Best way to remove side rubber moldings? Heat gun?

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
Those of you who have done it and before I burn the paint off the side of the car, should I just heat up the molding till it softens and use a paint chisel to scrape? How easy does it come off?

Mike Puckett said:
Those of you who have done it and before I burn the paint off the side of the car, should I just heat up the molding till it softens and use a paint chisel to scrape? How easy does it come off?

Use a piece of fishing line or piano wire to cut through the tape on the back then use adhesive remover to get off the residue.

Mike Donley

Thanks Mike, the fishing line helped get it started but I wasn't strong enough to pull it very far because it was too cold and hard. Then I discovered that if I just heat it for a few secs I could pull it off by hand. A little heat helps get the tape residual to come off with my fingernail but I'll clean it with solvent later.

I was thinking about taking the molding off my '93 but it looks like the stuff on the bumper is like inlayed in the bumper so i could get rid of it without it being left with a big strip missing outta the bumper. Ya know what i mean? Any idea's would be great.

I just took off the 4 little short pieces on either side of the door rather than add the long strip to the new fiberglass door. The bumper's Ok. That piece is a part of the bumper.

Back