Does anyone watch American Hot Rod!?

Boyd Coddington's show on Discovery Channel is pretty interesting. I have been watching them build cars and the latest episode has really blown my mind. I can hardly believe this fat little punk named "Bluebear"! :eek:
Has anyone else been keeping up with this series about Bluebear's episode about the build-off? Can you seriously believe that this idiot, Bluebear, got fired because he would not "box" the frame! :eek: If I had been Boyd Coddington I would have had him physically thrown off the property. Friggin idiot! Did anyone else see this!? :confused:

I watch all those shows on TLC & Discovery, including Monster Garage, Mythbusters, Overhaulin' and the Coddington show. It's a good show, although I tend to think they add drama for drama's sake to a lot of it. Guess that's part of being on TV though. Bluebear had better go on to big things on his own, because he'll someday really regret his attitude with Coddington during that time frame if he doesn't.

P.S. I especially liked what I saw when they were painting that yellow 60's Mustang with the silver stripes...they used DuPont ChromaBase paint. :D

Hey, it's on my SC too, great minds think alike :p

resized%20dec%2001%20low%20pro%20side.jpg

I try to catch those shows when I can. I've seen the American Hot Rod episode you mentioned, Frank. I'm sorry, but if I was getting paid to build my own car, and all the parts were being paid for by someone else, I would do just about whatever that person wanted done on the car. If I didn't like it in the end, I could sell the car and start over (with a wad of cash in hand). I definitely agree with Boyd's view on the matter.

-Rod

dirtybird91 said:
Boyd Coddington's show on Discovery Channel is pretty interesting. I have been watching them build cars and the latest episode has really blown my mind. I can hardly believe this fat little punk named "Bluebear"! :eek:
Bluebear is the classic slacker. He must have pictures in a safe deposit box somewhere to have kept his job for as long as he has. ;) ;)
I like working with at least 1 bluebear on staff because as long as they keep him, that means they're desparate for workers which means my job's secure. Sort of a canary in a coal mine.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but if I was getting paid to build my own car, and all the parts were being paid for by someone else, I would do just about whatever that person wanted done on the car. If I didn't like it in the end, I could sell the car and start over (with a wad of cash in hand).

I'm sorry but I buy cars because I love that car for whatever reason ,and I would like the car in the way I invision it in my style . I personaly thank that it was file and rude to tell him that he'll get to do his dream car and then take it away buy turning it into a boydster.And as much as I would'nt mind owning a Boyd car, it's not a hot rod , it's an exotic, not a hot rod and it's not a rat rod. And he was doing it to prove a point .If you can throw your dreams away so easy and give-up , then you'd do it his way too....But yes he was a slacker.

I don't think Bluebear is the sharpest knife in the draw,to drop a deal
like he had.

And Boyd Coddington dos throw balloons like a little girl!!!!
I wonder how these SC tubo guys throw a balloon :D

Randy

Personally after watching that show I lost all respect for Boyd. He personally does VERY little work on any of the cars, When they do show him working he screws it up. (ever see the show where he cut the hole for the steering column, in the wrong place, the rest of the crew had to figure out how to patch the firewall.)

From what I have seen his whole crew is a bunch of boneheads, except for the paint guy. He is about the only one I would let work on a car of mine.

I was happy to see on another show (I think it was "Rides") that the paint guy has left Boyd's shop to go work with Foose. He was working with Chip on a couple of Cadillac's for SEMA this year.

I wonder if we all got together and made contact with one of these shows.
Maybe we could get Foose to finish FRANKS SC for him. :)
Or even better you all can send my name in.
MAN I HAVE BEEN OVERHAULED.

RANDY

Last edited:
I just saw that episode last night. Blue bear lost my dreamjob over something petty. It was obviously a safety issue if the frame was flexing when it was jacked up. The other 2 guys walked off the job and I don't blame them. That fat bastard woulda been killed or killed someone else when his frame snapped in half driving cross country. What a bonehead!

I keep hinting at my kids and wife. Hopefully someday I'll come home and my SC will be gone. Hopefully I'll get it back in 7 days. Otherwise I"ll have my family telling me "really dad, someone stole it" for the rest of my life.

Two lessons to learn from many of these "reality shows" about vehicles.

#1 - The guy signing your check is the boss, and if he says do it, ya better have a damn good reason why you decided not to do it. And saying "I didn't wanna" isn't a good reason.

#2 - The guys in charge of some of these shops are nut cases. I.e. One minute Boyd is clowning around with the guys, calling them names, talking tough in a playful manner. The next minute if any of the guys are doing the same towards him, he's pissed off and thinks they aren't showing respect. Paul Sr. regularlly will be screwing around with the guys one minute, the next minute bitching at them because there are a couple coffee cups laying around.

#3 - It's hard to be a boss, and be buddies at the same time. In the end you end up looking like a dick.

For those judging some of those guys, keep in mind that none of the guys shown on these shows running their shops was born with a silver spoon. These guys made it basically on their own by have a creative nack and skill that happened to capture something people with cash to burn liked.

The Overhauling show doesn't fully capture the skill that Chip Foose brings to a project. His creative skill is highlighted, but as he draws/visualizes a car, he also is working out the engineering details of how to make each thing work. He is an amazingly intelligent person for technical details and yet has a very strong creative streak. Two skills that typcially are mutually exclusive.

I wouldn't work for Boyd C. Yeah he has some bucks to build some nice rides, but he seems like an overstressed @$$ donut! Get that %@#chy Ex-wife out of your front office, and send her down the flippin' road and maybe you wouldn't be so stressed out dude!
I watched one of the "Build Off" episodes at my Grandma's. (She has Satelite) and I saw the other team sabotaging Bluebear's team a few times. Lets see...the old lazy guy had Boyd tell bluebear to cleanup (1/2 Day), then when he was out at lunch they welded his rides doors shut (few more hours) ...etc..etc..etc. Yeah he's a slacker, but so are quite a few others there.

Guy's I've personaly known Boyd since before he became "Mr Boyd Coddington." What you're seeing on TV is nothing more that TV drama.
Boyd cannot get rid of his ex old lady as part of the divource agreement.
She owns the rights to the name "Hot Rods by Boyd Coddington" and without apeasing her he cant use the name. After the divource Boyds rod shop and wheel buisness was shut down until he came around and agrred to the terms.
Thats why she's still there and thats why his new wife is OK with it. She's there bread and butter, without her Boyd and his new wife would starve and thats why there all there together and get along.....at least for the most part.

Andy 94SC said:
Personally after watching that show I lost all respect for Boyd. He personally does VERY little work on any of the cars, When they do show him working he screws it up. (ever see the show where he cut the hole for the steering column, in the wrong place, the rest of the crew had to figure out how to patch the firewall.)

From what I have seen his whole crew is a bunch of boneheads, except for the paint guy. He is about the only one I would let work on a car of mine.

I was happy to see on another show (I think it was "Rides") that the paint guy has left Boyd's shop to go work with Foose. He was working with Chip on a couple of Cadillac's for SEMA this year.

Just what I think too. That crew looks like a high school auto shop class, no way I'd have them build me a car (if I was actually in that position).
I saw that guy on Rides too, that was hilarious. The only guy with a brain in his head went over to Foose. I think Foose worked there before going out on his own, didn't he?

I agree, that idiot screwed up his car over boxing the frame. He had free parts and a job building hot rods for a living. Dumbass. Might just be drama for the tv though, he get "written back in" or whatever. I saw that episode, but that's the first time I've watched in months, just because I saw the program description. They just aren't likable people, so I don't watch regularly.

Also, how do you like Boyd's plant manager. That guy walks around with his chest stuck out like he's bad-@$$ or something. I would not last one day on a job like that, because the first time he pulled that macho **** on me I would cave his chest cavity in. :)

dirtybird91 said:
Also, how do you like Boyd's plant manager. That guy walks around with his chest stuck out like he's bad-@$$ or something. I would not last one day on a job like that, because the first time he pulled that macho **** on me I would cave his chest cavity in. :)

Frank shut up! You WILL play your part and you WILL play it as scripted!...............Lights..camera...ACTION...... :p :D :D :D

MIKE 38sc said:
Frank shut up! You WILL play your part and you WILL play it as scripted!...................Lights..camera...ACTION...... :p :D :D :D

LOL! MIKE! :D
I could tell that Bluebear seriously wanted a piece of Boyd at the end. :D Script or no script, that guy was really hot! :D

I'de like to see an episode where Duane thumps you in the chest and tells you to stop goof'in off and get back to work. LOL!!!! :p You'll either take it like a girlyman or you end up like Bluebear. ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! :p :D :D :D

I believe they already had a guy that didn't want to take Duane's mouth, nor Blubears and "Tig" as he was called didn't last long.

For certain, there is a lot of "TV" going on in these shops. Probably the closest to reality of them I've seen thus far has been "Wing Nuts" and maybe "Southern Choppers" just because both shops are small enough that not much is going on that you don't see. The guys involved in these for t.v. shows are sideshow efforts of what their shops really do. Notice how Boyd's shop has about 6 bays in that one building to work on cars. Yet the show typically only shows the one the goof balls are working on. Same thing for American Chopper. The real work done in those shops (what's keeping these businesses alive) is where you can't see.

I certainly enjoy the shows more when they focus more on the vehicles they are working on than their lives. The metal work that many of those guys are doing is very interesting. The interior work that gets done is also impressive. Every once and a while you learn something about chassis/suspension design and engines. Of course they seem to have every tool you could ever need. What, everyone doesn't have a Plasma cutter in their garage?

Notice how Monster House now puts more emphasis on finding crews that don't get along ? American Chopper even has a chest thumping "project manager" on the show to "stay on top of what Paulie Jr. is doing"?
Let me get this straight...the main brain/fabricator/owner's son needs someone to boss him around.( Aside from the bombastic Sr) ?
Still, i watch... (sigh)
I blame Jerry Springer :mad:

Back