Design Flaws - What's your opinion?

quick35th said:
Mike I dont want to here about the engineering and design fields going away as I am currently going to school to become a mechanical engineer so I can engineer cars for none other than Ford. I would like to work in the Advanced Engines and Powertrain Reaserch department. This is not good at all for me.

Shane

Shane I feel for all you young people today, but I honestly do not know of 1 single profession today that is safe. I can also understand why so many young people today have no hope for there future and are lashing out in various destructive ways, I do'nt condone there destructive behaviour but I do understand it. Do not give up on your dream! But instead think about modifying your expectations of what that career might actualy be like and what will be expected of you in order to have that career. Andy is correct because you just might have to live in China in order to have that career. you may just end up being in a group of engineers that continiously travel the globe to the various plants owned by a corp. After all Tom Scarpello the now ex head of Fords SVT department was just sent to England to work at Jaguar and he really did'nt know that was coming.
Dr's and Lawyers in this country are not even safe. They do not realize it yet but the NAFTA agreement has provisions in it which allow any Dr or Lawyer from another country to use Mexico as a door to walk into the US and set up shop. The real kicker to that provision is that it allows them to do so without passing any AMA medical exams and licenceing and the lawyers do not have to pass the Barr exames nor get a licence to practice in the US. Scarey times are a com'in, just do your best to be as prepaired as you can.
Chevy has begun engineering one line of engines that will be imported to the US this year for installation in one of there SUV's that they sell here in the US. Hmmm boy...dont you know thats gonna be a winner of an engine!
Those Korean engineers I spoke of earlier. I somewhat befriended them so that I could learn more about them and what they were doing and to hopefully help things out on the job, so I was invited to there motel by the head engineer(who was the only one that could speak any english) to just set around and get to know each other alittle better. I arrived at there motel and was shocked to learn that all 8 of them were living in 1 room with 2 double beds and cooking all there meals on hotplates and a microwave. They were all friendly guys and pleasant to be around and all took turns talking to me through the head engineer who was acting as our interputer. Each one told me about how happy they were to get to come to the US and work because they were making more money here than they ever had in there lives back home. The highest paid one there was the head guy and he was making $8.50 per hour, but they were just exstatic that the co. was paying there rent at the motel and buying there grocery's for them as well as doing there laundry at the plant with the plants work uniforms. They just could not believe that a co. would do that for them as well as pay them such high wages. They told me that the engineering firm they worked for back home was sending there pay to there families and they never actualy saw there paychecks.
Driving home that evening I almost broke down crying thinking to myself "My God, Whats this country coming to?" I still do not have the full answer to that qeustion. :( :( :(

If we suck so bad...

Q: Why does everyone still strive to come here?

A: THE AMERICAN DREAM ! ! !

And don't tell me it's dead. I don't have time to rant right now, I'm at work helping some other units deploy to some other country to help promulgate the American Dream.

Life,Liberty, and the PERSUIT of Happiness.

We are eventually killing that dream...

Anyway....My engineering job will always be here to stay..why?.....Because I do at site investigations and fix other peoples mistakes!!!...THATS WHERE THE FUTURE IS!!!

Unfortunately you can desighn anything over seas.....However once here.....Who is going to find out what the defects are when they show up:O)

I workin construction but it can be said for any feild

This thread took an interesting turn!

Lot's of truth and insight presented here ... Here is some from MrBlvd...

Our country is extremely shortsighted and most if not all public businesses both here and abroad are driven by the quarterly & annual financial statements...gotta get that ROI...get that stock price up or we will lose investors..."everyone" talks the long term life cycle costing BS but when it comes right down to it, its the upfront purchase $ that really matters...

corporations all talk about "safety"... "safety first" ... what this really means is that medical expenses & liability suits assoicated with accidents now cost the corporations more than than they saved/made when they allowed the "unsafe" business practices to continue...do you think the "suits" cared about Joe Bob as an individual or Joe Bob as a unit of production?

Now, lets take a couple of steps down the "ladder of economic entities" from the corporation to the suits to Mr./Ms. middle America who are saving for their retirement / child's college fund / their next big vacation / .. etc.....they most likely have a lot of their nest egg in financial instruments such as stock, bonds, mutual funds, etc... what do they want these instruments to do? MAKE MONEY...how...by the coporations cutting costs and increasing profits...And just how do the corporations go about this...this is answered in many of the post that precede mine....

OK now we have one more step to descend here and please, I'm not trying to insult or upset anyone ... Mr. & Ms. Blue Collar America who shake their fists daily at the belly of corporate Beast...Funny thing is, not too many of them complain about the price of TVs at Wal-Mart now do they?

"Everyone's" hands are dirty!

The issue of the global economy is either extremely complex or absurdly simple...I haven't quite figured it out yet...I do know one thing though (my opinion)..anyone who thinks our government is working in the best interest of the "common man" as opposed to working in the best interest of the "corporate beast" is a fool :eek:

Its all about power, money, and control of the population...I highly suggest reading 1984 and Brave New World

corporations all talk about "safety"... "safety first" ... what this really means is that medical expenses & liability suits assoicated with accidents now cost the corporations more than than they saved/made when they allowed the "unsafe" business practices to continue

Well Being a project manager for many years I can tell you what this is all about...

Its a pyramid..

#1 Priority is production
#2 Priority is quality
#3 Priority is safety

However without 2 or 3.....You never achieve #1

Sometimes upper management doesnt realize that...And sometimes the workers dont realize that..I can go about this..

Try telling a worker whats safe..And how to do thier job properly.....Then when they get hurt....

yeah

Safety is a big word around the Military. Absolutely nothing gets done without looking at it three different ways from four different people. Sometimes our training gets cut short or even canceled because of so many safty constraints...what that equals out to in the business world is slower production. The boss don't like slower production. So he overlooks "two person lift" requirements and "crew day", so you not only have physical fatigue you also have mental fatigue from being worked too long. Then you get mishaps. Mishaps cost money, no matter where you are. So weather they like it or not safety is a big money saver in the long run.

XR7 Dave said:
One other thing. I don't think that the military should use parts made outside country. Especially if the parts can be made here! (what parts can't be made here????) I mean, we pay for the stuff regardless, so why not at least put the money back into the country?????? So not only does war cost us our kids, it costs us our jobs too?? :mad:

The Military is more cost conscious than the Auto Industry

Not to drag this thread on any longer, but I think I will be changing my major at college. It will drastically change my life as I know it from what I had plannned on before but I think it will be worth it in the long run. I am going to be getting out of the engineering field and I am going to get into Law Inforcement particulary a possition at the FBI or the CIA would be nice. I dont want to be a regular cop. I want to do something else, something different. I want to work in the field and not be a paper pusher sitting behind a desk all day. I talked with one of the Columbus State Community College counselors where I currently attend school about the change and they told me I needed to go to OSU which is where I had planned on transfering to and talk with their counselors. So that is my plan during spring break.

Shane

Law enforcement is a sure fire way to get a steady paycheck. But just like teachers and us Military types...the pay ain't what it should be. If you don't want to push papers, and you'd like to get out and make changes in the world, I'd suggest ATF, US Marshals, or the FBI. Any of the other three letter agencies are more analytical work and less shoot'n and scoot'n.

leeklimala said:
Law enforcement is a sure fire way to get a steady paycheck. But just like teachers and us Military types...the pay ain't what it should be. If you don't want to push papers, and you'd like to get out and make changes in the world, I'd suggest ATF, US Marshals, or the FBI. Any of the other three letter agencies are more analytical work and less shoot'n and scoot'n.

Lee, thanks for replying. I wasn't sure what agency to look into but now I know. I think my pick would be US Marshals, then FBI then ATF. BTW, does ATF stand for American Task Force?

Shane

So what do you guys think of US computer jobs in the future

Particularly desktop troubleshooting and maintenance. don't mean to hijack, but this thread has awakened and alarmed me.

there will always be computers, and they will always crash. So there will always need to be a techie around. Best bet is if you know servers and networking. Desktop terminals are slowly making their way out and are getting to the cookie cutter phase where if something goes wrong...unplug, replace, plug in...the box goes to the techie downstairs too be made into the next replacement. well that's my $.024

i suspect that salaries for desktop techs will drop dramatically as this "disposable desktop" or thin client type scenario forges ahead. Networking sounds like the way to go for securing a good future although some have probably already outsource this field. i guess this would depend where the servers are and how critical they are to the business- i mean, if the network goes down or a data/file server abends, who's going to be there to fix the hardware-

How about the seemed to be forgotten WEIGHT of our behemoth Big Bird!!! Lord knows we could all use to put our cars on a diet.

I see the weight as a good and bad thing. For drag racing it sucks, but for ride quality, handling, and overall sense of security it's wonderful. As mentioned before on this thread, the weight is an issue but Ford DID to a good job of distributing it. The car is very well balanced in the turns.

Back