?s about replacing 90 rotors

S_Mazza

Hi everyone.

I have a 90 SC and my front rotors are getting warped, so I need to replace them. I am evaluating my options, but I have some questions:

1. Is is still possible to get the 89-90 rotors from Ford or another top-quality supplier? I know they will sell you a rotor, but does it have the machined hole that fits the hub correctly? (I had some Advance Auto rotors on my 89, and the hole was obviously sized for the 91-97 hubs.)

2. If I get 93+ rotors and hubs, will my ABS work correctly? Or do I need to swap extra parts?

3. I was planning to go with Ford parts for all this. Do you guys have a better suggestion? (I have tried enough cheap rotors, now I want to try the good stuff and see if the price difference is worth it.)

Thanks in advance, guys and gals!

I paid a pretty penny for supercoupeperformance.com's cross drilled rotors over 50K ago. I think this next time I replace them, I'm going with cheap stock replacements (Advance Auto or something like that). FYI, doing a search will vastly increase your chances of getting an answer to your questions.

You can pay over $100ea for KVR cross-drilled or even $80ea for EBC slotted; but if they are stock size 10.86" they probably won't last any longer before warping (just look prettier, if you have aftermarket wheels). I'd go back to the manager at Advanced Auto or AutoZone and get them to research what's available for your early model. I paid $25ea for Wearever house brand on my 93 & 94 at Advanced and they are still pretty good after 30k. I probably won't even cut them when they warp just replace them.

Well, I did do a search, but the answers didn't really jump out And I don't want to get confused by conflicting information from 20 different posts, so I figured I would ask specific questions instead.

Thanks, guys, for sharing your experience with the high-end rotors. I am not really looking for fancy aftermarket stuff (cross-drilled, etc.). I just want quality replacements. I don't want to use cheap rotors, because I have done that twice in the last couple years, and they invariably seem to warp within 5000 miles.

So, does anyone out there have anything to add? The only question that really worries me is #2. Anyone?

I bought aftermarket rotors for an 89 that fit perfectly. That was approximately 10 years ago, though.

The newer hubs/rotors will not effect your ABS. Just be sure to get a hub with the sensor ring on it.

I haven't actually tried this, but I would bet the sensor rings off your hubs would fit the newer hubs, even if you got them without the ring. Also, you will want a new nut torqued to 250 ft/lbs when you install the new hubs.

Back