Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Half Shafts

Half Shafts

Im in need of some advice- My CV shaft blew( Grease splattered all over, about 2" of play in inner joint)- I had extras, but the boot is ripped and i dont want to take a chance w/ it. I contacted Raxles, but all they have is the $250 ea/ performance-- more than i need. Are the ones from Autozone, NAPA, etc good enough to support the planned 350HP/450TQ after this winter? If not, does any one have GOOD used ones for sale? Its apart now, and i really want it back together so i can proceed to my motor. Thanx for any help. Adam B

i have found that it is better to buy the best, especially if you are planning on producing a few extra ponies, I'd recommend getting the nie ones, instead of buying a couple that you arent so sure about, and could possibly break again...my .02

Fat Shafts

You could buy a couple of used Fat Shafts, but again, you'd have used axles. It would probably cost as much to rebuild your axles (or Fat Shafts), as it would just to bite the bullet & step up to RAXLES.

We're starting to see CV joint failures, but at what mileage? You might be able to get a pr. of OEM axles from ford. They'll probably last as long as your originals did.

I went with the $500/pr. RAXLES, & never looked back. Just one more thing that I know will never break. If it does, RAXLES will replace it FREE!!!!!!! Will Ford do that?

68COUGAR

RAXLES break...i have 3 of them to prove it, and two times were on the street.

Raxles are crap since Ford stop supplying them with parts, don't buy them expecting them to be stronger than stock (I think they are actually weaker). The stock shafts are plenty strong for 350 rwhp as are the replacement that are sold by Autozone and Advanced Auto.

I've heard that the Mrk 8 replacement shafts are stronger than SC shafts, but don't have any personal experince, because I'm still using the stock halfshafts on both my SCs.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

My Garage

Which RAXLES?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrarthunder
    RAXLES break...i have 3 of them to prove it, and two times were on the street.
    Were they the OLD RAXLES or the NEW RAXLES? The Old ones used Ford CV joints. When Ford shut off their supply of CV joints, RAXLES started using cheaper CV joints. What broke, the CV joint or the shaft? What hp/TQ level are you at? Was there wheel hop involved?

Curious 68COUGAR
    Last edited by 68COUGAR; 06-25-2006 at 11:41 PM.

i have broken bothe the inner CV and the outter CV (x2)...the last time the axle broke I got a ford CV outter when rales sent it back to me. The inner on the right side is a raxle part, as well as the inner/outer on the left shaft that just broke.

If you search back on old posts, the breaking of RAXLES at sc shoutout events didn't involve wheel hop. Inspection of the failed part showed signs of possible hardening issues with the steel.

Never heard anything from anyone before that delt with Raxles on issues with the shafts.

Have heard of no current better replacement than what you can get from Autozone... and those aren't all that good.

Make sure you have a good wheel bearing and the knuckle is in good shape before replacing the shaft. A questonable wheel bearing, or excess movement of the bearing in the knuckle can contribute to failure of the outer stub shaft on the axle.

I have some markVIII shafts for sale. PM me if you are interested, or you could check the local boneyards for some yourself.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyd0g
    I have some markVIII shafts for sale. PM me if you are interested, or you could check the local boneyards for some yourself.
    Alan
    Alan,

Are they a direct replacement for the SC shafts, including the ABS ring ?

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

My Garage

Anyone have any suggestions for something that would support 450+ RWHP for our cars? I mean if Raxles is starting to use cheaper CV joints, is there anyone that makes better stuff, or that would be willing to develop something for us?

Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert
    Alan,

Are they a direct replacement for the SC shafts, including the ABS ring ?

David

yes direct install

Quote Originally Posted by joshbea6
    Anyone have any suggestions for something that would support 450+ RWHP for our cars? I mean if Raxles is starting to use cheaper CV joints, is there anyone that makes better stuff, or that would be willing to develop something for us?
    There sure is.
    I would have to find the company that I talked to, but they would make some level 5 axles for our cars that would support 1000+ HP.
    But the axles were $1700 for the pair, or $1600 for 10+ people.

I can find the info if need be?

sent you a pm. i have a set of used ones.

jeff

Considering one of my half shafts needs replaced and now seeing this thread I did a little research and the MK 8 halfshafts are actually $5.00 cheaper at Autozone and Napa, they do carry different part numbers and I assue that all MK-8's had ABS? If they are a better quality unit and $5.00 cheaper I will definatly get them!