Did you guys change your tranny fluids after the Hurricane?

89SCK@t

The reason I am asking, cause my father forgot to in his 88TC. Since I work at Jiffy Lube, I did it for free...Man it was horrible. I was wondering why the T-5 was shifting like the M5R2. The fluid came out a sludgey white and took 20 mins to completly drain. I did a flush, fill, drain, flush, fill, drain, fill, and it shifts a HELL of a lot better now. I don't want to even think what the diff looks like. *Shudders*

Which leads me to my next question. Do I use Mercon, Dex-III, or GL-5 in the diff? I am asking cause that is all we have at Jiffy Lube.

Oh, my father does take care of his cars, it was that just after the Hurricane, he had to follow my Mother to Japan. She got a job offer there. So he signed the car to me. It is partially my fault for not taking care of it sooner, but...70+ hours a week....I don't really have time to take care of things...*sigh*

Anyway, thanks for reading this, hopefully someone answers soon....

Stephen

I changed the sc tranny fluid, pan gasket and filter right before wife wrecked it. God only knows when it was changed before but it shifts like a dream now. Would have loved to put a shift kit in it while I was there. :) My lightning I had a valvebody put in September and it was at 28k then so I had it flushed. Lightning have to be flushed every 30k. Valvebody is a great mod for Lightning. Shifts hard now. I can chirp 1-2 and 2-3 if I stay in it. But I have to be careful because sometimes she will want to go sideways on me. She's a beast.

The original spec for the diff. would be the GL-5 fluid, 80W90 mineral oil. That will work fine, or you can use the newer recommendation from Ford, synthetic 75W140.

cheers,
Ed N.

Back