View Poll Results: Would you use a 5speed or auto for drag use only?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Use auto SC

111 64.53%
  • Use 5 speed SC

61 35.47%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5spd or auto for track?

Quote Originally Posted by sinhumane View Post
    my 5 speed is faster than the auto i have, but the auto is much more consistent. i'm sure the install of the WOT BOX and no lift shift feature will make it a bigger difference.
    I was thinking the same thing....

auto
    is what i run

Mine is a 5 speed, any car I have is and always has been a standard for the street. But, for drag race only it has to be a solid race built automatic.

Auto definatly. Better to change to a C-4 with a higher stall converter ,shift kit,extra clutches and a trans brake if you can afford it.The C4 is much more reliable than the AOD and far less fragile. It also is cheaper to mod and you dont really need the overdrive.My C4 just barely saw 3rd gear with 4:56 gears on the quarter.

Lentech AOD will handle 1000+ HP and allow you to cruise down the highway in OD.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

Manual transmissions are the fastest transmissions in racing. Like the autos, you have to set everything up properly for the fastest time and not many people know how to set either drivetrain up properly.
    1994 SC
    4.5L Twin Turbo SVO
    Project GTFD

There are reasons you see C4's or glides in race cars.

Little off But...

Hi

Alittle off But I run an AUTO on the 1/2 mile oval. Mostly due to race rules.
    Ran: FMX, C-4- Current AOD, Swapping in a 4R70W for next season.

I would run an 3 Speed if I had a choice.

Track Time

5 Speed.........nothing less
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5 speed if its a pre 94 but if it has the 4r70 trans, ille take that over the 5 speed anyday..
    i love manual but it gets tiresome and with these cars we all know how they handle in weather,so yaaaaa..aod though,yuk...

I have lost to very few 5 spd cars. most people cant drive for ~~~~. second a built aod will toast a 5spd car. for example my buddy had a built aod and motor. 4400 pound car with me and him in his sc. with all the crap he carries. raced my buddys blown convertible fox body 5spd with 4 10s and nto5 drag radials. we where fender to fender the whole time. plus if you want nitrous go auto

the only thing manual has is to be able to build boost off the line and ride the rpm's abit for a better launch but so then can a trans brake. I don't care who you are or what you say, you cant out shift an auto unless its some old sloshy pissed out trans.plus id rather replace an auto trans like an aod or 4r70(which ive done in under 2 days alone wih minimal tools) instead of replacing and setting up a clutch.

Depends what you are doing. I've drag raced a 5spd for years and always beat similarly powered auto's for the first 60 ft. Granted, we are talking about M5R2's vs. AOD/4R70W's, not trans braked racing autos vs. a production Mazda transmission. In the case of the SC specific transmission, the auto generally seems to make ground on the 1-2 shift and shortly thereafter, taking advantage of torque multiplication. After that, it makes no real difference auto or 5spd. This opinion is from many door to door races with similarly equipped SC's, your results will vary of course.

On a road course where braking and power application under conditions of changing traction, etc., an automatic is completely out of place as any and all road racers will testify. Shifting using a clutch and lever is a pleasure often missed by our more domesticated friends but we don't hold that against them. Fine wines aren't for everyone.

And then as for the "auto will always be faster in the 1/4" statement" - eh, not so much. Give me a properly set up chassis and a true racing transmission and I'll gladly take that challenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

wow that's and old post.

I prefer a manual but you just can't beat the consistency of an automatic in the 1/4 mile.
    John Ludorf
    Member #2881

Quote Originally Posted by jludorf View Post
    I prefer a manual but you just can't beat the consistency of an automatic in the 1/4 mile.
    I too prefer a manual but you can't beat the consistency of braking stuff pretty regularly!