Shoehorning in a 460ci

No shoe horn here...

These thing's fit like Ford had a plan to do it themselfs. You can work on them and even change a water pump in a parking lot with simple tools in less than two hours on a hot engine..
You will need a "cobra R" hood to do the swap, of a big scoop of some kind..
If you need any info, give me a hit and I will help you.......Rich

I've finally got one of my 429 blocks sitting in mine - (bare block with pan, heads, valve covers, and bare C-6 attached) - and I did take pics along the way. If you like, I can post them. Rich is right.....the fit is nice, with the exception of hood clearance. Oh, and fabricating the LH header is bound be a memorable event when I get to it.

200433284xmnubd_ph.jpg
Rich is my Idol how about a 428 cj have one sitting here hmm maybe add a blower so its a sc

Attachments

• 97527204siJDrf_ph.jpg
    97527204siJDrf_ph.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys.

Rich,
Thanks for the offer. I will be pm'ing you to discuss. I started my own research about a month ago, but why re-invent the wheel. You have already perfected it.

I think someone needs to wedge a true 'Cammer' into an SC. That would be sweet.

Thing that were tried............

We all knew that any small block would fit. This is a given. So then we started to see what else would fit WITHOUT a cutting torch. The "FE" engines fit as well, maybe even a bit better. The price of these in race form is high. Then it was time for the fun stuff from the toy box... The Boss 429 would go in, but the master had to go as well as a bit of rebuilding on the towers to get the valve covers on, so that was out. The 427"SOHC" was also a good fit till you added the valve covers as well. THis was even more tighter than the Boss 429.
So there you have it, the "what will,will not" fit for the MN12 body...
One thing, the 427 style engine is lower and it does make the hood issue less of a deal............Rich

If I could get my hands on a 427 SOHC, That would be in car so fast...no valve covers...WAIT A MINUTE!!! I just thought about it. How do you know a 427 SOHC fits in!!! Do you have one?? Um...where do you live?? Do you lock your doors at night? That is a rare engine. Congrats if you do have one. Looking to sell?????????? :D

Is there anyway I can do a manual transmission? I love manual and have to have it.

Are you messing about with an FI setup yet?

Where can I find info on this K-member?

So many questions...so little time.

Thanks

pro street rich said:
We all knew that any small block would fit. This is a given. So then we started to see what else would fit WITHOUT a cutting torch. The "FE" engines fit as well, maybe even a bit better. The price of these in race form is high. Then it was time for the fun stuff from the toy box... The Boss 429 would go in, but the master had to go as well as a bit of rebuilding on the towers to get the valve covers on, so that was out. The 427"SOHC" was also a good fit till you added the valve covers as well. THis was even more tighter than the Boss 429.
So there you have it, the "what will,will not" fit for the MN12 body...
One thing, the 427 style engine is lower and it does make the hood issue less of a deal............Rich

Are you saying that the regular 427 engine can fit under a stock hood?

I would like as many pics of the swap as you care to send or post.

I am more curious about motor mounts as well. How did you bolt it down?

Thanks!

90sc big block

gunnspeed said:
I've finally got one of my 429 blocks sitting in mine - (bare block with pan, heads, valve covers, and bare C-6 attached) - and I did take pics along the way. If you like, I can post them. Rich is right.....the fit is nice, with the exception of hood clearance. Oh, and fabricating the LH header is bound be a memorable event when I get to it.
were you able to keep the ABS and ride control like I was, and did you have to change heater cores lines or is there a different one I can use.

Soooo many ????

Can you keep the ride control---- :) YES. how about the "abs"---- :) YES, "IF" you off set the engine to the right of the center by about one inch....Heater-------- :) YES if you give the tubes a bit of a helping hand and bend them just a bit....Will a 427 med riser fit with a stock hood,---- :mad: NO The carb will still be a issue, unless you go with a "dry sump" and a new "K" member... :confused: Now a "low riser" with the flat manifold should work, but I never tried it to be sure. These darn "427's" have gotten so $$$$$$$$ that it is just plain smarter to do a 429-460 style engine.... :eek: Do I lock my door at night----YES--- and I have a 150 pound watch dog to be sure that it stays locked....LOL... :mad: and NO there are no 427's being sold at this time, of any kind....Where to get a "K" member--- :rolleyes: get a hold of Randy Baker, he has a line on them, but they are not the best for every day driving, or so the story goes....
I hope this helps you guys out some, sorry that it took so long to answer, but it has been crazy around here.......Rich

pro street rich said:
...and NO there are no 427's being sold at this time, of any kind...

Shelby is making them. I am not sure how easy they are to get, but I am sure you can get one somehow.

-Steve

2 years ago I went through the thought process on deciding what I wanted to do with my Bird. I was planing on it being used equally for Street, Strip, and Show. I decided on a bored/stroked 351, to 393, and a built AOD. Looking back, and seeing that I am headed towards 70% Strip, 20% Show, and 10% Street, I would of built it differently. I would have used a built 460 with a built Powerglide. I guess it is time for a 2nd project car :)

What about a 351 stroked to 427? Big blocks are too heavy I would think. A turbo'd or SC'd 347 will handle the majority of big blocks out there.

With the torque and HP of the big block, you can get by using the much stronger built and lighter Powerglide to make up for the weight. Then add a turbo and back half it, and look for numbers well into the 8s. My buddy has a built NA 460 in his 86 Bird, and turns 9s with full interior including power windows, seats, and sound. When running at the local 1/8 mile strip, he just pulls off the slicks, and drives it home at the end of the day.

why not a C6?????

They fit right in, sure they weigh a bit more, but they are strong and even the stock shifter can still be used....This is what I have put in all of the ones that I have done. You can get everything on them that you can on a powerglide as well... :confused: Just food for those thinking about this...
Now as for shelby's 427, like I said, they are VERY$$$$$$$$$$ :eek: :eek: This is why I went to the 385 series engines. They are eazy to build, seem to last even if you do beat them, and you still have a lot of $$$ left in your pocket when the job is done. Oh there is one more thing, they do make a lot of go, even in a mild form you can get over 500 to the rear wheels :) :) :) , I know this for a fact..........Rich :D :D :D

A C6 is a lot heavier transmission, and with the horse power per pound it would be if built to, it would be good enough to not benefit from the added gear the C6 would have over the Glide. I also think both the C4 and Powerglide have less lose through them than the C6. Factory stock, the C6 is the stronger of them, but built it is another story.

Next Spring I will be adding some boost to my stroker, so will most likely go with a built C4 to maintain some street-ability, and drop another 70 lbs. I figure the lighter weight of the C4 will make up for the weight I add. If it was going to be strip only, I would be going to a Glide with the added power. My Brother-in-law runs a Roadster in several classes in both IHRA and NHRA running in the 6s, and uses a Glide that gets freshened up each year. It has never broke.

This is a shot of one of his back up engines for it.

431winsor2x4.jpg

Back