Back from another run!

ColoSC

I just got back from another run from Kansas. I make this trip severial times a year to see friends and to clear my head. The trip is 15 hours at normal hiway speeds but I can make it in around 12! This "road course" starts where I live, in the southwestern part of Colorado, an ends in a town near Topeka Kansas and is well suited for the SC. Most guys prefer drag racing, but I like speed! The first part of the course is aprox 7 hours of the most intense road filled with so many curves that you get tired of turning the steering wheel! It crosses severial mountain ranges at altitudes around 12,000 feet. Great if you have a turbo or supercharger! The 'bird handles the curves well!
Then, you pit in Colorado Springs for some much needed rest and a tank of fuel. The next leg is 4 hours of unbeliveable strait, flat, deserted hiway. That's where the bird streches it's legs! WOT for hours! Top speed for the 88 TC is around 135(previous car), 90 SC is 145! The SC is very stable at this speed, a little more than the TC. Then, another 4 hours of interstate to the finish. This last trip was uneventful except for one little incedent. I was on my way back home, 7 miles from Colorado Springs, when I popped over this small hill. I met a Colorado Hiway Patrol just as I was cresting the hill traveling in the opposite direction!! I lifted my foot off the throttle for a split second, but then decided that he was doing 65 (speed limit) and I was doing 145, a 210 mph differance. As I was getting back into the throttle, I saw in my mirror, that he had turned his lights on then go over the hill. About 15 seconds later, he reappeared, in hot pursuit! I figured that since I was already at top speed, and it will take him some time to get up to speed, plus, the patrol car top speed might match mine or exceed mine by a few mph, no intersecting roads for a few miles, I would have enough time to give him the slip. It worked! As I was getting closer to Schriver AFB, I passed a black Corvette. A mile down the road was the main entrance to the AFB where there is a stop light. Just my luck, the light turned red! As I was slowing down, I saw the patrol car getting closer! I was busy getting regestration, insurance card, preparing for a phone call to get me out of jail, when the Corvette saw the patrol lights and pulled off onto the shoulder. The patrol car pulled behind him! As I was waiting for the light to change to green, I saw the officer get out with his weapon drawn! I could see the officer demanding the driver out of the car. The light turned green and I calmly drove on. I don't know what happened to the Corvette, but wasn't going to stick around to find out!
I don't advocate this activity for anyone, makes the authorities ooze with rage, dangerous, could kill someone or yourself! Not to mention, destroying a fine car!
So if you are traveling in Kansas or Colorado, be on the lookout for a low flying 'bird!

Your 1 lucky SOB...I advise you slow that bird down. I don't understand how it could take you 15 hours to get to Topeka, at those speeds.
I live in NE Colo & by chance just got back from Topeka last night.
I was out there for NHRA division 5 ET finals.
I averaged 75 mph ( 565) miles from my home. Made it in 8 hrs.
I didn't see another bird pass me along the way. but didn't leave Topeka until 2:00 pm central time. My car was on my trailer since I lost third gear in my 3rd time trial. I didnt manage to break my previous best ET.
I ran a best of 13.16 @ 103
The trip was great until I broke. My son who also attended, had to drive his Camaro (the car trailered down) all the way home running 4000rpm @ 70-75mph.
I drove all the way out there & didn't get to compete.
My son went out in the first round .
On a worse note, this means I likely won't be going to the SC shootout.
The trans comming out today but likely wont be ready in time to attend.

Since your in CO you should make the trip to Denver for some of our SC get togethers. We always do something for the all Ford (show/race) at Bandamere in the summer. you don't have to race just come hang out or even run the car on the dyno with us. Keep a watch out for info on events & get togethers.

Last edited:
when are you guys getting together, I wouldn't mind going?? That is...unless I'm invited..

Stephen

What city to you go to that's close to here?

If y'all ever come to Topeka, give me a holler so we can get together.

SCCoA people are in my town and I don't even know about it, crazy!

89SCK@t
Yes, your invited, but theres no plans for a near future get together.
....e-mail me
I'll put you in my events folder so your are informed of events.

BlckOnBlckBrd:
Sorry, I was going to post that I'd be at HTP for ET finals but didn't get around to it. It would have been nice to see another SC guy, while I was in town.
Next time we will be there for sure will be Sept 06, for the same event.

Back