Magnaflow????

ThunderDave

I've got gutted cats now and no resonator and flowmaster 40s. I'm thinking about installing magnaflow cats and resonator to my setup with the flowmasters. Is anyone running this combo now? How does it sound from idle, cruising and WOT?

I'm looking for less drone and less rasspyness.

Thanks!

Nobody??????? Ok, maybe I'll just cut off the exhaust at the downpipes and put a couple of cherry bomb glass packs on. Did AsScLoWn or ILIKEJUGS and PRICK ever do this? I'm sure somebody has beat me to it. :rolleyes:

Mike, is that the setup you have? I probably keep the flows for now and see how I like it. I can always get the mag mufflers later if I don't.

By the way, if you are cruising down the street in your SC and somebody pulls out in front of you and you have to slam on brakes, would they be considered as being in Harms way? :rolleyes:

That's just a cool name you have. :cool:

NCredSC said:
... would they be considered as being in Harms way? :rolleyes:

Why yes, yes they would. ;)

Oh, and the 93 Black SC has a dual inlet magnaflow, single outlet into dual magnaflow mufflers. I never noticed any drone last year. I'll be adding www.texasthunderbirds.com ported stock manifolds and off road down tubes into high flow cats this year. I don't expect any real change in exhaust note.

Mike8675309 said:
Why yes, yes they would. ;)

Oh, and the 93 Black SC has a dual inlet magnaflow, single outlet into dual magnaflow mufflers. I never noticed any drone last year. I'll be adding www.texasthunderbirds.com ported stock manifolds and off road down tubes into high flow cats this year. I don't expect any real change in exhaust note.

I had the resonator deleted last Febuary when I had the Dynomax super cats put on and it sounded ok, still a little more drone than I wanted.
Then when I found out one of my O2s was bad and was dumping too much gas on one side and it clogged up the cat. Took them both out and punched them clean. The drone is much worse and the rice sound is too much to take. We have emissions testing on 95 and older for one more year, so I figured I'd get real cats put back on and the resonator too.
Anything has got to sound better than what it does now. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Well, I placed my order with Victor at Spinningwheels and he is going to set me up with what I want. If they get here this week, I can get them installed Friday. :D I'll let ya know how it goes and I might take some pics too. Thanks Victor!

Except for gutted cats, that is my setup, still hits a drone in the 3 k range, but who stays in the 3k range? Beefier sound than stock, but really quiets down in the higher rpm's...kind of a sleeper, but stilll sets off car alarms at low rpm's :D

Ok, I got the cats and resonator put on today. What a big difference! No more ricey sound at all, but still has some of the drone, probably due to the flowmasters. I happy with it so far though. I did notice that my boost dropped and I thought it would have gone up a little. I was maxing around 13 1/2 psi (by the stock gage) and now it goes to like 11 1/2- 12 psi.

That's ok, I have a 10% pulley to put on to replace the 5% pulley on there now. I'll do a little more driving and testing before I decide to do the switch.

I'll get some pics up too. Forgot to take camera with me to the shop.

NCredSC said:
Ok, I got the cats and resonator put on today. What a big difference! No more ricey sound at all, but still has some of the drone, probably due to the flowmasters. I happy with it so far though. I did notice that my boost dropped and I thought it would have gone up a little. I was maxing around 13 1/2 psi (by the stock gage) and now it goes to like 11 1/2- 12 psi.

That's ok, I have a 10% pulley to put on to replace the 5% pulley on there now. I'll do a little more driving and testing before I decide to do the switch.

I'll get some pics up too. Forgot to take camera with me to the shop.
I'm running preaty much the same set up. I have two Magnaflow cats, no resonator, I have an X-pipe instead, and two FlowMasters 40's series. It's loud, a little bit of drone, but better response from the car, which is great. Plus, I'm not afraid that I can blow my head gasket again because of the pulley and restriction on the resonator....

Man my setup is stock cats, no res. and 2.5 all the way back to 2 flowmasters 40 series and the drone is very bad. But when i go to the ported exhaust manifolds and gutted cats it will be even worse. Oh well i beter get used to it i guess. But i like the drone though.

Back