Please Help, no start,Im gettin pissed

Dahoopd

This car is making me sick. :( I still have this problem with no start. It starts with the old screwdriver but thats it. I have replaced the solenoid, starter, battery, ground and negative cable, the lock cyilinder, and the ignition switch. I am at my wits end and really ready to get rid of it or trade it.

I dont own a volt meter and have no access to one now. I have never been faced with an electrical problem before. Whenever it may be a part, I just replace it.

PLease help me, I have no patience and I am really tired of this POS. Thanks for letting me vent. :mad:

Hmmmm......

You may want to try the technical forum. Also, have you previously had an alarm installed on that car that may interfere with your ignition? :confused:

Check Here!

Dude, I had a 90 5sp. That did the same thing. Absolutely no explanation! I finally looked up under the dash to see that the safety switch on the clutch pedal had broken off (cheesy plastic). Let me know.
Frank

Nope

Man I forgot to put that. I replaced the clutch switch also. Yes it is junk and a ***** to put back in. (love my zip ties) The only thing left is a fusable link some where I guess. There seem to be two by the solenoid. The only ones I have found in the parts store have an eyelet on the end. I am lost.

Im thinking I should just bring the whole car to the next shootout and let you guys roast marshmallows over it because im gonna torch the SOB

Hey

Im actually in Baltimore now. The car just wont start. I dont have a anti-theft box in the trunk. So I am assuming there is no factory alarm. I can turn the key, No click, nothing. I have dash lights, full power yet it doesnt crank over. No click. The only way to start it is by the solenoid. The only thing I can think of is putting in another column. Thanks for the help.

Seeing how as I don't have an answer for you all I can do is make a suggestion a whole lot easier that a new column. Install a spring loaded push button switch down near the hood release. It will not only be unique, it will foil nearly all would be thieves. 10 minute job.

at the dash in center under the consol is a plug where the trans connects to it you have a nuetral safty on trans it can go bad on mine I jumped it at the harness,, you just jump these two if you jump the first one to on right with the two it starts from harness so make sure its out of gear . and park brake on . dont want to get wrong wire and bang up your car.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    86.1 KB · Views: 77
My bad, and I apologize. The neutral safety switch did not occur to me, and it should have. Of course it has been thought of by only one of us so far, but I have a pretty good excuse.

???

Manny, can you tell me where the switch is on the tranny or what to replace. Am I suppose to jump it to test it. I will replace it if it can be. Thanks for the drawing.

Yeah, i'd say check or replace that neutral switch and go from there. You've replaced the basic things. If it doesnt work after working with that neutral switch i'd star looking at wire problems. Could be that ur terminals are shot, that the battery wires are disconnected at teh bottom or soemthing else.

Oh, and are you living in baltimore now?

Dahoopd said:
Manny, can you tell me where the switch is on the tranny or what to replace. Am I suppose to jump it to test it. I will replace it if it can be. Thanks for the drawing.
sorry my book is in bakersfeild ca I loaned it out and dont remember which it is trace the wires back from harness they are color coded .

WooHoo Manny, but it taint it

Let me start by saying that this started after I replaced the carpet and changed the battery. Anyway, I pulled the center console as Manny said. Wala, the plug was unplugged. (big stupid grin) Anyway it didnt fix the problem when I plugged it in. It did however fix my speedo and I was going to the yard this weekend to get another gauge cluster. Thanks for that. One less pissed off moment.

I jumped the two connectors in your pic manny and it did nothing. I even jumped the two you said dont jump. Nothing. I cant get my car inspected until the ingnition is fixed.

Damian, see the attached starting circuit for your car (manual transmission and no anti-theft).
Take a long wire, connect one end of it to the red-light blue wire at the lower terminal of the clutch triple function switch in the diagram, connect the other end of the long wire to the red-light blue wire at the upper terminal of the starter relay in the diagram, and then try to start your car using the ignition key.
If the car starts, then you have a bad connection somewhere between the clutch switch and the starter relay.
If it does not start, then you have a problem with the ignition switch, the clutch switch, or the wire between them.
I cannot make it any easier than this!

Attachments

• Damian's Starting Circuit.JPG
    Damian's Starting Circuit.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 56
mannysc said:
i can start mine from the connecter,

That doesn't mean the tranny end of the harness is hooked up to anything, as you can see above, it just loops around to the clutch switch. The harness is likely there because ford simply didn't want to have to make 2 different ones for different trannys and it needs the VSS wire from the tranny anyways. You're jumping power directly to the starter solonoid by shorting those two wires.

From the looks of the wiring diagram, if jumping power to white/pink didn't start the car, there's a break in the circuit btw there and the solonoid. It might work better to run a new wire from the solonoid to the clutch switch rather than try and find the break and just leave it like that. Manual transmissions don't have a neutral switch to worry about.

Da Beerz are on Me !!!!!!!!!!

Everyone here has put up with my ****! And for the $15 in dues I dont know why. I appreciate everyones help during my trials and tributlaions. But, I will have to say J.D. IS DA MAN! He allowed me to call him at home and he helped me a great deal.

Needless to say. It was the clutch switch. The switch itself wasnt bad because I just replaced it. We figured out it was the white plastic bracket on the tail of it. The tabs were broken off of it. The switch was off by about an 1/8th of an inch because of the tabs. Causing it to not funtion properly. I remounted the switch and screwed it down and BAMM! I got start. Thank you everyone for the input and patience.

Its amazing how a small problem can make you lose faith and not want to waste the time anymore. After conquering this, I ended up fixing a slew of other things that plague the heart of an SC owner. Thank you you JD and my SCCOA family.

DON"T YOU DARE BLAME THIS ON THE T-BIRD

Dahoopd said:
This car is making me sick. :( I still have this problem with no start. It starts with the old screwdriver but thats it. I have replaced the solenoid, starter, battery, ground and negative cable, the lock cyilinder, and the ignition switch. I am at my wits end and really ready to get rid of it or trade it.

Amazing,most of the times a Ford breaks down it's the owner, modifiers or mechanics fault.You said you did dash & colume work,know some thing dosn't
work.
Please, make shure YOU put the wires back in ,and you said nothing about ignition box on the stearing shaft.
When you realize what you did ,you'll be pissed!!

Huh?

It had nothing to do with the stearing box or wires. It was the clutch switch. The bonehead I bought it from had it wire tied up. After replacing it the switch in the same manner I found that wire ties are meant for wires. I bolted down the switch an it was no problem. I even remounted the old clutch switch and there was no problem. The wire tie had it off and the switch was not engaging completely. But, thanks for the info as always. I will not stop untill I have replaced everything on this car............or beat a dent in every panel. I Love my SC

Back