EGR delete question

Ryan A Harris

I'm hoping that someone can tell the thread size of the EGR bung on the manifold. I'm going to be removing mine EGR soon, and would like to have a "plug" ready to plug that hole up. I don't have any manifolds kicking around with the EGR bung.

Thanks ain advance.

You might want reconsider

not sure of the thread size and not sure you want to do this. i tried it on my 94 by leaving the egr in place and put a blank off plate between it and the manifold. i had a constant check engine lite. the egr vacuum amplifier has to sense a certain amount of exhaust flow or you get a constant cel. an easy way to get rid of egr valve function is to remove and plug the egr vacuum line but you will get a constant cel.

Ed Springer

With doing some searches, I have come up with: by removing the EGR valve, that would by the inlet and manifold connections, and keeping the wiring and hooking up the vac lines to other vac lines, the CEL should not come on. Also, if the CEL does come on, a chip can take care of that problem.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Ryan A Harris said:
With doing some searches, I have come up with: by removing the EGR valve, that would by the inlet and manifold connections, and keeping the wiring and hooking up the vac lines to other vac lines, the CEL should not come on. Also, if the CEL does come on, a chip can take care of that problem.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

I just installed a MP ported plenum on mt SC. My car came with the EGR valve. I cut the pipe on the manifold, and welded the bung hole shut. Now for the DPFE sensor, I left the wire harness plugged in and left the vac line off. I have been running around for 2 1/2 weeks now, driving hard or easy and no CEL!

Yes, thats it, thanks for the info. I want to keep my options open, at least at this piont. I'm thinking of keeping the EGR hardware, as possibly I may need it later, for who knows what reason.

DPFE sensor, whats that? Is that the valve, bolts near the rear on inlet plenum?

Ryan A Harris said:
Yes, thats it, thanks for the info. I want to keep my options open, at least at this piont. I'm thinking of keeping the EGR hardware, as possibly I may need it later, for who knows what reason.

DPFE sensor, whats that? Is that the valve, bolts near the rear on inlet plenum?

yes, the vac line goes from egr to dpfe sensor and the 3 prong sensor on the back of motor.

I'm in need of a EGR tube from manifld to valve, either that or a sure fire way to get rid of the check engine light I have. From what I've read, the '94-'95s will always have the check engine light without the EGR hooked up. Had to cut my tubes to get the manifold off when i did my head gaskets. Couldn't get the tube loose with wrench. Car runs the same as it did before(which is still ****** IMO) but just has a constant check engine light now.

HSKR, I hope thats not the case. But once I do finish this off, I'll post my progress. I have tried as you did to remove the tube with the manifold on the car, thats sucks with a BIG wrench, and a small placve to work in! Dave Dalke has told me that with a chip, or an EEC tuner you can have youre CEL turned off.

Has anyone who has deleted their EGR had any troubles with emission testing?

Ryan A Harris said:
I'm hoping that someone can tell the thread size of the EGR bung on the manifold. I'm going to be removing mine EGR soon, and would like to have a "plug" ready to plug that hole up. I don't have any manifolds kicking around with the EGR bung.

Thanks ain advance.
It's 18mm, same as the larger Ford sparkplug thread.

I drive a '94 5spd daily that I disconnected the EGR on. As far as the hoses to the DPFE sensor, there are TWO instead of one like the early models. I took one completely off the DPFE and then just routed the other back to the now empty connection just to keep crap out of the sensor.
As far as what happens I don't know, the CEL is intermittent on mine. Probably just gonna put a semi-transparent sticker over it that sez sumthin' cute...any suggestions for a logo or word?

'bird

Ryan,
I looked at one from an 90 it's a 7/8"16 nut would fit over it. Now the only thing is it might be metric.

Thanks guys, I have a buddy who's got an extra manifold with the EGR bung, I'll pick that up and check it out. I'll post what I get.

DONE & DONE.......

The EGR has been removed. It been out since friday, and the CEL light has yet to come on.

What I did was:

1.As Wynn has pionted out, the 94-95's have 2 exhust lines running off the EGR tube to the DPFE sensor(located at the rear of the inlet plenum, bolted to the outside of it.) So they are now both not hooked up to anything at the old EGR end. The DPFE sensor has NOT been removed, but doesn't do anything now.

2.The VAC line at the top of the EGR senosr has been capped off.

3.I went to an exhust shop(becuase I couldn't get the other manifold in time) for the EGR bung. They matched it up to a plug. As for size, its a common EGR bung for FORDS. Other than that, I can't tell ya.(didn't have anything with me to measure it up.

4.Used the EGR blocker plate off a stock inlet plenum to keep that sealed shut.

So, at this time things are fine and well. Gone threw about 1 tank of gas, as I said no CEL light. I also punched out the cats at the same time.

Hope that helps with EGR removale for 94-95's.

I see a listing under a newer F-150 for an M27 x 2.0 male threaded plug. This for a NGV (natural gas) 5.4 which doesn't use an EGR, but takes the same exhaust manifold as a regular 5.4.

I'll see if I can get the EGR tube fitting out of the spare manifold I have here, and check the size. It would be nice to have the proper plug for the manifold, rather than having to run around trying to find one. If anyone wants to try it, the Ford # is F7TZ 9G458 AA, about $15 wholesale up here.

cheers
Ed N.

tbird88 said:
It's 18mm, same as the larger Ford sparkplug thread.

I drive a '94 5spd daily that I disconnected the EGR on. As far as the hoses to the DPFE sensor, there are TWO instead of one like the early models. I took one completely off the DPFE and then just routed the other back to the now empty connection just to keep crap out of the sensor.
As far as what happens I don't know, the CEL is intermittent on mine. Probably just gonna put a semi-transparent sticker over it that sez sumthin' cute...any suggestions for a logo or word?

'bird

Hey Wynn, how about "Service Wife Soon"
haha
Bill

EGR Plug in Manifold

I can confirm that the E8TZ-9G458-A plug does fit the 89-95 exhaust manifold EGR port. Thread size is M22x1.5 if that helps someone find a less expensive alternative. I purchased this one off eBay for $20 including shipping.

Attachments

• ECFE453F-404D-4912-9027-8161627B7A7A.jpg
    ECFE453F-404D-4912-9027-8161627B7A7A.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 102
  • A576A5B0-05BB-450C-BA1D-2431189BAFB5.jpg
    A576A5B0-05BB-450C-BA1D-2431189BAFB5.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 121
Seriously though, this is the kind of thread resurrection that is beneficial! Good stuff.

What did you coat your manifolds with? They look really good.

13-years-later.jpg

Yes, I know this is an old thread. It was one of the posts that I found when trying to find out what to use to plug the manifold. I originally had bought an EGR plug kit from someone on the forums, but the cap for the EGR adapter had the wrong threads. I think it had SAE threads, not metric to match what the super coupe manifold and EGR adapter has. It would start to thread on, but get tight after only after 1 thread.

I was trying to provide this information so that others could get the details necessary and come up with a solution that works best for them.

The coating I have applied to the manifolds is Eastwood Factory Gray Hi-Temp Coating - Item #10395. I used the pint container and brushed it on with foam brush. It is dry, but not cured with the high temperature of the engine exhaust as intended. This is the first time I have used it, so I have no real experience with it. It was inexpensive and easy to apply to sandblasted manifolds. I hope it just keeps them from being rusty on my car that won't see anything more that rain or car wash.

Joe

Back