Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Corvette vs Supercoupe question......

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    3,477

    Question Corvette vs Supercoupe question......

    Does anyone know how well the 1989-1995 thunderbirds rank with aerodynamics? I have seen some really aerodynamic cars such as the Corvette, Acura NXS, and others. I know cars like the Mustang don't even compare to our birds when compared in this manner. Ford actually governed the new Cobras to 155mph because they run into the aerodynamic barrier soon after. How good are our birds?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,176
    Here is a comparison of several cars, some of which show both Cd and Frontal Area. Most of the numbers were pulled from the SmokemUp website-a website dedicated to drag racing. This site is awesome-check it out at SmokemUp

    Acura NSX Cd .32 FA(Sqft) 19.20
    99 Cobra .38 22.9
    02 Z28 .34 21.6
    03 Z06 .31 19.3
    2G Eclipse .29 20.4
    Viper GTS .35 20.5
    Turbo Coupe .35
    Super Coupe .31

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida, and Upper Mongolia (On weekends)
    Posts
    1,487
    I had to dig up that info on the SC recently when a friend with a '94 Mark VIII SWORE his car HAD to have a better C/D than my SC, even though he had no empirical data on it. He had to eat crow when he found out the Mark was .33 (one site had it listed as .34)


    BTW, I also found out doing that research that my GS400 has a C/D of .29...same as a C5 Vette? Yep.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,430
    My 87 cougar at stock ride height is rated with a C/D of .36...Not bad for what it is
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    6,924
    I thought that I read somewhere where the 89-93 tbirds were rated at .28 CD. I will have to go and find where I read that and post it.

    Shane

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    3,477

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman93
    Here is a comparison of several cars, some of which show both Cd and Frontal Area. Most of the numbers were pulled from the SmokemUp website-a website dedicated to drag racing. This site is awesome-check it out at SmokemUp

    Acura NSX Cd .32 FA(Sqft) 19.20
    99 Cobra .38 22.9
    02 Z28 .34 21.6
    03 Z06 .31 19.3
    2G Eclipse .29 20.4
    Viper GTS .35 20.5
    Turbo Coupe .35
    Super Coupe .31
    Holy S@!t Batman! I knew the our Supercoupes were good, but Damn!

    Thanks for the information guys!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtybird91
    Holy S@!t Batman! I knew the our Supercoupes were good, but Damn!

    Thanks for the information guys!
    I think I read somewhere too that our undersides are also really good. Everything is packed in there to minimize air resistance (and airflow too I guess!).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    3,477

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by JStudrawa
    I think I read somewhere too that our undersides are also really good. Everything is packed in there to minimize air resistance (and airflow too I guess!).
    I lowered my '91 with a "1-1/2 lowering kit. I wonder if this hurt or helped my bird?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    KSRQ
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtybird91
    Holy S@!t Batman! I knew the our Supercoupes were good, but Damn!
    Well, yea. Haven't you ever noticed that when you drive in the snow the snow goes around the hood and windshield??

    Ira R..

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    3,477

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by irar
    Well, yea. Haven't you ever noticed that when you drive in the snow the snow goes around the hood and windshield??

    Ira R..
    Naaa! My SC is not too quick in the snow. Mine didn't come with that 4WD option.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    6,924
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtybird91
    I lowered my '91 with a "1-1/2 lowering kit. I wonder if this hurt or helped my bird?
    I bet it would have helped it. Now less air can get under it and lift it off the ground. Its less of a brick that way too. Why do you think race cars sit so low.

    Shane

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    543
    Theford project engineers built a supercoupe (stock suspension with just a nascar front bumper cover) that went over 200mph just thought i would add that.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by quick35th
    I bet it would have helped it. Now less air can get under it and lift it off the ground. Its less of a brick that way too. Why do you think race cars sit so low.

    Shane
    I think race cars sit as low as possible mainly to lower the center of gravity.
    I would assume that where airflow is concerned, the higher the car the better, because there is somewhere for the air from in front of the car to go.
    But then I'm no expert on aerodynamics.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtybird91
    Does anyone know how well the 1989-1995 thunderbirds rank with aerodynamics? I have seen some really aerodynamic cars such as the Corvette, Acura NXS, and others. I know cars like the Mustang don't even compare to our birds when compared in this manner. Ford actually governed the new Cobras to 155mph because they run into the aerodynamic barrier soon after. How good are our birds?
    i belive there good to 205 mph i could be wrong but i dont think i am

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    3,477

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by quick35th
    I bet it would have helped it. Now less air can get under it and lift it off the ground. Its less of a brick that way too. Why do you think race cars sit so low.

    Shane
    Good point Shane. I did not think of it like that, but NASCAR knows best.

Similar Threads

  1. For that person that ask can a sc beat this car.
    By catwithboost in forum Non Technical Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 06:06 PM
  2. For Sale 1990 SuperCoupe $950.00 (w/pix)
    By Rich in forum Super Coupe Club of Northern California
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 12:14 PM
  3. 89-93 SuperCoupe wheel and tire question.
    By Cody Alan B5 in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 09:48 AM
  4. SuperCoupe HUGS...
    By getblown in forum Non Technical Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 06:15 PM
  5. M5R2 Trans Question
    By Billabong089 in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-15-2003, 01:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •