start up problems

smoSC

k, reasently my car had it's motor swapped, and the motor that went in had a bad cam sensor. but for sum reason the mechanic thought it was the wire going to it. so he cut the wire and put his own in there. then after, we replaced the sensor with the one off the old engine, which i knew was fine since i never had a problem with it. but now, the motor wont start most of the time. sumtimes it starts fine, but other times it just keep crankin and it sounds like its backfirerin a little. so basically the motor cant find the timing to start. but wayt could it be? the sensor was replaced, and i made sure that the wire is tightly connected. if neone can help it would be appreciated as i'm am really loosing pacience with this car

I've read several posts that if it starts one out of 3?? tries then it can be the cam sensor. Don't let this sound like I know what I am talking about as I am just recalling from memory of old posts. Mike38SC explained this in better detail, but if the EEC can't tell where the cam is, it will try to fire the injectors with one of 3 possibilities. If the car starts one out of 3??? tries then I would think there lies your problem.
Isn't the wiring harness from the cam sensor not very long (like maybe 6 inches??) and plugs into the main harness? Can anyone verify this? If your mechanic spliced it, sounds like maybe he messed up. Easiest fix - see if anyone has that shorty harness for sale in the for sale section. Harder fix - Try to re-splice and fix what the mechanic cut/spliced.

Back