deleted a/c belt routing, did u use a ribbed idler pulley?

SuperCoupeSC91

i showed my setup to my friend today and he mentioned that it will eat up my belt, i routed the belt the way u guys do (that run the smaller belt and delete the a/c compressor) and reverse the tensioner but he said it would wear out the belt ? (because of the flat surface ont he inside of the ribbed belt) is he right ? and also after he mentioned it i said, i have an extra alternator pulley from my stock alternator and i'm wondering if anyone put on a ribber idler for i guess being a correct setup ? and if not will using the stock idler wear out the belt like my friend says ? my friends a lil smart, but thought i'd get your guys opinion on this before i change it..i know i'll loose some tension due to my alternator pulley is smaller than my upgraded flat steel idler pulley. but i dont want to kill my belt or go threw them quick.. and maybe i'll look into a bigger ribbed pulley if there isnt enough tension or use a small belt ?? Alex L

oops.. i'd have to have a bearing pressed into the alternator pulley if i was to use that :) i didnt think of that untill now.. but would it be worth it ? i can have it machined (or thrown ont he lave) at my work and have a bearing pressed into it ?? i dunno never herd anyone talk about this ?? Alex L

Last edited:
I'm running mine with the ribbed side over the smooth tensioner. I just did the mod not to long ago so I don't know about the long term wear, but I've put about 800 miles on the car and it's fine for now.

100_3985.jpg

Micah

Micah, nice pipes, i need those intercooler pipes :) i need something like that to do my custom FMIC but lower in the front, nice engine :) where did u get those pipes ? u make'm ? but anyone else have any opinions on this ribbed idler ? Alex L

You dont need a ribbed idler pulley. I have mine like that for almost and year and no problems, im also running a 5 rib belt too.

Back