Thread: My car battery keeps losing charge??

My car battery keeps losing charge??

HI all i have a 92 sc and im wondering why my battery keeps going dead i bought a new one for it drove it for a couple of days about a weeek and a half later my battery was dead the car wouldnt crank over or nothing i didnt leave any lights on in the car and its a brand new one now its gone to??? does anyone have any suggestions thanks....Paul

Have you had the alternator tested? You can do this yourself with a voltmeter. With the car iding, hook the voltmeter across the battery posts (Red lead touching the + post, black lead touching the - post) and read DC volts. Should be around 13.7-15 volts.

But first off, clean the battery clamps and posts with steel wool and be sure they're tight. Not overly tight, snug and then a bit more.

I'm assuming you replaced the battery in the first place for the same reason. Did you have the battery and charging system checked out or did you just assume the old battery was bad? While it's POSSIBLE that you have a brand new battery that's defective, it's more likely that your alternator is bad and not keeping the battery charged. The VERY FIRST thing to do is to check the battery terminal connections and look for any frayed or corroded battery cables. If that looks ok, I'd go back where you bought the battery and see if they can test it and the charging system; most auto parts stores do that for free. If it is simply a bad battery i'm sure it's covered under warranty, but I'm guessing you have a bad alternator. If the parts store finds nothing wrong with either, then you need to take it to a shop that can do a more in depth diagnostic, but don't panic yet....check out the simple stuff first.

Few things to check.

Alternator Out Put Voltage at idle should be 13.5-14.3 Anything More or less indicates a problem. If you are showing 15 Volts you have a Bad Voltage Regulator. This is Internal in your Alternator so it will still need to be replaced.

Check the car for a PARASITIC DRAW. You will need to disconnect the Negative Battery Terminal. Keep all the doors closed. Do not have key in ignition. Once you disconnect the cable attatch a Test light the the batter cable and then touch the negative on the Battery. If it lights up this indicates a Draw. To find the Draw is a little Harder. With the Test Light still hooked up. Go in the car with someone watching the light. Keep everything in the car off with Doors closed. 1 at at time remove a fuse. If the light goes off then you know what circuit your Draw/Short is in. It is time consuming and a Pain in the A** but necessary to be done to eliminate the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by NITRO
    Few things to check.
    Check the car for a PARASITIC DRAW. You will need to disconnect the Negative Battery Terminal. Keep all the doors closed. Do not have key in ignition. Once you disconnect the cable attatch a Test light the the batter cable and then touch the negative on the Battery. If it lights up this indicates a Draw. To find the Draw is a little Harder. With the Test Light still hooked up. Go in the car with someone watching the light. Keep everything in the car off with Doors closed. 1 at at time remove a fuse. If the light goes off then you know what circuit your Draw/Short is in. It is time consuming and a Pain in the A** but necessary to be done to eliminate the problem.
    Or you could remove half the fuses. If the light comes on then remove half of the remaining fuses, and so on. Conversely, if the light goes off then put back half of the fuses that you just took out, and so on.

I had the same problem. It turned out that I had turned on the switch for the fog lamps, they dont work so it didnt show on the outside but having the switch pulled the battery down.

I had one of the power seat buttons pushed in on the passenger seat and it drained my battery 3 times before I figured it out.