Anyone From Upstate New York/Albany Area?

Upstate Ny SC's

I recently got an '89 SC and have started restoring. Live in Delaware county. no one ekse close to here.

NY90RedSC

I'll betcha probably saw mine sitting next to the house. Haven't moved it since December and haven't driven it since september.

Sad, sadder and saddest. I'm seriously thinking of taking it off the road for the summer and 07' winter. There is just too much that I need to repair on it and I simply don't have the time. PLus gas has been a killer. I can't use that care as a daily driver anymore.

I'm very sad and depressed :(

upstate Ny Sc'ers

Yes that is very sad. My '89 is also off the road for a while. Installing new brakes to get by NYS inspection. I had a new SC in '95 which I never really got over and this fueled the '89 restoration project. I love them, but their not easy.
Gerry

Took her off the road....

Well it's official, I took it off the road. I turned the plates in and I've just got comprehensive insurance on it right now. Just in case a tree falls on it, that kind of thing.

Since I'm in the new house, much of my time (and money) has been going for little fix-em' up projects here and there.

So there is very little money left over for the rehabilitation of the Bird. PLus my workhorse/beater Saturn is starting to give me problems, so cash and time needs to go into that car first in order to make sure that I have a daily driver. That little beater is 13 years old and has 207,000 on the clock.

But back to the bird, there are lots of things that It needs, like better brakes, shocks struts, diff seals to be replaced and maybe a new clutch/syncros etc.

anyone from upstate NY

That happens to most people at some time or other. I'm really glad those days for mr are past. 3 wives, 2 kids and 4 new houses built are enough. My God, no wonder I feel old sometimes !!!! So, just enjoy when you can. Being retired now, I have time to work an SC and enjoy it, if it would only stay warm for a while. Sounds like you may have coaxed all the life out of the Saturn. I drive trucks now Ford Explorers, because they seem to take more of a beating and keep running than cars do. Anyway, best of luck with the Saturn and things may turn so you get the SC back on the road this summer.
Gerry

Not this summer....

Nah I don't think I'd be able to do it this summer. Perhaps next summer though.

Darn, and I even got the Carlisle information in the mail. I'm sure kicking myself for missing out again. It would have been nice to just drive down in the beater Saturn, just to be around all of the birds again and all the club members would have been cool. I would have even brewed up some beer for everyone!!! I've got the whole 5 gallon setup. That would have been 2 cases of premium, thirst quenching, microbrew quality ale we'd be sipping. Oh well. Maybe another year.

I barely even come to this site anymore. It's so sad. I can't afford the old bird to drive it around with $3.00/gallon gas. At this point in my life, it's become a hobby/toy. A very expensive one at that too.

I'll keep coaxing as much life outta that Saturn as I can. It's not in too bad shape. Engine uses a little oil, but runs like a top otherwise. Transmission works, it sometimes shifts harshly. Rides ok since I got some cheapo tires for it. Stops ok since I replaced rotors, pads, drums and shoes 2 years ago. Even the A/C still works. I had the alternator replaced since it crapped out on me in the middle of january. Now the exhaust on the car is falling apart. Not sure if I want to keep fixing it or just buy a whole replacement. Heh heh, it's such a beater, I'll keep using patch kits and replacement pipes to make it work!!

Not this summer....

Nah I don't think I'd be able to do it this summer. Perhaps next summer though.

Darn, and I even got the Carlisle information in the mail. I'm sure kicking myself for missing out again. It would have been nice to just drive down in the beater Saturn, just to be around all of the birds again and all the club members would have been cool. I would have even brewed up some beer for everyone!!! I've got the whole 5 gallon setup. That would have been 2 cases of premium, thirst quenching, microbrew quality ale we'd be sipping. Oh well. Maybe another year.

I barely even come to this site anymore. It's so sad. I can't afford the old bird to drive it around with $3.00/gallon gas. At this point in my life, it's become a hobby/toy. A very expensive one at that too.

I'll keep coaxing as much life outta that Saturn as I can. It's not in too bad shape. Engine uses a little oil, but runs like a top otherwise. Transmission works, it sometimes shifts harshly. Rides ok since I got some cheapo tires for it. Stops ok since I replaced rotors, pads, drums and shoes 2 years ago. Even the A/C still works. I had the alternator replaced since it crapped out on me in the middle of january. Now the exhaust on the car is falling apart. Not sure if I want to keep fixing it or just buy a whole replacement. Heh heh, it's such a beater, I'll keep using patch kits and replacement pipes to make it work!!

I know what you mean about the expense of driving the SC's. I haven't driven my SC much at all as of late. Unfortunately I was forced to drive it during the winter months and that has totally pissed me off.:mad:
I am going to redo the paint job on this car and will be swapping the transmission out or getting it rebuilt over the summer and fall too. I doubt very much this car will be seeing much road travel the rest of this year as well simply because I don't want to tack all the miles on it with my job and so forth. I just picked up a 1993 Chevy Lumina Z34 for my job and will be using that more than anything I think at this point.
I will try to frequent the car shows and see if any other SC's show up, but they very rarely make an appearance on the showgrounds, only in the parking lots. :confused:
Oh well...good luck to one and all with your restorations and projects. ;)

Carlisle S/C trip

Anyone going to make the trip to Carisle in June? I'll be heading down on Friday June 2nd. Are you up for it Brian? I'm in Gloversville

I wish I was going.....

This will be the 3rd year that I have missed out on. I kept on promising that I would fix things up on my car but everytime I turned around, there wasn't enough time or there wasn't enough money.

I'm going to miss out again. Hell, I'd drive the damn beater on down there if I could free myself up to do it....:(

parts

What parts do you need to fix it up, I have some parts here let me know I'm fairly local Thanks, Rob

Thanks for the offer.

But I don't seem to have the $$ or the time anymore.
I'd probably start with the shocks/struts to replace with the KONI units and go from there. My clutch and flywheel are very grabby/chattery and it's a PITA. I'd figure, while I have the trans out, I might as well rebuilt it...

The list goes on from there, but I'd like things to run on it the way I'd like.

One day. Maybe when I get a job with the state or something! :D

SC Newbie in Saratoga County

Hey,
I don't know if your still checking your responses, but I'm an old streetrodder up here,
I have my first SC `89 just picked it up for a song, he literally paid me, I need to do some work, like head gaskets & there is an oil leak near the filter I have to track down,
But it isn't to bad, let me know if your around or anything we can get them together for a laugh or something LOL JT

old thread revival...i'm in oneonta new york..and i saw a red 89-93 sc w/ a supercoupe decal on the side...anyone here?

89 S/c

I'm driving a 89 white and dark blue almost purple 5 speed from Gloversville to Albany everyday, and a few spare supercoupes in my backyard. Rob

I've found another SC and will probably check into it this week. I miss my old one, that's for sure, but I don't want to buy one just to buy it. I know the headaches that come with these cars, especially when they haven't been taken care of. This car is sitting in the weeds and looks like it's been there for quite some time. But, with gas at $3.37 a gallon for 93 octane, I'm not sure I could even afford to drive the thing if I did buy it...:(

Milage

I'm running about 600 miles per week on my S/C, and even at 3.29 for super it's cheaper than my 01 ranger and a lot more fun to drive.

i stlll take the bus most days. i've found that if i shift at 2200 rpm's and never get into boost i can squeeze 25mpg out of it doing city/country driving..and slightly more on the highway. it takes all the fun out of the car..but i'll live w/it

Back