5spd or auto for track?

Would you use a 5speed or auto for drag use only?

• Use auto SC

Votes: 108 64.7%
  • Use 5 speed SC

Votes: 59 35.3%

• Total voters
Manual transmissions are the fastest transmissions in racing. Like the autos, you have to set everything up properly for the fastest time and not many people know how to set either drivetrain up properly.

Little off But...

Hi

Alittle off But I run an AUTO on the 1/2 mile oval. Mostly due to race rules.
Ran: FMX, C-4- Current AOD, Swapping in a 4R70W for next season.

I would run an 3 Speed if I had a choice.

:cool:

5 speed if its a pre 94 but if it has the 4r70 trans, ille take that over the 5 speed anyday..
i love manual but it gets tiresome and with these cars we all know how they handle in weather,so yaaaaa..aod though,yuk...

I have lost to very few 5 spd cars. most people cant drive for ~~~~. second a built aod will toast a 5spd car. for example my buddy had a built aod and motor. 4400 pound car with me and him in his sc. with all the crap he carries. raced my buddys blown convertible fox body 5spd with 4 10s and nto5 drag radials. we where fender to fender the whole time. plus if you want nitrous go auto

the only thing manual has is to be able to build boost off the line and ride the rpm's abit for a better launch but so then can a trans brake. I don't care who you are or what you say, you cant out shift an auto unless its some old sloshy pissed out trans.plus id rather replace an auto trans like an aod or 4r70(which ive done in under 2 days alone wih minimal tools) instead of replacing and setting up a clutch.

Depends what you are doing. I've drag raced a 5spd for years and always beat similarly powered auto's for the first 60 ft. Granted, we are talking about M5R2's vs. AOD/4R70W's, not trans braked racing autos vs. a production Mazda transmission. In the case of the SC specific transmission, the auto generally seems to make ground on the 1-2 shift and shortly thereafter, taking advantage of torque multiplication. After that, it makes no real difference auto or 5spd. This opinion is from many door to door races with similarly equipped SC's, your results will vary of course.

On a road course where braking and power application under conditions of changing traction, etc., an automatic is completely out of place as any and all road racers will testify. Shifting using a clutch and lever is a pleasure often missed by our more domesticated friends but we don't hold that against them. ;) Fine wines aren't for everyone.

And then as for the "auto will always be faster in the 1/4" statement" - eh, not so much. Give me a properly set up chassis and a true racing transmission and I'll gladly take that challenge. :D

wow that's and old post.

I prefer a manual but you just can't beat the consistency of an automatic in the 1/4 mile.

Back