View Poll Results: Polish or paint?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Polish it all

25 46.30%
  • Paint between the letters

19 35.19%
  • Chrome? (anybody willing to lend me the $? )

10 18.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polish or paint

Polish or paint

I've done a large amount of the sanding on my upper IC tube and blower top. What I'm wondering is leave it all bare metal or paint inbetween the letters and lines to make them stand out more. With it all bare they don't pop out but I dunno how well the black would look in there. Anyway here's a pic of how it looks so far and a photoshoped version of it with paint. What do ya guys think?

I polished mine, but left the recessed area below the letters unfinished for contrast.

Here's a pic. I've also polished the lower IC tube, & the manifold adapter. Just haven't put them on yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mcate,
    Where did you get that cold air divider box?
    I've looked for those and can't find one.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Polished...

Quote Originally Posted by NorthrnSCownr
    mcate,
    Where did you get that cold air divider box?
    I've looked for those and can't find one.
    Thanks,
    Tom
    Got it with the Magnum Powers intake setup from Bull at SCP. He probably sells separately if the box is all you need.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mcate
    Got it with the Magnum Powers intake setup from Bull at SCP. He probably sells separately if the box is all you need.

Mike
    Oops, I meant BILL at SCP!

mccate
    Thanks. Im sure "Bull" doesnt mind the free plug
    Tom

I wish I could afford chrome, that would look kick ***! But that is more than I can afford if I want to do any more performance mods this year. Seems most are split in the poll. Figgures, I'm still not sure what to do. Meh, may end up doing what mcate did or paint it. I don't see how I can polish between the letters, short of spending an insane amount of time on it!

That's at least part of the reason why I didn't polish mine between the letters. It would've taken forever. Plus I really like the look of it the way I did it. And the pics don't really do it justice. I'm having my blower polished this winter. Not planning on doing that myself, just too many little places I can't get at. I'm going to have the magnaporting done by Magnum Powers, and I'll just have them polish it while they've got it.

I'll take your word for it looking that good. I'll probably end up doing it like that too. I did sand it a bit, only to 80 grit so that should give enough of a contrast.
    If ya don't mind my askin, how much is the blower polishing going to cost? I've had mine ported already, you'll love the improvement in power and whine! I'd love to get the blower polished as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grims95SC
    I'll take your word for it looking that good. I'll probably end up doing it like that too. I did sand it a bit, only to 80 grit so that should give enough of a contrast.
    If ya don't mind my askin, how much is the blower polishing going to cost? I've had mine ported already, you'll love the improvement in power and whine! I'd love to get the blower polished as well.
    Charles at MP said he'll polish it for $350. I've found a couple places locally that'll do it for $250, but I don't necessarily trust them with a blower. There's a place here in Norfolk that will chrome plate both IC tubes, the blower top, & the intake manifold adapter for approx $650. That included all the sanding & prep work. I'm hoping that, with all the polishing I've done, I might get the plating done for a little less.

Also, for all us 94-95 owners, Magnum Powers might eventually offer a Cold Air Divider for us. In case you haven't checked, the radiator overflow reservoir is on the driver's side on our SC's, not on the passenger side as on the 89-93's. The original kit has a bracket that goes around the intake tube just after the MAF, & it uses the reservoir as a seal. I wrote Charles about making a CAD for us, & he said no one around him has a 94-95 SC to use to design one. I offered to modify one for him, so he sent me one to play with. I've got what I think is a pretty good design ready to send back to him to use as a pattern. I had to do quite a bit of cutting, & I completely did away with the kits' MAF bracket & made my own back plate. Here's a couple of pics of what I came up with. If enough of us express interest in it, he'll most likely put it into production.
    By the way, while I had it bolted in place, I took the car out for a "spin". Romped on it a couple of times, & you can REALLY hear the blower!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Here you go.

I did what I think you want to do, so I hope this will work as a better visual. I did the painting for it looked awesome once it was complete and it also was a lot less to polish and sand etc.

Good luck, it looks great so far, but there is still a long road ahead.

-Tim
    Current Collection
    1994 Thunderbird SC - Auto converted to 5spd

1995 Thunderbird SC - Auto

1994 Thunderbird SC - 5spd
    1989 Thunderbird SC - 5spd - Daily Driver
    1990 Thunder/Cougar XR7 - 5spd
    1994 Thunderbird SC - 3v Project

Re: ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Groth
    I did what I think you want to do, so I hope this will work as a better visual. I did the painting for it looked awesome once it was complete and it also was a lot less to polish and sand etc.

Good luck, it looks great so far, but there is still a long road ahead.

-Tim
    Nice job!!

Just wondering where did you get that double intercooler from? that's the cleanest one so far.