New and need help

Garrard8

Hello everyone.I have just completed puting my 90sc back together from replacing the head gaskets and I have run into a crazy problem.First of all I dont have a picture to show you the plug that I can not find where it goes but I will try to describe where it is at.It is a rectangle plug that is in the harness close to the DIS module on the right side looking at the motor from in front of the car.I will try to get a picture tommorow.Thanks in advance

How many wires go into the plug, and what colors are the wires? If it's a two wire plug, I'm going to guess that it's the AC compressor plug.

-Rod

On that harness there are 4 plugs- 2 for the DIS, 1 for the AC and another that just has a "dead end" plug that does go anywhere. It's kinda like your appendix...it seems to be...just there :D

Don't ask me what it's for...I think it's just there ;)

Metalman

welcome, I hope this answered your question.

Do ya think that's what Gerrard is talking about?

And if you can educate me- What is the SPOUT signal?

Metalman

metalman said:
Do ya think that's what Gerrard is talking about?

And if you can educate me- What is the SPOUT signal?

Metalman
If the connector has two yellow-light green wires (on a 92, at least) and a small plug that shorts these two wires, then it is the SPOUT Check Connector. I don't know why the wiring diagrams refer to it as the Tach Check Connector as it is not the tach signal.

Here's what the manual says about the DIS:

The DIS consists of the following components:
* Crankshaft timing sensor
* Camshaft sensor
* DIS ignition module
* Ignition coil pack
* The spark angle portion of EEC-IV module
* Related wiring

The crankshaft timing sensor signal is called PIP (profile ignition pick-up). The PIP signal provides base timing and RPM information to the DIS module and the EEC-IV module. Base timing is set at 10 degrees BTDC and is not adjustable.

The camshaft sensor provides cylinder identification (CID) information. The DIS ignition uses CID for coil fire sequencing and is also used by the EEC-IV for fuel synchronization.

The DIS ignition module receives the PIP signal from the crankshaft sensor, the CID signal from the camshaft sensor, and SPOUT (spark out) signal from the EEC-IV module. During normal operation, PIP is sent to the EEC-IV module from the crankshaft timing sensor and provides base timing and RPM information. The CID signal provides the DIS ignition module with the information required to synchronize the ignition coils so that they are fired in the proper sequence. The SPOUT signal contains the optimum spark timing and dwell time information. The spark angle is determined by the rising edge of SPOUT, while the falling edge of SPOUT controls the coil current "ON" or "DWELL" time. The dwell time is controlled or varied by varying the duty cycle of the SPOUT signal. This feature is called CCD (Computer Controlled Dwell). With the proper inputs of PIP, CID and SPOUT the DIS ignition module turns the ignition coils on and off in the proper sequence for spark control.

The Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM) is a function of the DIS module. The DIS module sends information on system failures to the EEC-IV, which stores the information for diagnostic self tests. The IDM signal is also used to drive the vehicle instrument tachometer and/or test tachometer for diagnosis.

The ignition coil pack contains three separate ignition coils which are controlled by the DIS module through three coil leads. Each ignition coil fires two spark plugs simultaneously; one plug on the compression stroke and one on the exhaust stroke. The spark plug fired on the exhaust stroke uses very little of the ignition coil's stored energy. The majority of the energy is used by the spark plug on the compression stroke. Since these two spark plugs are connected in series, the firing voltage of one plug will be negative with respect to ground, while the voltage of the other will be positive with respect to ground.

Failure Mode Effects Management: During some DIS system faults, the failure mode effects management (FMEM) portion of the DIS ignition module will maintain vehicle operation. If the DIS module does not receive the SPOUT input, it will automatically turn the ignition coils on and off using the PIP signal. However, this condition will result in fixed spark timing (10 degrees BTDC) and fixed dwell timing (no CCD). If the DIS module does not receive the CID input during engine cranking, random coil synchronization will be attempted by the module. Therefore, several attempts (cycling the ignition switch from OFF to START) may be required to start the engine. If the DIS module loses CID input while engine is running, the module will remember the proper firing sequence and continue to fire to maintain engine operation.

WOW,
A lot more info that I thought it would be. Very informative and very intricate...good stuff. I love learning more about my car everyday :D

Thanks,

Metalman

It has 8 wires.Blue,purple,yellow,red and a couple more.There is also another single wire i think the color of it is white.The car wont crank after I put it back together seems like it has no fire.Since it is very close to the DIS module I would assume it might be the cause.

I think I see the plug your talking about. A grey, squar-ish plug with a single plug coming off of it. On my car the single plug is red. I traced the other side of the harness (that part that you can't find on your car). It starts at the far most passenger side corner of the firewall. There is a wiring harness coming through a grommet there. It follows around the inside of the fenderwell, following below the shock tower and it should come up between the fuel lines and the AC pump.

The harness starts thickest at the firewall and as you trace the path I mention, it thins out as wires split off of it to other places.

Good luck!

Metalman

Garrard8 said:
It has 8 wires.Blue,purple,yellow,red and a couple more.There is also another single wire i think the color of it is white.The car wont crank after I put it back together seems like it has no fire.Since it is very close to the DIS module I would assume it might be the cause.
That sounds like the connector for the harness that connects the DIS, cam sensor, and crank sensor to the EEC. Going by metalman's description in post 11, I would guess that you tucked the cable (from the firewall to this plug) out of the way somewhere near the passenger shock tower or the firewall.

Thanks everybody.With youre help I found where it goes.I pluged it up and with a cloud of white smoke it cranked up.

Got one more question.The car is blowing tons of vapor and won't idle.But when you rev it up it runs great.Im sure I will figure it out but just thought i would ask the experts.

If you disconnected your battery, then your computer has to relearn certain perameters, like idle. It will idle like crap for a few days. Drive it so it can learn your habits.

As far as the vapors go...and I'm kinda thinking out loud here...The vapors might be any cleaners that you used burning off. Could be burning rich-does it smell like fuel or anything distinguishable. Or possibly condensation perhaps if you're in cold weather.

It dosn"t appear to be losing any coolant and it has tons of vapor exiting the exhaust.When it originaly blew the head gasket it filled the exhaust with water.I drove it about 2 miles to try to clean it out but only seem to help a little.It has me baffled but i belive and hope it only a minor problem.

If you disconnected your battery then that's why your idle is bad, but I'd drive your car modestly and closely monitor your gauges and fluid levels.

I've read that antifreeze will probably destroy the O2 sensors. It's happened to a few SCers.

When i did a motor swap on my 91 NA thunderbird that thing blew white smoke so thick i ciouldn't see out my rear window. Water had gotten down into the downpipes while the motor was out. It took a few days for it to all evaporate off. I'm not saying that everything is alright, i'm just saying that it's a possibility. I would let it run for a while, see if it stops.

Back