need tips on performing a tune-up

SuperCoupe007

i am planning on doing the tune-up on my car, its a 90 SC 5-Speed.. I am gonna replace the Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Air Breather, PCV, and Oil Filter with the name brand products from FRAM. For Oil i am gonna use Mobil 1 Synthetic 20W-50... I am also gonna replace the Spark Plugs but not sure if the car requires single or double platinum, and am thinking of either purchasing Bosh brand or Autolites'... As far as the wires go, i am thinking Bosch brand because they offer me a lifetime warranty. I have to replace all 3 serpentine belts but not sure if i should be looking for a specific name brand, or if they are all just the same.. I also need to replace the valve cover gaskets, any specific brand that you guys could recommend ? Should i change the Super Charger Fluid as well ??? if i have missed anything, or if you guys have any suggestoin on what else i should change please let me know.. your help is greatly appreciated.. thanks guys....:)
ooh yeah by the way, any tips on how to change the spark plugs, sincei don't have a clue on how i could reach them without taking apart the engine..... thanks

Last edited:
Spark Plugs

This is my first SC as well, I used to have an LX, but I've been around these cars for awhile now, and I believe everyone says the best weay to get to the plugs is from under the car. How abouts i do not know, but thats what they tell me.

Yougot any pictures of your car?

hhhmm okay sounds like a good idea.. I will try changing them from under the car.. i've also had experience with an LX as well but its a walk in the park to serivce the LX.. hehehe.. Well right now i still haven't taken any pics of the car, but as soon as i get a chance and a digital camera i will take some snaps of the car and post them... thanks.... any more ideas from anybody are appreciated..... thanks..

I believe most ppl here recomend using Auto-Lite doubles. As far as wires go I believe most ppl have had the best luck with the Ford replacement wires. Air filter, go with a K&N all the way. Ummm, plugs in these cars are tough, ppl will probably tell me different but I had one hell of a time trying to change 'em. Me and a buddy of mine started by taking off the intake tube and getting the passengers side from above. Then we tried to take off the IC tubes to get to the drivers side (it ain't gonna happen unless you remove the entire alternator bracket). So you have to go from underneith.... ummm, good luck with it man!

-Steve

As for the belts, I would go with GoodYear Gatorbacks (yes, belts). They have a lifetime warranty.

ok, i'll take your advice steve and approach the plugs from underneath the car, thanks....
Hey Kurk, just out of curiosity, is there anything special of these belts (Good Year Gatorbacks), and how does their lifetime warranty work ?? is it the kind where they give you warranty just against manufacturers defect ?? and finally where could i find these belts ?? thanks....

Hello. First, you can go to www.mn12performance.com for specific info on changing the plugs. Visit their how-to section. Second.. always use either Motorcraft or Autolite double platinum spark plugs. Anything less and the electrode will wear out immediatley. I have heard many suggestions to use Motorcraft wires also, but some use magnacores. I also suggest the k&n panel air filter, its reusable and has the best flow. As far as oil, I would not use 20w50 if your engine is stock. Most wear happens at startup, and 20w is pretty thick.. it wont flow as well as maybe 5 or 10w. Mobil One is probably the best you can use. Speaking of it, a Mobil Synthetic oil filter is the best on the market, if you dont mind spending the 12 dollars. Motorcraft has the best bypass valve, but an avg filtering element. The bypass valve stops dirty oil from getting by when the car is off, but the element restricts some flow, and misses some dirt. Fram has the best filtering element, this cleans the oil well, but you get valve noise with them on startup. Mobil synthetic filter combines both of these into one. I use a Motorcraft oil filter. I have heard both good and bad about replacing SC fluid. Some say its good occasionaly to reduce foreign matter, others say exactly the opposite: that changing it lets in more dirt than if it was left. Either way, simply check that the fluid is right at the very bottom of the screw. If it needs some, add either Ford's or GM's sc fluid. GM's is cheaper, and thought to be the same.

Does that help?

I've been able to find the Good Year belts at a local Auto Parts store, not AutoZone or Parts America. The warranty is great, when the belt is old and worn, just take it back and it will be replaced (as long as they can read it, or you have the receipt). Just call around, and I'm sure you will find somebody that stocks the belts.

I would suugest another brand rather than Fram for the oil filter at least. If you were to ever cut apart a Fram oil filter and compare it to a Purolator or Wix filter you would probably be surprised at what a big piece of s&*t they are. The amount of filtering material, and the comstruction of those filters is pretty scary. At work here we had a Fram and Motorcraft cut apart for comparison, even people without much auomotive knowledge could see the difference.

Can you tell I don't think much of Fram ?? :D

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

gator back

i bought mine from summit racing they look cool didnt know they have a life time warranty probably wouldn't matter belt slipped off the idler pulley and got cut up bad still finding pieces of the belt

gatorback

Hey Curse,
How long did you have the gator belt before it got chewed out ?? did it slip at all ??? did you buy another one ?

bout...

i had them about 6 months they were working great the acc belt slipped off but the blower belt never slipped and i have a 10% o/d pulley no i didnt buy it again they are a lil pricey for a belt and im worried it might slip again but if anything ever happens to the blower belt i would buy the gator belt for it again

Back