Thread: WELL IT FINALLY HAPPENED.....BLOWN HG's

Unhappy WELL IT FINALLY HAPPENED.....BLOWN HG's

I read about it here more than once.....but it doesn't make me feel any better! Started with a leak in the radiator about a week ago. Installed new radiator and continued loosing small amounts of coolant, but she never overheated. BUT, on the way home today, I layed down that white smoke screen! I was 1 mile from the Ford Dealer so I keep going. The wrenches in the parking lot summed it all up before I could say a word. I'm bummed! 208,000 miles on the ole' 92SC. They started pricing it out for me, but said they would have a better idea tomorrow. I've been quoted $700.00 for labor, $150.00 for machine shop, and approximately $300.00 for gaskets, head bolts, blah, blah, blah! I'm sure there will be a couple of hundred bucks in incidentals. That sound about right to you guys? This is my daily driver and there's no way I've got time to do it. Hey, at least they give you car to drive. What do you guys think?

I NEED A BEER!

Mack
    92SC......WITH BLOWN HEAD GASKET!

sorry man, that sucks. i heard the stories, and some are bad.. it is bound to happen, especially on the 3.8's.. good luck. best of wishes and hope you make some time to fix it or else. like you say, you will pay a lot for it.. labor, its a rip...

Theres alot of gr8 sc'ers..knowledgable ones too, i bet u could find someone near u that could help u do it yourself for a hella lot cheaper!

goodluck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mack92SC
    I read about it here more than once.....but it doesn't make me feel any better! Started with a leak in the radiator about a week ago. Installed new radiator and continued loosing small amounts of coolant, but she never overheated. BUT, on the way home today, I layed down that white smoke screen! I was 1 mile from the Ford Dealer so I keep going. The wrenches in the parking lot summed it all up before I could say a word. I'm bummed! 208,000 miles on the ole' 92SC. They started pricing it out for me, but said they would have a better idea tomorrow. I've been quoted $700.00 for labor, $150.00 for machine shop, and approximately $300.00 for gaskets, head bolts, blah, blah, blah! I'm sure there will be a couple of hundred bucks in incidentals. That sound about right to you guys? This is my daily driver and there's no way I've got time to do it. Hey, at least they give you car to drive. What do you guys think?

I NEED A BEER!

Mack
    92SC......WITH BLOWN HEAD GASKET!

Quote Originally Posted by crzykyman
    sorry man, that sucks. i heard the stories, and some are bad.. it is bound to happen, especially on the 3.8's.. good luck. best of wishes and hope you make some time to fix it or else. like you say, you will pay a lot for it.. labor, its a rip...
    Thanks crzyman...it does suck! Car has new tires, brakes, ARC Shocks, and is in great shape. It's a tough decision, but I'm leaning toward having it fixed. Hope I won't be throwing good money away!

Mack

If you really love the car then you might consider having a remanufacutured engine installed. For another 2 grand you could have a 0 miles engine instead of one that was driven on blown head gaskets with 208K on the clock.

Good Luck with the car.

Hey man sorry to hear about that. I would not get then replaced at Ford due to their overly expensive prices.

My whole engine had to get rebuilt in '99 for about $5,000 bucks with mods to prevent it from happening again. $700 sounds nice.

im about to do my engine... and so far its 200 bucks for the head gasket set... with head bolts and rear main seals and oil pan... ima do it myself... lets say 300 bucks with the heads being resurfaced and a valve job...

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeFtLbs
    My whole engine had to get rebuilt in '99 for about $5,000 bucks with mods to prevent it from happening again. $700 sounds nice.
    Well, just got home from the Dealer and they gave me a price of $1100.00 to do the complete job. Sounds like a fair price to me. Maybe I'll start looking around for another engine to rebuild, but this is my daily driver and I need it back. Been driving this car for a whole lot of years and I don't see anything else I rather be driving.

Mack

...actually that's not a bad price if it includes refurbishing the heads....good luck,I redid my hg's myself but then I had another car to drive.Good luck...
    z