Horrible gas milage...

getblown

Im pretty sure that im not the only one getting this kinda gas milage...
-1990 5spd XR7 132k on body 108k on motor and doing 55-56mph usually im getting just over 200Miles per tank... now in my
-1993 auto SC 104k... i could easily get over 300 miles to a tank...

but, if i do 100mph and up for a while like i did the other day with someother SCs at a meet, then i got 290miles on the XR7... this is really stupid..

I dont understand and at $2.24 a gallon for '94 its not cheap. just venting a little bit cuase im confused...

jOe

cato said:
I pull around 200ish on my 95 5-speed, with no air on the interstate.

What kind of gears are you running?

I've got an 89 SC AOD and I get at least 380 to 400 miles on a tank at 75 to 80 mph. MPG in the city sucks though....

the-big-e said:
What kind of gears are you running?

I've got an 89 SC AOD and I get at least 380 to 400 miles on a tank at 75 to 80 mph. MPG in the city sucks though....

Wow, ill believe that when i see it. Thats a lot of miles :eek: ... Ive yet to get over 330 to a tank on any mn-12 and that was with my 91 LS...
Thats actually perfect milage with what the window stickers say...
If we have a 19 gallon tank, then 17-20 miles per gallon then that equals about 370 -400...

jOe

Bad oxygen sensor or both. Makes the engine run rich at regular speed I just went thru it.

I got 472 miles on a full tank of gas once. Travled all the way from Columbus to Indy for the Brickyard, gassed it alot over there, sat in traffic for alittle over an hour, a bunch of city driving, drove home, and then drove to work for two days. All on one tank of gas. I was happy with that tank. Most of the trip I was going about 80mph but then there was alot of 95mph sprints. I never went any faster than than that.

Shane

that is all belivable.....the last road trip to chicago i got 426 miles to a tank before i filled up and that was with a 3:73 gear :eek: :p .......i swear these cars have a mind of there own :D BTW speed limit was 70 probley doing somewhere between 80-100 all the way there

Horrible City / Great Freeway !

My 97 LX 4.6 avr. 26 mpg, mostly freeway. The '89 6cyl gets 26 mpg all freeway with the air conditioner on. The '93LX with 5.0 is strange, as it has the digital dash with the onboard fuel computer. With the cruise on at 60mpg it usually reads 32 mpg. Giving it some gas knocks it down to 21 or so mpg. Resetting the computer and driving around the city nets me a whopping 14 mpg. So what does THAT tell you about how driving conditions affect overall gas mileage!

Holy **** guys... mabye i just need to ... i dont know, but something cuase this 220 pertank is kickin my ***

jOe

Well, the first place to start is checking for codes. If no codes, then next on the list would be bad cats. What kind of vacuum does it read cruising about 70mph? Should be 10-13 in hg, based on what I see on my Cougar.

Parker Dean said:
Well, the first place to start is checking for codes. If no codes, then next on the list would be bad cats. What kind of vacuum does it read cruising about 70mph? Should be 10-13 in hg, based on what I see on my Cougar.

Well then my cats are clogged completely cause if i decel at 70 i pull 25-27in.mc but if i stay steady in5th at 70 its like 17-18... like ive said before im the 8th owner so i highly doubt the exhaust has been done before for the cats anyways... and there is no codes, my buddy has the new LOTUS scanner from Snap on so...

jOe

I'm getting poor milage also. I know I had a blocked cat, well broken cat would more like it. I had bottom out on the cats afew times. I live ina new area, tons of **** to hit. So I replaced the cats. Guess what still the same milage. I checke dfor codes, nothing at all came up. So now I think the honey combs from the cats have been lodged further back in the exhust system somewhere.

After driving for a while, when the cars on a hoist, you would be able to almost touch the cat, if its been cutted for is broken. If the other cat is hot, as it should be, then the cold cat is the blocked or broken cat.

Back