What's the highest speed an SC can break the tires loose from?

Great 60ft time.

I plan on bring mine down some. ;)

I agree 60ft times are subjective, but it gives you an idea of how well you are transfering power to the ground.
I love the heavier MN12 with its longer wheel base, it makes for a smooth ride, which I enjoy driving my wife's Tbird on the highway.

As for the lighter Mustang thing, when I am on street tires I have to drive like a little old to prevent tire spin and I do not drive it on wet rainy days. :rolleyes:

I haven't come close to pulling off a 60ft time like that when I was driving. The number I posted is what my 91 did with Chris Wise driving on slicks, excellent racing weather with a well prepped track and launching with 100 HP shot of nitrous (aprox 535 rwhp).

Here is the video with him driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM-4qUVKgrA

Here is what happened at the same power level with me driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC57DGP2BKI

All this talk about spinning the tires from a roll is just for fun, but for me it's also a pretty accurate seat of the pants indicator for how much power the car is making or not making. Based on how fast of a roll it will spin the street tires from, and how hard they spin, I can guess within a tenth or two, what it's going to do on the track. Sorta like a butt dyno.

David

well with CAI,10%,exhaust, bigger MAFS/injectors, and a stage 2 clutch(helps to snap the tires into gear, I dont think it makes it faster) I imagine my car CANT be pushing more than 260/330????ballpark numbers.....but I can from a stop make a AWESOME rubber marking looks like this. ALL ON A HALF TREAD SET OF Z RATED STREET TIRES
_____ _______________ __________
_____ _______________ __________ I would say each set is no less than 30' and its very easy to do 1st, 2nd, 3rd for me.... NOW FROM A ROLL........ the most Ive done is dumped into 3rd at about 50(pavement dry as a bone) around a corner(cheating) and drifted(yup i said it) about 40-60'......not cornering ive dumped it into second on a downshift plenty of times at about 35 and pinned it and BROKE EM WAYYY LOOSE to show people its not just any T-BIRD

I hate this cold weather because my car gets no traction. Tried to have some fun on my way to work this morning and the tires broke loose pretty hard from 40mph to about 65. That's the first time that's ever happened to me. These cars are noticeably faster in the cold too. Still having a stock IC might have something to do with it though. :rolleyes:

I don't remember ever looking at the speedometer but I can tell you it doesn't take much to spin the tires or go sideways a little when I shift into third. But I don't know how fast I'm going. So if I'm doing about 90 at the 1/8th pole, how fast am I going at the shift point?

Someone with a better sense of gearing (3.08's) will have to chime in here and take an educated guess how fast I'm going when I make that shift.

Ira

I don't remember ever looking at the speedometer but I can tell you it doesn't take much to spin the tires or go sideways a little when I shift into third. But I don't know how fast I'm going. So if I'm doing about 90 at the 1/8th pole, how fast am I going at the shift point?

Someone with a better sense of gearing (3.08's) will have to chime in here and take an educated guess how fast I'm going when I make that shift.

Ira

You can use this to find it out, use your "redline" value as the shift point:
http://www.fatboyraceworks.com/gears/

Ira

Are you redlining. Tires make a huge deal when talking about this. I guess you 225-245 guys are roasting tires, but my 285 nittos are doing their job. Or maybe my car is just slow, or maybe I am slow. :cool: 3.08 gears

Last edited:
When i do the burnout speed test, I put my skinny front tires on the back.. A burnouts a burnout, with or without sparesssss;)

Are you redlining. Tires make a huge deal when talking about this. I guess you 225-245 guys are roasting tires, but my 285 nittos are doing their job. Or maybe my car is just slow, or maybe I am slow. :cool: 3.08 gears
Well, with 285rwhp on tap I can not spin the 285's in 3rd at all. I guess I'm slow too. :D Who want's to race? :eek:

I don't think that on dry pavement I would want my tires breaking loose over 40 mph. Scary enough in the rain.

I can tell you the Nitto 285's made a HUGE difference over my goodyear 245's

also my car never goes sideways unless its around a turn

I think the lower control arm bushings are getting a little sloppy on my 91 and may be part of the reason the rear kicks sideways a lot harder than my 93 does. It may also be related to the stock trac loc diff vs. Auburn pro I'm using in the 93.

David

Mickey T 28-10.5x16 ET Streets

I don't generally drive like this on the street because on street tires (235's) it is much too easy to break the tires loose in all 4 gears.

Ira

Mine will break loose at any speed!......In the rain that is! heck it would do that when it was stock! scared the crap out of me first time i tried passing somone in the rain! going sideways at 60mph is kinda scary!

My SC has never been driven in the snow since it was new! And after getting cought in just a light dusting flurry one time i decided to never even think about driving it in snow. 100% rust free thanks to it!

Very nice, very nice! i have one that has also never seen snow, or a hard rain, since it was new. its my baby, now my 93 is the DD. rain or shine that lil guy is out pounding the streets, or in winter sliding around like an ice skater on crack.

Back