 90 (i don't believe this though). i've seen 6 spd camaro SS and v8 firebirds at WOT from standstill and they don't have that kind of torque up high (unless it's highly modded).

The only thing that I have seen break the tires loose at that speed was a supercharged viper. That was with 800 rwhp. That same Viper guy was complaining about the fact of not being able to catch traction until 110 with a different pulley setup (which he made 1100 rwhp with ). I have also seen a Cobra with 500 rwhp break loose at around 60-65.