"Pregnant" battery

HSKR said:
Sounds like you bought the same charger that I did. Be careful. The clamps are cheap. The negative clamp for the battery just fell apart on me yesterday. Might have to switch to using the cigarette lighter attatchment, or actually hook up the ring terminals to my battery since I eem to use it all the time.
Does this charger help with your chronically undercharged battery? I think it's more appropriate for charging motorcycle batteries and only for maintaining car batteries. That's why the clamps don't open wide enough to fit over the battery terminals.
The ring terminals that are provided are too small as well. One of the reasons that I bought this charger was to use ring terminals and leave the little plug sticking out so that I wouldn't need to open the hood every time. After the hydrogen gas warning, I'll keep the hood open to avoid another Hindenburg.

HSKR said:
Sounds like you bought the same charger that I did. Be careful. The clamps are cheap. The negative clamp for the battery just fell apart on me yesterday. Might have to switch to using the cigarette lighter attatchment, or actually hook up the ring terminals to my battery since I eem to use it all the time.

Love color of your bird there Bryan... As far as the trickle charger as long as you've got one that will stop at max charge you should be ok no matter the brand.. My worries would be what kind of damage we may be looking at from leaking acid. Thats an area close to your IC as well as the tubes.. and god forbid you get splash om your threading to the IC area bottom srea especially since a perfect seal is so vital here. I myself (sadly enough to say) haven't had much of a "freezing" problem in my neck of the woods :rolleyes: but just the thought of acid damage in any of these parts makes me cringe. hope you can get this problem fixed fast my friend any help I can give feel free to give us a wave....

Rick in FL :cool:

The hole was in the opposite side of the battery, so there was only paint damage. I don't know why there's no rust; possibly because the fenders are galvanized. Or maybe because it's not as humid as Florida. :)

J.D. said:
Does this charger help with your chronically undercharged battery? I think it's more appropriate for charging motorcycle batteries and only for maintaining car batteries. That's why the clamps don't open wide enough to fit over the battery terminals.
The ring terminals that are provided are too small as well. One of the reasons that I bought this charger was to use ring terminals and leave the little plug sticking out so that I wouldn't need to open the hood every time. After the hydrogen gas warning, I'll keep the hood open to avoid another Hindenburg.

Actually, if you set it on the 2amp setting, it charges fairly quickly. I had an Optima for my truck that sat for 5 months while I was gone and was ran down to about 5V. That little charger only took like 4 hours to get it fully charged to 13V. The clamps fiit good on my battery, but I ave different terminals on the cables and don't actually clamp to the battery posts.

Mine is the smaller model - 1.5 amps slow charge. The only switch is for selecting 6 volts or 12 volts.

J.D. said:
Mine is the smaller model - 1.5 amps slow charge. The only switch is for selecting 6 volts or 12 volts.

Ahh, I don't have a 6v option. Just a 12V battery charger with 1 amp or 2 amp settings, and the smart charging feature that will turn it off and monitor the batttery like yours.

Back