keyless entry question

woodyb1

I purchased my SC used and do not have the original factory codes printed on the warranty card or the sticker on the rear trunk lid hinge. However I was able to find the code on the module in the trunk.

I have tried the original factory code several times. It does not open the doors, however when I press on the keypad the interior lights come on. I am guessing there is power to the module and the keypad. So what is the next step? I read the instructions listed in the following link [http://www.35ththunderbirdregistry.org/Keyless/KeylessCode.htm/URL]

so, trying the default factory setting should erase any new code entered by a previous owner. Am I reading the instructions correctly? If that doesn't work, then what?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Last edited:
According to the 1992 Owner Guide, both the factory and your personal codes can be used interchangeably.
The default factory code will allow you to overwrite the code that was set by the previous owner.
I have a couple of questions:
1) Can you open and close the door locks using the switches on the door armrests?
2) When you pull up on the door handle (without actually opening the door) do the courtesy lamps inside the car and the lamp in the door lock come on? Or do these lamps come on only when you press on the keypad?

J.D. said:
According to the 1992 Owner Guide, both the factory and your personal codes can be used interchangeably.
The default factory code will allow you to overwrite the code that was set by the previous owner.
I have a couple of questions:
1) Can you open and close the door locks using the switches on the door armrests?
2) When you pull up on the door handle (without actually opening the door) do the courtesy lamps inside the car and the lamp in the door lock come on? Or do these lamps come on only when you press on the keypad?

JD,

answers:

1) yes the door locks close the door, however I hear a buzzing sound when I lock or unlock the door.

A door actuator problem? Would this affect the keyless entry?

2) as for number 2, I will try the two conditions when I get home tonight.

I will order a door actuator tonight, I wouldn't think this would stop the door from working, but I guess it is possible.

Woody

Do you hear a buzzing sound when you lock or unlock either door? If so, then you have a problem with the keyless entry and not a door lock actuator.
Can you open the trunk using the factory code?

JD,

the buzzing sound is heard when I try to lock or unlock the door using the power door lock switch on the inside of the door. The sound only comes from the drivers door.

to answer your question from yesterday.............

The lights do come on when I lift on the handle of the door.

I have never tried to open anything other that the drivers door using the keyless entry pad. I'll try that today at lunch.

Thanks for all of the tips, with any luck I will get it working!

Woody

the buzzing noise in the door is most likley the accuator....my 89 cougar did the same thing....and that wouldn't effect the keyless entry...

Okay,

I checked the keyless entry at lunch....punched in the factory default code and then within 5 seconds I tried to open the trunk and the passenger door by pressing the appropriate key. Nothing, it did not work!

I did order a door actuator and will replace that next week. I am not familiar enough with keyless entry systems to know where to check next. Do I just need to break down and purchase another module to test? Is there a fuse (lights come on when I touch the keyless entry as does the interior lights) or something else?

:confused:

Power is supplied to the module via a circuit breaker and a fuse. The circuit breaker is O.K. since you are able to open and close the doors (If my understanding is correct, cars without keyless entry have relays to operate the door actuators while cars with keyless entry use the module.). The fuse also powers the auto day/night rearview mirror, ride control module, etc. If these work then the fuse is O.K.
It's possible that one of the keys on your keypad doesn't work. You could check the keys by testing for continuity at one of the connectors to the module. If you need pin locations, I can post them. If you get a replacement keypad, first try it out before removing the old one from the door as it is somewhat difficult to take out. Plug the new one into the connector behind the door panel (To locate it, follow the cable from the keypad).
The module has two circuit boards (one is the brain and the other has the relays), so if a replacement module gives you a different problem, you can at least try swapping one of the two boards between the two modules.

Door actuator replaced, no more buzzing, everything is great. Still have the same problem with the keyless entry, doesn't want to open when I press the factory code. I took the Module out of the trunk and took it apart. verified the number on the outside matched the resistor locations, all good. So I guess it might be the keypad? If I press the right two keys the doors lock, but every other code does not work.

I would like to try and repair it myself, I'll have to start looking at other options.

The attachment is a partial schematic of the keyless entry. It shows the keypad. You can check the individual keys using an ohmmeter either at the connector behind the door panel or at the module in the trunk.

Attachments

• Keypad.jpg
    Keypad.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 107
Back