Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator ?'s!!!

SeanMatteson

Hi all!

I'm currently working with Steve Richards to put his beautiful '89 SC back together. The motor and tranny have been out of the car for the past two years (almost), and finally we're working on getting a powerplant back into the freshly refinished body.

Last night we found that we had a fuel leak at the fuel pressure regulator. Steve is running some big injectors, and the tune calls for higher than stock fuel pressure, so he was planning to run an Aeromotive AFPR. At first we thought we had made some sort of mistake in mounting the new unit, like a missing o-ring, or gasket, or that the bolts weren't tightened down all the way. I never thought it possible, but we managed to re&re the regulator without removing anything we hadn't already bolted on (including the lower IC tube, the inlet elbow, or the supercharger), and this is an '89 with the big, clunky Teves Mark II brake hydraulic unit. If you don't want to take my word for it, you can ask Ed Nicholson, the president of the SCCoO, because he helped re&re the unit a second time today when we found it was still leaking.

Anyway, the story is that Steve bought this unit well over a year ago, but it never got installed before last night. It was brand new. Unfortunately, the warranty is only good for 90 days from the date of purchase, so we knew he was SOL. We decided it couldn't hurt to disassemble the unit to try to determine what was wrong with it.

The first thing we noticed was that mating surface on the bottom half of the unit was marked with scratches. It looked like the part had been dropped and kicked around the shop floor before it was ever assembled at the factory! We just couldn't see how this would be condusive to getting a good seal in the unit. I'll forewarn you that my camera isn't very good for closeup shots, so the images are a little blurry. Here's a pic showing the issue:

AFPR_Bottom_2.jpg

Then, to make matters worse, we found that the diaphragm inside was not punched properly. The main mount for the actual valve was off-center, which results in there not being an equal amount of material around the circumference to create a good seal. Furthermore, the notches around the circumference for the four assembly bolts were not located properly. This resulted in the bolts actually cutting and deforming the diaphragm when the unit was originally assembled. Here's a pic showing the issues:

AFPR_Diaphragm.jpg

...And here's a shot of how this poorly shaped diaphragm actually fit in the body of the AFPR:

AFPR_Top_2.jpg

Also, when we first discovered that the unit was actually leaking from where the two halves of the body go together, we noticed there are a couple of extra holes drilled and tapped in the bottom half of the unit. These are countersunk like they should accept some screws to help hold the unit together, but are holes only in the bottom half, that actually end at the rubber-like material that is the diaphragm. In the following pic, then can be seen at approx. the 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions. Does anybody know what these are for? Should there be screws in these holes sealing up the bottom of the unit? Should they have some kind of 'fuel-friendly' thread sealant on them?

AFPR_Underside_1.jpg

So...

As you can well imagine, we're not at all impressed with the lack of quality that the Aeromotive unit has displayed to us. I used to think that Aeromotive was one of the best names in the business, but now I'm hoping there's actually some manufacturer who can build a quality AFPR. That's the whole purpose of this post. Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem with an AFPR? Which brand(s) are to be avoided?

We need to have the ability to raise the pressure from stock ASAP, so any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

P.S. If you're interested in more details about this project, you can check out another thread over under the SCCoO forum. Look here!

Last edited:
Sean,

I had two of those same regulators leak on my SC....one was after about 6 months...the other was the new replacement, which leaked in the same place Steve's did as soon as we installed it. Prior to that I had a Holley adjustable that lasted about a year before it malfunctioned.

After the second Aeromotive started leaking, I installed a used stock regulator and have been using it ever since without any problems.

I think the Aeromotive Universal regulators are good but the Mustang 5.0/T-Bird one is not made very well. If you guys are convinced you need an adjustable, I would suggest trying the Kirban that Rich at MN12 Performance sells.

David

PS: The fuel rail does need a little grinding to clear the diameter of the Aeromotive or it won't sit flat and seal against the rail.

Last edited:
David Neibert said:
I think the Aeromotive Universal regulators are good but the Mustang 5.0/T-Bird one is not made very well. If you guys are convinced you need an adjustable, I would suggest trying the Kirban that Rich at MN12 Performance sells.

David,

I'll pass the suggestion along to Steve so he can get in touch with Rich. The other problem is that we need a replacement AFPR fast! ...I need to get this car mobile so Steve can arrange for an e-test and renew the license sticker. Then he can get it home for the Winter.

David Neibert said:
The fuel rail does need a little grinding to clear the diameter of the Aeromotive or it won't sit flat and seal against the rail.

We noticed this, and in fact we removed that whole leg of the bracket, so that we could even make use of the 1/8" NPT port for Steve's aftermarket FP guage.

Cheers,

Sean

Anybody else?!

Has anybody tried the Kirban unit that David talked about? I noticed that regulator doesn't seem to have provisions for a port for a gauge. What about the quality of the Kirban units?

Regards,

Sean

You absolutely do not need an adjustable regulator on that motor. Adaptive will more than take care of the possible difference in fuel flow, and if you change injector size to 39 that will also correct any pulse width issues.

Sean or Steve,
I have a AFPR I'm not using yet that if you need you can use it till you get one. let me know
I'm at school right now.

XR7 Dave said:
You absolutely do not need an adjustable regulator on that motor. Adaptive will more than take care of the possible difference in fuel flow, and if you change injector size to 39 that will also correct any pulse width issues.

Dave,

Steve is running 50lb/hr injectors. He was told that the spray pattern would not be correct unless the pressure was upped from stock to 43 psi static. Are you sure he'll be OK with the stock regulator? If so, what needs to be changed in the tuner file if anything?

Jason,

What brand and model of AFPR do you have?

Thanks,

Sean

SeanMatteson said:
Dave,

Steve is running 50lb/hr injectors. He was told that the spray pattern would not be correct unless the pressure was upped from stock to 43 psi static. Are you sure he'll be OK with the stock regulator? If so, what needs to be changed in the tuner file if anything?

Jason,

What brand and model of AFPR do you have?

Thanks,

Sean

I'm running 50 lb/hr injectors with the stock regulator and haven't had any problems. I actually have a kriban AFPR that I never installed because of all of the problems people were having the AFPR's at the time I installed the new engine.

Sean I run 60lb injectors with a stock regulator. I did perform a slight adjustment to the fuel curve, but I was not lean with a standard tune. If you want to change injector size to compensate then go with 48lb's in the file.

Dave N., Dave D. and Kurt,

Thanks for the advice. I'll pass the information along to Steve. It's good to know that for the time being, the stock FPR that we installed to be able to start the engine should work just fine. I'll get Steve to inquire with the tuner (Dr. Fred) regarding whether a change is required in the file, and I will likely let them handle that. ...I don't have Dave D.'s confidence just yet. ;)

Has anyone tried the version of the Kirban unit that Rich is selling? It looks to be of a superior design than that of the Aeromotive unit, in so far as how it grabs the diaphragm and creates a seal between the two halves of the regulator. I just wish it had provisions for an 1/8" NPT gauge port. :rolleyes:

Jason,

If you could let me know the details concerning the AFPR that you've got, I would appreciate it.

Best regards,

Sean

Sean,

I've got MSD 50# injectors and contrary to what everyone told me two years ago when I installed them, if you have a properly calibrated MAF, they work fine at stock pressure and the car will also start, idle and drive just swell even without a chip or tuner.

David

David Neibert said:
Sean,

I've got MSD 50# injectors and contrary to what everyone told me two years ago when I installed them, if you have a properly calibrated MAF, they work fine at stock pressure and the car will also start, idle and drive just swell even without a chip or tuner.

David

David,

That's great to hear, and that's really what my big concern was. I didn't want for us to be fighting problems with getting the car to idle not knowing whether it was a lack of fuel pressure that was a contributing factor.

I'll talk to Steve to see if he can work with Fred to get the tuner file adjusted accordingly.

Again, thanks to all of you guys for your input!

Cheers,

Sean

BT Motorsports said:
Sean, you may want to reference this thread for some more information: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31019&page=1&pp=15&highlight=fuel+pressure

Thanks, Paul. That was very informative.

More and more it's sounding like Steve will be just fine with a stock FPR. Now I'll just have to take a look at what's involved in plumbing in his aftermarket fuel pressure gauge. I guess I'll have to use the schrader valve on the fuel rail.

Best regards,

Sean

If you run lower fuel pressure in the injectors (39 vrs 43) you may find you are off on AF lean by .5 (12.0 commanded becomes 12.5). Not enough to blow up or damage anything and certainly not enough to cause a driveability issue. This is less than the typical correction needed from any typical MAF replacement. So in other words, if you are brave enough to run an aftermarket MAF without a dyno tune, then running stock ressure should not bother you in the least. ;)

I found out tonight that these are CPR injectors, which apparently are actually the Delphi-style units. I understand that people have had issues with running the old Lucas injectors (same style) on stock fuel pressure. Are we still going to be OK with stock pressure?

BTW, the car ran tonight. The idle is a little rough, but I've checked for vacuum leaks and can't find any. We are questioning whether the IAC is working properly (it's a new sensor, but hadn't been tested before the big swap). I'm not sure of the cam specs, but it's pretty lumpy!

I think Steve's smile will be etched in my mind for a while now. He was pretty happy to finally hear her run and idle on her own.

Thanks again for all the help, gang!

Best regards,

Sean

Back