Supercharger rebuilding options?

Shockwave

My rotor pack in my 89 SC is in need of some bearings. I called Magnuson and they quoted me $1100 plus $200 core for a ready to go unit. The salesman told me they don't sell parts.

I was looking at Superchargeronline.com and they will sell a rebuilt early blower for $500. They say they will replace rotor bearings if needed. Anybody dealt with these people?

Another option would be to install a newer rotor pack and rebuild the rest of the blower myself. I can replace snout bearings, couplers, and rear bearings, but I'm not ready to try the rotor pack bearings. Anybody know where you can get some nice low mileage coated rotors?

Thanks
Jerry

Get a set of rotors from a 98-02 GM M90. The 2003-04 may work also. You can find the GM superchargers on Ebay from $100-300 . You just have to move the 2 alignment pins/sleeves to match your old rotor pack.

How easy is it to remove the line up pins? Are you talking about the line up pins for the snout?

Jerry

Shockwave said:
How easy is it to remove the line up pins? Are you talking about the line up pins for the snout?

Jerry

Damn near impossible, besides if they are not damaged then don't worry about them. I wouldn't recomend replacing the rotor pack bearings unless you want a lot of headaches. The bearings have a lip rolled over the edge of the bearing and you must machine the lip off and fab a plate to hold them in place. The seals are also very hard to find. Most of the time it's the snout bearings or the needle bearings in the rear of the blower. Manguson does not repair rotor packs only replaces them.

Jeff

J57ltr said:
Damn near impossible, besides if they are not damaged then don't worry about them. I wouldn't recomend replacing the rotor pack bearings unless you want a lot of headaches. The bearings have a lip rolled over the edge of the bearing and you must machine the lip off and fab a plate to hold them in place. The seals are also very hard to find. Most of the time it's the snout bearings or the needle bearings in the rear of the blower. Manguson does not repair rotor packs only replaces them.

Jeff

Well I have replaced the rear roller bearings as they were wore out and the grease was burned up. I think this accelerated the wear on the rotor pack bearings. Anyway, the reason I was asking about the line up pins was because cougarsc said they were in a different position on the GTP M90. I just found this pic of a GTP rotor pack on eBay. Are these lineup pins in the wrong place for a Thunderbird M90 case and snout?

Jerry

Attachments

• 0f_3.jpg
    0f_3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
No their not I have both rotor packs and snouts and the only problem I have is that the GP snout hits the non-driven shaft. I post a pic later.

It might also depend on year model. 05 and later blowers use a bolt patern similar to the M112.

Jeff

Shockwave no one and I repeat no one except Magnuson truely rebuilds the Eaton blowers. The reason is Magnuson is the only people out there that address's the rotor pack bearings and seals, so the truth is no one but Magnuson TRULY rebuilds the Eaton blower. Should your rotor pack bearings and or seals fail your blower is a paperwieght unless you send it to Magnuson and pony up the money.
Why do you think so many snout seals blow? Because 99% of the time the rotorpack seals are leaking boost into the front gear area of the blower and the snout seal is not designed to handle that kind of pressure. The front snout seal blowing is usually the first indication you get that the rotorpack seals are going.

J57ltr said:
No their not I have both rotor packs and snouts and the only problem I have is that the GP snout hits the non-driven shaft. I post a pic later.

It might also depend on year model. 05 and later blowers use a bolt patern similar to the M112.

Jeff

I see what you mean now I thought you were refering to the pin drives on the shaft and snout. I have to see how hard the dowels are to get out. I have a early GM M90 snout that fits perfectly so I wonder if there is a change? I also noticed that the rotors on the 99' GM M90 look anodized.

Jeff

Thanks George for the link. Unfortunately MP does not replace the rotor pack bearings and seals. I can replace the front seal, snout and rear bearings myself for about $50. I have already rebuilt one early M90. Of course that was on a 93 and that blower was caught early.

J57ltr, you are probably right about early GM M90s using the same pins, but I figured it would be better to use the newer coated rotors from the 98 up blowers. Not to mention that early rotorpacks are probably going to have as many miles on them as mine. I was told by Conan56, that only one pin is in the wrong position. He recommended that you just drill out that one hole location on the case and snout so the pin could stay where it is. It makes no sense to me for Eaton to move the lineup pins except it was to force the T-Bird blowers to be sent to Magnuson for rebuilds.

MIKE 38sc, I'm going to call Superchargersonline and ask some detailed and specific questions about the rotorpack bearings and seals. I'll let you guys know Monday.

Jerry

MIKE 38sc, I'm going to call Superchargersonline and ask some detailed and specific questions about the rotorpack bearings and seals. I'll let you guys know Monday.

Jerry

Been there and done that, but maybe things have changed.
TBird88 has the rotorpack bearings and seals to rebuild the rotorpack, but as mentioned you will have to do some machine work to pull it all off.
I'll be doing my own rebuild as soon as I can buy the parts from Wynn.

MIKE 38sc said:

Jerry

Been there and done that, but maybe things have changed.
TBird88 has the rotorpack bearings and seals to rebuild the rotorpack, but as mentioned you will have to do some machine work to pull it all off.
I'll be doing my own rebuild as soon as I can buy the parts from Wynn.

Mike 38sc, please share your experience with me. Did you get a rebuilt blower from these people? I found out that the company superchargersonline uses is PSE Superchargers . According to PSE process ,

" A core is completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected and all clearances checked. All bearings and seals in the front housing are replaced with new High Quality Torrington Premium Bearings. PSE replaces all housing bearings and rear needle bearings with new High Quality INA Premium needle bearings. PSE also installs brand new bypass butterflies and updates all butterfly assemblies so that premature wear and boost loss does not occur. PSE has improved front nose drive sealing on EATON units that prolongs the life of your unit.

The gears, bearings and rotors are carefully inspected and when needed, pressed off the rotor shafts for replacement of the shaft bearings and seals. The rotors and gears are lined up in correct phase and pressed on using only the latest, top quality equipment. "

They warranty the drive for 3 years, has anybody actually dealt with PSE or Superchargersonline, and if so please give a detailed account.

Jerry

J57ltr said:

Jeff
Where's da luv?...Got 'em right here!

seal7196.jpg

'bird

Shockwave said:
Mike 38sc, please share your experience with me. Did you get a rebuilt blower from these people? I found out that the company superchargersonline uses is PSE Superchargers . According to PSE process ,

" A core is completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected and all clearances checked. All bearings and seals in the front housing are replaced with new High Quality Torrington Premium Bearings. PSE replaces all housing bearings and rear needle bearings with new High Quality INA Premium needle bearings. PSE also installs brand new bypass butterflies and updates all butterfly assemblies so that premature wear and boost loss does not occur. PSE has improved front nose drive sealing on EATON units that prolongs the life of your unit.

The gears, bearings and rotors are carefully inspected and when needed, pressed off the rotor shafts for replacement of the shaft bearings and seals. The rotors and gears are lined up in correct phase and pressed on using only the latest, top quality equipment. "

They warranty the drive for 3 years, has anybody actually dealt with PSE or Superchargersonline, and if so please give a detailed account.

Jerry

Jerry I answered your PM but maybe you did'nt get it. :confused:
No I did not get a rebuilt blower from Superchargers online. I did however speak to them about it and was told that no they did not replace the rotorpack seals and bearings, so thats all I know.

Here is a pic of the GM and SC rotor packs. The Gm is on the right. From the looks all the bolt holes are the same diameter as the alignment dowels. So it might be possible to press it out and repress it into the lower hole where it needs to be. I don't have my "T"'s or calipers here but I'll check Tuesday.

Jeff

Attachments

• GP vs SC.JPG
    GP vs SC.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 92
MIKE 38sc said:
Jerry I answered your PM but maybe you did'nt get it. :confused:
No I did not get a rebuilt blower from Superchargers online. I did however speak to them about it and was told that no they did not replace the rotorpack seals and bearings, so thats all I know.

Mike 38sc, I got your PM thanks. I called and talked to a sales rep, she didn't know about the rotor pack bearings and said that I needed to talk to the owner Ed Martinez. She took my number, but I didn't get a call back yet. I will call again tomorrow since it's a toll free number. I'll report back what I find out.

Jerry

Back