Overheats no more --- SC Coooooool

FredSC

THANK YOU Mike38SC!!!
After Thanksgiving, I installed one of Mike's aluminum radiator's in my 95 auto. It locally has never seen the "O" since but I wanted to wait until I could "test" it drifting thru the mountains of central Pennsylvania and hills of western PA before posting. WOW what a difference. No matter what I did, I could not get the temp guage above the "N". The difference is simpy incredible!!!

Before, just getting on it a little or sitting in DC traffic would cause it to run at mid gauge or a little to the right. In the PA mountains, I would have to back off and start "managing" my temperature. Now, even running hard and then sitting in toll booth traffic did nothing.

I had to convince myself that the "next" thing should be a radiator above exhaust, intake, raised top....... (it was a very hard sell) but I did it. Once it arrived, it was a little easier. Mike's craftmanship is just OUTSTANDING. EVERY weld, EVERY bracket is just right! This helped alot with my decision of choosing Mike's radiator over a Griffith but stilll. "performance and radiator??". The install was simpler than some oil changes I done on my SC. Everything just fit right.

After limited local "testing", I was waiting for this x-mas trip to Pittsburgh to "torture test" it. Even in the "hills" of western PA (up/down no flat), it never moved off the "N" where before it LIVED at mid guage.

The performance improvement I've realized is being able to run hard by the hour instead of for a few minutes here and there. I have even started to not look at the guage (its tough habit to break).

Thank you Mike for your craftmanship and radiator. It is right up there with BHJ when it comes to SC investment! As my grandfather was fond of saying, "that should last me my lifetime".

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to those of the SC and SCCOA
Thank you for an incredible source of trustworthy information about our shared "hobby".
Fred

Ok, sounds great. So how much is their alum. radiator and where does this MIKE hang out?

Mike38SC is his member id. You can search or visit his member page for PM.
For an automatic, mine was 540. 510+30 for shipping.
It will double your capacity and is completely welded/baked (Griffin is epoxied).
You will need a FULL SIZE 16 pound cap.

There was a thread about the rad under the group purchase but I don't know it that got off the ground.

Good luck, (you'll be glad you did it)
Fred

It was supposed to, BIG TIME, but ended up with nothing. Roads were clear.
Had some nice 100+ runs up the mountains (and sometimes down). :). With my "new" cool SC it was an early me-to-me christmas present. When they run, SCs ROCK!!
--- Msg from SC --
I stand corrected, me-to-SC christmas present (doesn't like to share gofast parts).

Last edited:
FredSC said:
THANK YOU Mike38SC!!!
After Thanksgiving, I installed one of Mike's aluminum radiator's in my 95 auto. It locally has never seen the "O" since but I wanted to wait until I could "test" it drifting thru the mountains of central Pennsylvania and hills of western PA before posting. WOW what a difference. No matter what I did, I could not get the temp guage above the "N". The difference is simpy incredible!!!

Before, just getting on it a little or sitting in DC traffic would cause it to run at mid gauge or a little to the right. In the PA mountains, I would have to back off and start "managing" my temperature. Now, even running hard and then sitting in toll booth traffic did nothing.

I had to convince myself that the "next" thing should be a radiator above exhaust, intake, raised top....... (it was a very hard sell) but I did it. Once it arrived, it was a little easier. Mike's craftmanship is just OUTSTANDING. EVERY weld, EVERY bracket is just right! This helped alot with my decision of choosing Mike's radiator over a Griffith but stilll. "performance and radiator??". The install was simpler than some oil changes I done on my SC. Everything just fit right.

After limited local "testing", I was waiting for this x-mas trip to Pittsburgh to "torture test" it. Even in the "hills" of western PA (up/down no flat), it never moved off the "N" where before it LIVED at mid guage.

The performance improvement I've realized is being able to run hard by the hour instead of for a few minutes here and there. I have even started to not look at the guage (its tough habit to break).

Thank you Mike for your craftmanship and radiator. It is right up there with BHJ when it comes to SC investment! As my grandfather was fond of saying, "that should last me my lifetime".

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to those of the SC and SCCOA
Thank you for an incredible source of trustworthy information about our shared "hobby".
Fred

Hey Fred, glad you like it and all is working well. You're the 4th person that does alot of mountain driving that cant believe the difference a properly sized radiator makes on the SC. Posts like yours remind me of why I started the radiator project back in Sept. of 03, I'm glad I was able to help you and your SC's engine and THANK YOU for taking the chance to find out what its been all about. I've worked very hard to make the install as simple and straightforward as possable because I did'nt want guy's to have to drill holes or hackup the rad support in the car in order to install one. The one disheartening thing about the whole project for me is the end price of the rads. I wanted them to be lower in price but because of the core having to be custom made because of its size that pretty much kept the price up higher than I like. The only thing I could then do was to pack as much value into the rad as I could for the money, such as all new fan mounting hardware so the buyer did'nt have to transfer there old hardware from there old rad to the new one. I went with FULL sized BILLET fillernecks instead of those puny little fillernecks like the stock rad and all the other aftermarket rads and as you mentioned earlier there is NO EPOXY in this rad at all, the core is 100% furnace brazed. I could have been cheesy about it and had the cores built with smaller and different tubes and lowered the cooling fin count to lower the cost, but since I'm an SC owner and club member I just could not bring myself to merely copy a stock SC rad in Aluminum(like the others) because that design is FLAWED. I've come close several times to throwing in the towel on these rads because I'de hoped to start selling enough at one time to be able to order cores in lots of 5-10 so that the core price would be lowered and I could pass that savings onto the customer. But selling only 1 or 2 at a time has'nt allowed me to do that because I cant get a price break until I order 5 or more at a time. Oh well, maybe someone will get up a GB on them so I can pass that savings on.
Fred thanks for all your comments and I'm glad you are happy with the rad and its performance, if I can ever be of help to you dont hesitate to get in touch with me. BTW I just got finnished reading an Email to me from Ryan Harris because his new rad just arrived to him and he sounds equelly happy as well. Ryan lives in Canada and his rad got to him faster than anyone else's in Canada did. Thanks for the shipping tip Ryan, I'll use that method from now on for you Canadian SC'ers. :) :) :) :)

Joisey Jim said:
Ok, sounds great. So how much is their alum. radiator and where does this MIKE hang out?

Jim I've been hanging around here for 4 years or so now. My ad is now in the "Group Buys and Special Purchases" section of the classifieds here on this board. I had to put it there so that it did'nt get deleted after a period of time. Moving to that section has kind of been like setting on the back of the bus because not many people see the ad there. I'm not convinced that people looking for a rad would think that there listed there, without a doubt since my ad was moved 99% of my sales and inqiuries have come from word of mouth rather than seeing my ad. :)

MikeKanterakis - It absolutely IS!!! That immediate response when hitting the gas. MPH / Boost / Tach all moving together. Having the Firm light coming on (when necessary). I've seen many a BMW or Porsche disappear in the rearview mirror after a few 60-80 degreee turns.
SCommmmmmmmmmm SCommmmmmmmmmmmm

Mike38SC - PLEASE keep the faith! For each rad you make, you automatically have another satisfied customer. I'm old school (50something) and appreciate "American craftsmanship". When I can couple that with greatly increased performance / problem elimination, It's a no-brainer... besides my SC needed it:)

CalifanSC - Rockville. Are you in the area?

What about a advertisement on the top right like most sc vendors have? After reading this post, I'm gonna have to set aside some funds for this.

Tony you must make enough money on the product to be able to buy the ad bar. Believe it or not I really do not make any money on these rads because of the core costs and the extinsive labor involved in building one. The whole rad project was never intended to make money but instead to offer guy's the best performing rad that could be built at pretty much the cost of building it.
I had hoped it would be a stepping stone so to speak for all the other custom built SC performance parts I've built, but the comunity has'nt been that supportive so things are the way they are now and looks like they'll stay that way until I give up completely and move on.
Being completely honest here the only thing that has kept this going are the Emails from customers and the few posts like Freds.

When I have that money... where do I send the money to buy one? Will this work with a Front Mount InterCooler or is the Griffin's better for that set up?

-Kornhaus

from what im seeing his radiator is better and is cheaper then the griffin dude youve past on the savigns already. i cant wait to get one being 19 its 2 weeks paycheck but ill make what can happen

Yeppers I'm in for one too...Word of mouth..thats the best advertising.. ;) ...Be checking in when I get my next one...

Well I just dropped in today to look around and see this thread again.
Thanks to all of my satisfied customers for the kind words, I really do appreciate them. :)
Many of you may have noticed that I have been MIA on the boards here for a month and a half or so. I will not bore everyone with the details but I seperated from the wife back then and am now in a divorce. :eek: :eek:
Things have been kinda tough lately but my head is now out of my rectum and my backlog has dropped emensely, so I have started compileing a new build list.
Things should not take as long as they have in the past as all I do now is work and occasionaly visit with my Lawyer and attend the occasional hearing.
I'm simply amazed at how much time of my life was previously devioured and at how fast things now move that my head is clear. :eek: :eek:
My new Email addy is:
mike38sc@bellsouth.net
Again Thanks to everyone that has helped to support the radiator project. :) :)

sorry to hear it man. glad you got your head right tho. ill be hitting you up for that radiator once i get the damn car running right hahah

Back