Coy Miller's Car

ERIC SIMMONS

For those that don't know who I am. I worked for Coy and helped on his Super Coupe for quite some time now.

At the moment Coy is out of town and unable to reply. I wanted to respond until he returns. Coy did say he wants to thank all of you and certain others, but I will let him do that in his post.

First of all, I want to say it was nice to meet a lot of you and be able to put a face with your name. It was definitely a race/meet we are glad we did not miss.

We are very excited to have a Super Coupe finally break into the 10's under the SCCOA rules. It has surely been a difficult and long sought after task. Hopefully, we can continue to make these cars faster and more durable as time progresses.

Now, as far as Coy's car:
There is nothing on or in the car we are trying to hide. At the meet the car was in plain view for all to see, with hood, trunk, doors, etc open. There were some who looked at the engine, interior, and at the suspension. So several have seen how the car is set up.
It is NOT an all out race car. It can still be legally driven on the street if so desired.
The body and external appearance is still factory other than the cowl hood and wheels. The wheels and tires were needed because of traction problems.(We were still having some traction problems at Norwalk raceway).
The interior has been altered some. The main reason for the race seats is to make up for the additional weight of the roll cage. The dash, console, door panels, carpet, etc still remains factory.
The suspension is the STOCK IRS. The only modifications are bigger half shafts.
The engine is Coy's standard SII engine which has a factory 3.8L crankshaft, factory heads (CMRE custom ported), factory block, and factory firing order. The heads have Coy's R upgrade. (There is NO changed/odd fire crankshaft or different firing order).
The supercharger was a standard S-model. This was due to the fact that the original M-90 supercharger locked up. (That is one reason the E.T. without nitrous wasn't as good as previously).

I also want to point out one other thing. Coy ran an 11.55 E.T. WITHOUT nitrous in 2002. That time slip was submitted to and posted by the SCCOA. Therefore he still remains the first "NON-NITROUS" Super Coupe to run 11's and the fastest "NON-NITROUS" Super Coupe. (This pass was made with the original Eaton M-90 supercharger done by Charles Warner).

Thanks to the SCCOA for the invitation to the meet, and for the congratulations and support of all others.

We look forward to seeing and talking to you all soon.

Eric Simmons

Hi Eric! Great job you guy's have done with the SC, its really good to see someone do something with these cars that most everybody has said cannot be done. I geuss you guy's dont understand "cannot be done". LOL!!!!
I love it guy's keep up the good work!!!! :D :D

Thanks you guys for coming and showing a side by side race - breaking into the tens. It was an awesome show for the new PRO-MOD class. Thanks to Coy Miller and Mike Siska. You helped establish a new class and put on a great show!

RANDY

Eric, I believe I met you personally at the shootout. I was the one who was going to send you the video of his runs. I'll have the video to you sometime tomorrow. I have a very close up video of his non nitrous 11.99 pass. You can see the launch extremely well in it.

Eric,

First, congrats to all you guys on Coy's team for bringing the SC to this level! I think few would have thought this possible a few years ago.

Second, I believe Coy said the car weighed 4120; is that right? With driver?

Thanks.

Eric,

It was great to meet you. You guys did a great job with Coy's car. Keep it up.

Thanks for coming. It was a real treat for all of us to see the car and watch it run.

Slysc said:
Eric,

It was great to meet you. You guys did a great job with Coy's car. Keep it up.

Thanks for coming. It was a real treat for all of us to see the car and watch it run.

Sly,
Your car is a real strong performer...wish I could've been there to see it on the dyno. Glad you got the halfshaft fixed up, but I heard about your hood and w/shield incident...ouch! Sorry to hear about that. Nice to have met you.

I sure hope this thread doesn't turn into bickering about this and that. It's supposed to be about Coy's car and nothing else. So everyone please ignore certain comments.

Anyway, it was awesome witnessing the historic run....I'm glad I got out of my car in the staging lanes so I could watch. Sure the videos will be nice to watch, but "in person" will always be better.

Congrats on a great accomplishment.

ERIC SIMMONS said:
Thanks to the SCCOA for the invitation to the meet, and for the congratulations and support of all others.

We look forward to seeing and talking to you all soon.

Eric Simmons

Eric, it was good to finally meet you and Coy in person and I am really glad you guys made it. I wish I'd have had more time to check the car out and also talk with you guys about it. It seems that whenever Coy does something new it is always met with a lot of controversy, I guess that's what happens when you are at the top. ;)

Tell Coy he came to within .2 sec of paying out on a contingency for one of his motors. If Kurt K had run the 12.89 that he beat me with he'd have taken home the Pro Street trophy. Bummer, eh Kurt? :D

Congrads to Coy. I wish I'd gone now. If that all the better Kurt ran then I might have had a chance to take that $$ HOME.
As a testimony to Coys motor we are still running our CMRE S2, and after 300+ hard runs in NHRA ET racing its still holding up without ever being freshened up, plus like 15,000 miles of Hwy use as well.

Keep pushing the envelope, maybe we will get the recognition we deserve with these cars, after all its not like you can pick up readily available, proven speed parts off the shelf.

sc shootout

nice job coy, hop to see more of it in up comeing races, makes me wont to get there my self and have some fun, not to meny people will say thay do it just for the fun of it any more.

We thank you all very much for your congrats and support.

BlckonBlckBrd, I think it was Jason? (Sorry sometimes bad with names). I'll look for the email. Thanks

John to answer your question: The weight of the car with Coy in it is 4,120#'s.

To Jim only:

I have been helping Coy on his SC since day one. So I know what has been done to the car.

Coy was the first NON-NITROUS Super Coupe in the 11's. This was done with a factory 3.8L crankshaft (as he has always ran before). Whether alcohol injection was used or not is beside the point. The alcohol injection didn't add power it only decreased the chances of detonation. (It is therefore the first NON-NITROUS (not NON-ALCOHOL) SC.

Before you go and accuse me of bending the truth. I think you should take a look at your own signature “fastest 3.8V6 without the use of nitrous”. There have been numerous times even after the 11.55 E.T. we have gone quicker than 11.91 WITHOUT Nitrous using a 3.8L V6.

I don't know what you consider a light weight car, but be sure you read my reply to John above.

The driver of the car was Coy during the 11.55 E.T. and the 10.85 E.T.

When/if you do put nitrous on your car and get it down the track with a decent E.T., or an 11.55 E.T. without nitrous, and still have a running engine. You can then say you did it the hard way.

I don't know what makes you think Coy has a lot of money backing him, because he doesn't. He is just your average guy supporting his own car (without any sponsors).

No one is trying to take away the fact that you ran an 11.91 E.T. We congratulate you on that, but don't try to take away the fact Coy was the first in the 11's and the fastest WITHOUT NITROUS.

I do not want to get into a big argument over all of this, but some things just needed to be said. As we all know Coy is a man of few words.

Again, We thank everyone else for your positive comments. It was very nice meeting you all.

XR7 Dave said:
Tell Coy he came to within .2 sec of paying out on a contingency for one of his motors. If Kurt K had run the 12.89 that he beat me with he'd have taken home the Pro Street trophy. Bummer, eh Kurt? :D
I'm actually glad I didn't run the 12.89 because I would have been pissed I lost only because of my .004 red light. Anyway, I had to go for it.

I just wish I would have had time to at least talk to Coy at the track. It's been a while since I've talked to him.

Eric,

Glad you guys could make it to the Shootout and that Coy was able to raise the bar a little higher. I know what an 11 second SC feels like, but I can only imagine the thrill of a 10 second ride. Congrats on the huge acomplishment.

Jim,

Please give it a rest.

David

Great work to Coy and team. I can only imagine all the time you guys have spent to make this happen.

Are there any new goals?

Thanks Gary

Back