89 SC 5-speed, 150k, tranny problems, make offer!! SoCal

11psi5.0

OK, so I need to sell my '89 Tbird SC because the transmission is on its way out. (see my thread here http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51486)

I took it to a shop and they tell me the clanking sound I hear is coming from the transmission and probably needs a rebuild. So, I need to sell it ASAP while I look for a new car. Obviously I won't be asking a lot for it since the tranny is likely to blow up soon.

Info on the car:

Grey '89 Thunderbird SC 5-speed with 150,000 miles
Body is pretty clean overall. There is some light rust because this car came from Wisconsin, but it isn't too bad. Dings here and there, but no major dents. Interior is good with the exception of the seats - the front seats are torn (leather) and the back seats are starting to crack. There is a Kenwood CD player installed that works OK and sounds decent.

Mechanically, the car pulls plenty strong and sees 12 psi of boost without any problems (I bought a set of IC gaskets from Tbird88, but only installed the upper two). The exhaust is original and has no leaks or holes.

New radiator from radiatorexpress.com installed a few months ago, brand new alternator, brand new battery.

Problems:
The AC compressor froze up on me a few weeks ago. When you push the AC button, you can hear the serpentine belt squealing over the frozen AC pulley.

As mentioned above, the transmission likely has problems and probably needs a rebuild, or complete replacement. The clutch is perfect.

The car runs and drives just fine right now without any problems, but I wouldn't trust it to drive very far due to the transmission.

Please make an offer. Call Dave @ 949-470-4767

Car is located in Aliso Viejo, CA (socal)

Last edited:
tbsc2.jpg

tbsc1.jpg

So your just going to give up and sell her? Hell I would just fix the tranny and keep driving the car. It looks like a really nice car.

Wheres the rust at? I am almost tempted to come take a look at it, but its a long way from Ohio.

Shane

ill take it off of your hands for free if you like... :rolleyes:

no really I would get it if I had cash, looks real nice

Pick-up

Great!!!!!
Im just trying to make the arrangements to pick it up sunday morning....
I need to get a bigger towing truck but i will pm u tomorrow 4 more details..

How drivable is it????
Thanks Dan

Back