Thread: Changed my plugs...You won't believe...

Changed my plugs...You won't believe...

Well, changed my plugs in the '92 a couple days ago. I'm not sure how it ran. Apart from the obvious age and wear of the plugs, I gapped one, just to see. Well, the gap amazed me. It was an astounding .073! No wonder my SC was slowing down over the course of the summer, even with mods. Last spring it ran a 15.007, then with more mods it later ran a best 15.3 then this last fall it ran a best of 15.5. But mods were installed between the first and second time I went to the track. Now I've got full exhaust, roller rockers, new plugs, and 5% pulley over what my mods were then. The new plugs I'm sure will help greatly. I'm just amazed that my SC ran at all with those worn and massively gapped plugs. (And yes, I'm sure they were the original plugs from the factory)

Word to the wise for you guys with just a hint of idle trouble. Check the small stuff first...Plugs, wires, vacuum leaks, etc before you go further. Many times that's what it is. Just something small.

And remember when putting your engine back together - to double check some of the little things Good luck with that today Sam.. wish I could be there when you take the first test drive.

-Andy "Melon"

Bigger gap, bigger spark! RAWR

Quote Originally Posted by al35thsc
    Bigger gap, bigger spark! RAWR

hey al you mean ROAR

Quote Originally Posted by LostDreamer
    hey al you mean ROAR
    You say tomato....I say rawr.

Doesnt suprise me one bit..EVerytime I pull plugs from an SC they are like that or worse!
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Melon
    And remember when putting your engine back together - to double check some of the little things Good luck with that today Sam.. wish I could be there when you take the first test drive.

-Andy "Melon"
    The "little things"...Well, we never did figure out what the knocking was. We got the valve covers back off and I took off all the rocker arms...put them back on (the same way I did 2 days ago) and when I started her up, she just purred. Non of the push rods were off or anything...Not sure what it was, but she's running. Best I can figure is that she was mad at me yesterday for calling her all those names...LOL!

Everything is good now except for an exhaust leak. I'm going to try to fix that tomorrow if the weather cooperates. I'm not sure that it will though. I'll probably end up having to take it over to a heated garage to get that done. But does she scream now...

The really wierd thing is that I only lost about 1 lb of boost. Go figure...Fuel true dual 2-1/2" exhaust over stock and I'm still over 14 lbs of boost. I was pegging it with the stock exhaust...I'm figuring about a 3 lb loss in boost pressure from the exhaust.

And Damon, I've never seen plugs that bad...Not even the ones that I swapped out of my '89. I don't think they were the original plugs though...These definately were. Now I've got some iridiums in there...so they should last a little while.