Easy Camshaft Sensor Question.......I hope!

edspringer

:confused: are the sensors different for 89-93 and 94-95 or are they the same sensor. I'm having rough idle problems with my 94 SC and my 90 XR7 idles real smooth. Reading some recent posts indicate the CS may be the problem and I wanted to swap sensors from my 90 to my 94 before I go spend the $50 for a new CS.

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under-drive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73mm CL MAF (Blue Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under-drive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76mm CL MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Pro-Torque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Tokico Struts & Shocks, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 LB-FT Torque.

The cam sensor rarely causes a rough idle. If you suspect it, simply unplug it and start the car. It may take a few tries, key off, to get it to start, but once running it should run fine w/o it.
I suspect you have some other problem though.

edspringer said:
:confused: are the sensors different for 89-93 and 94-95 or are they the same sensor. I'm having rough idle problems with my 94 SC and my 90 XR7 idles real smooth. Reading some recent posts indicate the CS may be the problem and I wanted to swap sensors from my 90 to my 94 before I go spend the $50 for a new CS.

Ed Springer
They are the same.

Maybe what Ed is concerned with is...

The alingment of the Cam Sensor. In other words, is it synchonized correctly?

Thanks for the help and info!

I thought they were the same but just wanted to make sure.

The CS is aligned properly. I have the Ford plastic alignment tool and it is set at 26°ATDC.

If I EVER find out why this sucker is idling rough I surely will post the fix since rough idle seems to be a popular problem.

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under-drive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73mm CL MAF (Blue Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under-drive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76mm CL MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Pro-Torque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Tokico Struts & Shocks, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 LB-FT Torque.

Ed...

When I removed my timing cover, I never bothered to use an alingment tool. I made sure to paint the area to line it back up when I reassembled. Seemed to work, but who knows maybe it's off..

Back