What's the highest speed an SC can break the tires loose from?

hytorksc

i thought i would post the same question that was asked at the club gtp site. just curious... and can you state your approximate wheel hp level/AOD or 5spd/and what gear you were in?

Last edited:
hytorksc said:
that's scary.

Yep, if you downshift to 3rd in the rain at 90+ you'll spin. Or simply pop the clutch and shift all the way into 4th on some new asphalt in the rain.

Currently stock I can squeak second barely due to shot suspension and new W-rated tires. I know some here can catch 3rd good.

Not sure if that was what you were looking for or if you wanted to really know if folks can light them up at 60 for 100 feet?

Around 50 mph on smooth surfaces in the winter. 30-35 mph on any surface year round. Power level gets higher as the temp drops. Summer 340 rwhp 420 rwtq...Winter 370 rwhp 450 rwtq.

David

PS: It barks the tires on a hard kickdown from OD to 3rd at 75 mph.

Last edited:
are you sure its a bark and not a cry of pain !!!

we all know what your car can do!!

scary even when dry weather. awsome car David .

they break loose around 25-30ish on very smooth asphalt but i really wish they would go up in a Blaze of Glory!!! scare the snot outa the F-body's.................................. :rolleyes: sumday

at the club gtp site, those guys were telling that their gtp's were breaking mostly at 15 - 25mph, and a few modded ones breaking above 60mph. someone even mentioned an ls1 breaking at 90 (i don't believe this though). i've seen 6 spd camaro SS and v8 firebirds at WOT from standstill and they don't have that kind of torque up high (unless it's highly modded). i've raced ws6's from 85 mph and when they punch it i heard the v8 scream, but didn't see or hear any tire chirp at those speeds. i think those gtps have front to back weight transfer at wot which makes the front tires easier to spin than ours.

My wife has a 99 GTP and when I put a 3.2" pulley on the supercharger it would burn the tires from a 25 mph roll, but was slower on the top end. I switched to a 3.6" pulley and now it will do it from about 20 mph but not as hard, but the top end power is much better.

When her car spins the tires it keeps pulling straight...when my SC spins them, it gets a little sideways and usually I have to let off before they stop spinning.

David

hytorksc said:
at the club gtp site, those guys were telling that their gtp's were breaking mostly at 15 - 25mph, and a few modded ones breaking above 60mph. someone even mentioned an ls1 breaking at 90 (i don't believe this though). i've seen 6 spd camaro SS and v8 firebirds at WOT from standstill and they don't have that kind of torque up high (unless it's highly modded). i've raced ws6's from 85 mph and when they punch it i heard the v8 scream, but didn't see or hear any tire chirp at those speeds. i think those gtps have front to back weight transfer at wot which makes the front tires easier to spin than ours.

Ripping tires in a FWD is about ZERO fun factor, IMO.

Edit: Don't forget that Camaros and Firebirds are built to apply the power to the road much better than we are. Larger tires, stiffer suspension, etc.

how do those gtp's run like that without an intercooler? they have the m90 like we do, but i think they run less boost and have higher base compression ratio.

Mine will spin them in 2nd which amounts to about 35mph. Jerking the car around so that it chirps the tires means nothing. I've seen Civics that will chirp em in 4th. All depends on the clutch/shift kit. My tires are quiet, so I don't count minor slippage. At 35mph it WILL spin the tires a little if I punch it. :D First gear is a joke. Anyway an auto is much better for spinning tires than a stick.

someone even mentioned an ls1 breaking at 90 (i don't believe this though). i've seen 6 spd camaro SS and v8 firebirds at WOT from standstill and they don't have that kind of torque up high (unless it's highly modded)

Actually, i read long ago about a vette zr1 breaking traction from 70mph. in my early SC days (mid 90's), i saw a zr1 get down once on the beltway- i was doing 80 and that thing was right behind me. he floored it and it flew past me like i was standing still. it was very impressive obviously because i can remember it very clearly and i have never been passed by any other car so quickly. strictly dohc 32v power.

hytorksc said:
someone even mentioned an ls1 breaking at 90 (i don't believe this though). i've seen 6 spd camaro SS and v8 firebirds at WOT from standstill and they don't have that kind of torque up high (unless it's highly modded).

The only thing that I have seen break the tires loose at that speed was a supercharged viper. That was with 800 rwhp. That same Viper guy was complaining about the fact of not being able to catch traction until 110 with a different pulley setup (which he made 1100 rwhp with :eek: ). I have also seen a Cobra with 500 rwhp break loose at around 60-65.

David Neibert said:
when my SC spins them, it gets a little sideways and usually I have to let off before they stop spinning.
David, sounds like you must still have a stock type Ford Traction-Lok, or should I say Traction-Loss? Mine was the same way, but after putting the Eaton Positraction in there, it isn't a problem anymore, now it leaves two nice straight tracks. It's also much nicer for launching, because with the stock diff that can sometimes get one tire spinning first, it's a lot easier to break them loose.

Anyway I guess my idea of a rolling burnout is a little different than some, since I figure it's too easy if you can just do a hard downshift to start them going. Try it this way, get moving in first gear, then mash the pedal and see if you can burn out. I have ~ 270 RWHP and around 350 RWT, and from a rolling start without shifting (on street tires), I can burn out at maybe 5-10mph but not much more.

if you have an SC 5 spd with 2.73's vs 3.27's or even 3.55's, which set of gears is likely to give more wheelspin if power is around 300 rwhp range?

would 3.27's or 3.55's be too much gear traction-wise for a mildly modded SC?

I have 3.27's in my SC and from a roll in 1st at 5-10 it will spin the tires. If I shift to 2nd gear and keep the revs up I don't get a chirp, I get the tail sliding out. I want tires that just chirp and hook. I can get sideways in the rain in 3rd at 45 mph, sometimes 4th gear too. When I was racing at Z28 the other day we went from a roll and I revved it up a bit and dumped it in 2nd while going 35 mph. Big mistake, the car wanted to spin around. Had to let off. I am going to need new tires soon. This is w/ 245/45/ZR17's.

a little off post subject-

But with 3.27's on a 5spd, is first gear still useable? Is there a big difference in acceleration seat of the pants? Is it too much for highway driving? My guess is that it will pull pretty good in 4th and 5th gears and still not over-rev.

hytorksc said:
But with 3.27's on a 5spd, is first gear still useable? Is there a big difference in acceleration seat of the pants? Is it too much for highway driving? My guess is that it will pull pretty good in 4th and 5th gears and still not over-rev.

Some have mentioned to me that 3.08's are a good choice between the two, if you're having a tough time deciding as I am.

Back