Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Ideas for removing rounded nuts and bolt...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    2,623

    Ideas for removing rounded nuts and bolt...

    Hey guys, I am doing motor mounts in my little brother's 93 SC, and I have rounded off 2 of the drivers side bolts on the bracket connected to the block.... Well a bolt and a stud...

    The front upper bolt and the front lower stud to be exact... The stud is really badly rounded of, and the bolt isn't really too bad yet. I started off using the 12 pt sockets, and then went and bought some 6pt sockets, and the rounded bolt removal kit (called bolt outs?) from sears (the ones that !%#, bob villa advertises on TV). Nothing has worked. I also tried to heat it up with a pencil butane torch, but it really never got hot enough; block is a big heat sink I guess....

    I've removed the cowl, and got it jacked up as far as I can, there seems to be enough room to work, I can get one arm in from the front and one in from the back. I've tried beating the 6pt sockets on, and they the get tight, but when I get some good pressure on them, they just round the nut more....

    I've sprayed liquid wrench, and let set over night also.

    If I had a welder, I might could weld another bolt to them, but I have no welder....

    Before I pull the engine to get them out, any more ideas about what I can try?

    Thanks guys!
    Last edited by sizemoremk; 10-13-2004 at 01:03 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,335

    Well try this........

    Sears sells a bolt and nut extractor kits. I've used them both and they work great. Used it on a stuck head bolt. If it works there, it will work ANYWHERE.



    Good luck....


    Don

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    199

    depot

    go tohome depot and get the 'irwin bolt grip' set...it is 24 bucks and it is extremely usefull..never failed me once!

    Aaron

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    2,623
    Quote Originally Posted by lube70
    Sears sells a bolt and nut extractor kits. I've used them both and they work great. Used it on a stuck head bolt. If it works there, it will work ANYWHERE.

    Good luck....

    Don

    I used the "bolt out" kit form sears...

    It don't grip enough....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    2,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigme574
    go tohome depot and get the 'irwin bolt grip' set...it is 24 bucks and it is extremely usefull..never failed me once!

    Aaron
    Do you reckon those are better quality than the sears ones?

    I just looked at the irwin site, and they look exactly the same...

    IRWIN...




    CRAFTSMAN
    Last edited by sizemoremk; 10-13-2004 at 01:35 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    526
    I also have used the Sears bolt outs with success. What I figure is you have that bolt rounded so badly that the correct size socket won't grip enough and the other sockets aren't the correct size. If you have room try to use a cold chisel and hammer after using plenty of pb blaster and letting it set overnight. If you hold the chisel correctly and get a bite on the bolt then hammer counter clockwise the sharp impacts of the hammer may shock it loose. (or an air impact hammer if you can get ahold of one). Good luck, John

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    2,623
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnivSpeCpe
    I also have used the Sears bolt outs with success. What I figure is you have that bolt rounded so badly that the correct size socket won't grip enough and the other sockets aren't the correct size. If you have room try to use a cold chisel and hammer after using plenty of pb blaster and letting it set overnight. If you hold the chisel correctly and get a bite on the bolt then hammer counter clockwise the sharp impacts of the hammer may shock it loose. (or an air impact hammer if you can get ahold of one). Good luck, John
    What is PB blaster?

    Is that better than liquid wench? If so, where can I get it?

    I plan to try the chisel thing next, but I don't know how welll I can fit one up in there, and have room to smack it good....

    I'd really love to get it out without having to remove the enigne... I'd have a hard time removing an engine without going ahead and doing head gaskets. etc.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by sizemoremk
    What is PB blaster?

    Is that better than liquid wench? If so, where can I get it?

    I plan to try the chisel thing next, but I don't know how welll I can fit one up in there, and have room to smack it good....

    I'd really love to get it out without having to remove the enigne... I'd have a hard time removing an engine without going ahead and doing head gaskets. etc.
    PB Blaster is the very best penetrant I have ever used. Has worked for me when other things haven't. They call it a "penetrating catalyst". I really can't recall where I got mine, but I think it was Wally World. But Home Depot or similiar places should carry it. John

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    2,222

    BFH & Cold Chisel?

    Quote Originally Posted by AnnivSpeCpe
    I also have used the Sears bolt outs with success. What I figure is you have that bolt rounded so badly that the correct size socket won't grip enough and the other sockets aren't the correct size. If you have room try to use a cold chisel and hammer after using plenty of pb blaster and letting it set overnight. If you hold the chisel correctly and get a bite on the bolt then hammer counter clockwise the sharp impacts of the hammer may shock it loose. (or an air impact hammer if you can get ahold of one). Good luck, John
    AnnivSpeCpe: You're BFH & Cold Chesel idea is VERY SCARY!!!!!!!!

    The Sears Bolt outs are THEE way to go!!!!!!!!!!! Worth every Expensive SEARS penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    PB Blaster is the Ultimate Penetrating Oil!!!!!!!!!! I think I bought mine at Auto Zone.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    East Hartford, CT
    Posts
    3,448
    If the bolt is so badly rounded you can't get the proper size bolt out to hold on it, use the next smaller one and tap it onto the head of the bolt with a hammer until the teeth bite. If your on square that puppy is not gonna to anywhere.
    Brian Oatway
    '94 SC 2.6KB C4 Auto
    9.956 @ 135.12 mph 1.364 60'
    514rwhp/460rwtq
    "Super Uber Club Member" - per Ira
    SCCoA Member # 705

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    2,222

    Irwin vs. Craftsmen

    Quote Originally Posted by sizemoremk
    IRWIN...


    CRAFTSMAN
    The only difference I see in the Irwin & Craftsmen, is that the Craftsmen have a Larger head. The Irwin head is close to the body of the tool. The Craftsmen head is further out from the body of the tool. Makes me think that the Craftsman use's a larger wrench/socket head.

    I'm sure there are cases where a larger or smaller socket head would be desireable.

    68COUGAR

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Oceanside, California
    Posts
    794
    on the stud... "vise grips"... but you need the clamping force of Lou Ferrigno.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Posts
    38
    For the nut on the stud, you could use a tool called a nut splitter.
    you should be able to find one at any good auto parts store.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    SW Oklahoma
    Posts
    70

    Dremel Tool

    I've had to do this with a stuck and rounded bolt on the bell housing on my 89 SC. (The one all the way at the top of the block on the left side) You can use either the grinding wheels or a grinding stone. It will take a while but it can be done. Good luck

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    2,623
    Quote Originally Posted by SCrazy
    If the bolt is so badly rounded you can't get the proper size bolt out to hold on it, use the next smaller one and tap it onto the head of the bolt with a hammer until the teeth bite. If your on square that puppy is not gonna to anywhere.
    I've done that.. it gets fully seated after banging it on, but with significant force, it just looses grip, the next smallest size won't fit at all...

    I've actually worn the flutes on the "bolt out" a little.

    I may try for one more night before hoisting the engine out... With some of the PB blaster ya'll speak of...

Similar Threads

  1. Help...can't friggin remove rear lower C arm bolt!!!
    By pipecraze in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 10:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •