turbo exhaust

tbirdaj

anybody ever heard of turbo boosting an exhaust to help relieve backpressure? Any info would be great

tbirdaj said:
anybody ever heard of turbo boosting an exhaust to help relieve backpressure? Any info would be great
Yes, In California they call it a SMOG PUMP. It's a belt driven blower that injects air into the exhaust manifold just a few inches away from the head.

I understand they used to scavenge the exhaust with the old GMC diesels. They used a blower not a turbo. I don't know how you'd use an exhaust driven turbo to scavenge exhaust off the top of my head, I'm thinking a belt driven blower would be the only way at the moment.

And no, an M90 would not be suitable to scavenge exhaust. Rotor clearances are too close, and the seal materials are probably wrong for that kind of heat.

Parker Dean said:
I understand they used to scavenge the exhaust with the old GMC diesels. They used a blower not a turbo. I don't know how you'd use an exhaust driven turbo to scavenge exhaust off the top of my head, I'm thinking a belt driven blower would be the only way at the moment.

And no, an M90 would not be suitable to scavenge exhaust. Rotor clearances are too close, and the seal materials are probably wrong for that kind of heat.

something like a procharger? Or could you use the intake force to drive a turbo and expell the exhaust

not too sure, but the concept would be pretty good... I would assume less blown head gaskets?? :) thats a good thing...

Back