Cobra R hood

Had freezing rain all afternoon, then at about 6 it turned to sleet. It it now a snow/sleet mix. I am sure glad I do not have to go out in the morning. Will spend some time in the garage finishing wiring in some new gauges, if we still have power :) Good luck

I just came in from helping to dig the niehbor out. The freaking snow is 26" deep here now! Blizzard conditions since 6 PM central time with visibility at about 3' temp is 17 deg with 40 MPH winds, this is very bad. :(

BTW I'm in western Ky so I'm way further south than you Mike. This is some of that good ole moist Texas weather we normaly get with a big northern blast colliding together right here. Storm is heading East to North East, dont get out if you're in its path.

Last edited:
MIKE 38sc said:
How much snow you got Randy? What about you 392Bird?
I'm between you 2 guys and have 8" + ?" drifts. This sucks, I cannot even get to my shop now that I moved it away from home. :(

I can still see the grass out front.Just got a dusting.

Randy

I ran my car about 130 or so with the fiberglass hood and I will say one thing, never again. It didnt' come loose but it was flapping on both sides. I was scared to death it was going to catch a gust of wind and be gone. I couldn't slow down either because I was passing about 15 cars on a limited stretch of 2 lane road. :eek:

So even though the stock latch held fine, the fiberglass hood was not stiff enough to stay put and the corners were flapping up.

XR7 Dave said:
I ran my car about 130 or so with the fiberglass hood and I will say one thing, never again. It didnt' come loose but it was flapping on both sides. I was scared to death it was going to catch a gust of wind and be gone. I couldn't slow down either because I was passing about 15 cars on a limited stretch of 2 lane road. :eek:

So even though the stock latch held fine, the fiberglass hood was not stiff enough to stay put and the corners were flapping up.

Maybe you could use some of those pop up vents like NASCAR uses Dave. :p

XR7 Dave said:

On my hood the sides just above the headlightson the outside.There is a gap that I am going to need to fill in.This gap is about 3/4 inch to much.It would
catch air in this area and give the hood a lift.The gap is so wide I can see
the top of the headlight assembly.

I still need to sand some of the nose of the hood.But this is only 1/8 inch.
This will lower the hood making the headlight gap smaller.But it will still
be to wide.So I will need to build this area above the head lights up.

I don't see this mis=fittment a problem.It is a custom peice.But I do not
think I should need to add filler material.I should only need to cut or sand down the hood to fit.Because I need to add glass to fill in to get a proper hood shape .I would give this AGE CLASSIC DESIGN HOOD A THUMBS DOWN.Not everyone can do this build up job rignt.A person that has bought one of these hoods should only need to sand down the hood to fit.This gap That I have was cut into the hood at the factory.There was at one time enough material in this space.But some bonehead from Ageclassics seen fit to grind it to wide.The next hood may not be like mine.It could be just fine.

XR7 DAVE
If the corners of the hood lift.And since the hood is two layers.I think
that I may inject some foam into the corners,To stiffen this area up.

RANDY

Randy N Connie said:
On my hood the sides just above the headlightson the outside.There is a gap that I am going to need to fill in.This gap is about 3/4 inch to much....
Randy, could you get rid of that gap by loosening the fender bolts and pushing the front of the fender towards the center of the car just a little bit?? If so, you could just grind the middle of the hood where it most likely would bunch up against the fender..hope that makes sense..

The top of the hood lines up with the top of the fenders now.
I just need to move the fenders in a little to get the proper gap.

The front of the hood just touches the SC bumper cover.I need
to sand About 1/8 inch off the hoods nose.To fit a SC front bumper
cover.

But I am going to try and install two Cobra R front bumper
covers made into one bumper cover.Onto the front of my SC.I do
need the nose of the hood to be slightly longer for the Cobra R
bumper cover.

The hood install is not hard to do.I just wanted to start a thread
on how an install gos.And get other to post on how theres went.
So far the tools needed have been a sander,screw driver,1/4
drive rachet set,#30 torx socket.

Next I am going to start a post in the member section on fiber glass
door install with some pictures.And hope to get Mike and John Temple
to help.I have been taking pictures of the hood install I plan to post
in the members section soon.

So far some good pictures of a latch problem have been posted.And
will probaly save soneones hood someday.Like mine !!

THANKS Randy

Randy

Are you going with the Mustang Cobra R front end look?
My Cobra R 2000 front air dam is 2 1/2 inches off the ground

The tbird Cobra R hoods are nice

Last edited:
Jim yes I am tring to get the 2000 Cobra R look.
I am planning to make it a bolt on bumper cover.
If it dos not work out,I will just bolt my stock SC
front bumper cover back on.

You can go to my members page,and see a picture
of what I hope to end up with.As far as the cobra r
bumper.

Thanks Randy

That is neat

Looked at the picture.
That is neat looking Randy,hope you get it to that stage work nice to keep the air from going under the car less drag on it.it will turn out nice as all the work you do does one Bad Bird :)

I got my hood on and latch working.Still need to get the hinge area
to go a little lower.And should have it all lined up and fitment finished.
I am making some billit aluminum hinges.So I need to finish them
before I get the hinge area lined up.

Took the SC to the car wash, to wash the fiberglass dust off the
motor.Finished washing the motor.Lowered the hood real slow to
latch.Got home and one of the hood strut mounts was broke off.
And on the drivers side it is cracked & and going to brake off.

Looks like the stock hood struts are to strong for a fiber glass hood.
The struts were only hooked up and used two times and they broke.

So it looks like lighter struts should be bought and install.The design
of the AGE CLASSIC DESIGN hood.Is not heavy duty enough for the
use of the stock hood support struts on this cobra r hood.

I have never bought a fiberglass car hood before.So I don't have a
standard to go by.But this hood,I would give a rating of pisspour.
There are even more problems with this hood that I have not listed
yet.I don't see that this hood will hold up very long either.It looks
like it will be a constant pain in the a,to keep cracks out and looking
good.

I am now looking in the junk yard. For a prop to bolt to the SC frame.
to hold the hood up. :( :( :(

If you want to buy one of these cobra r hoods.You should lower your
expectations,on quality.And plan to do about 100 hours prep work to
get the hood looking right.

Thanks Randy

Last edited:
Randy N Connie said:
Looks like the stock hood struts are to strong for a fiber glass hood.
The struts were only hooked up and used two times and they broke.

So it looks like lighter struts should be bought and install.The design
of the AGE CLASSIC DESIGN hood.Is not heavy duty enough for the
use of the stock hood support struts on this cobra r hood.

Thanks Randy

Randy,
Sucks to hear about the strut issues, although I'm surprised that they didn't tell you different struts were needed. Heck, I think one of the manufacturers even offers to sell you new struts when you purchase the hood.

Hi Kurt
There was no instruction sheet.No info of any type.Just a bill of laiding.

They should include an instruction sheet & a small jar of Vaseline. :)

Randt

The trouble you're having with that hood sucks Randy and you'd think for that much money it would'nt be that troublesome. I was really wanting a FG hood myself but after hearing all the trouble most people have had with them I think I'll just go ahead with my plans to make mine out of metal using the stock hood. I know the metal hood will not be as light as the FG hood but its sounding like if you beef up the FG hood with more cloth and resin to be stronger that it just might not be any lighter than a steel hood.
Sorry you're having so much trouble. :(

I think that if you really want the weight benefit of a FG hood you should have them make it single wall and use a prop rod like I do. You could also get an aftermarket shock system that attaches to the edges of the hood instead of 10" in like the stockers. My fiberglass hood is a Cervini's that was made single wall and it is super light. I'd guess 20lbs vrs stock 55 lbs. But it is not finished all fancy underneath. It is just plain fiberglass and I painted it flat black so you don't really notice it at all.

The hood companies can make any hood single wall and it will probably be cheaper anyhow.

I have ran into the same problem with mine. I wish I had checked the travel on the hood struts. I think the mount for them on the hood is too far to the rear, causing the struts to be completely bottomed out and putting them in a bind.

I will need to add a small scoop to my hood to make room for the next phase of mine, so am going to just remove most of the under liner. Once the scoop is on, I will seal the edges where the lower liner stops, then jell coat the underside. I had a single layer, pin on before on a car, and want to stay with hinge mount.

I put a rod on mine, and used a large stainless washer at the place I put the hole in the hood. Drilled 2 small holes in the washer, and put a thin layer of epoxy on the bottom of it, then screwed it down.

hood6.jpg

None of these companys that make fiberglass hoods make a install and paint qualty hood.

Back