Quick Balancer Question

NorthrnSCownr

I turned the crank a bit inadvertently while taking off the 4 bolts holding on the crank pulley. The stock balancer reads 6 degrees at the timing marker now.
My question is basically this, when I install the BHJ along with my new crank pulley(these I have 0 balanced together right?) do I place the new balancer on the crankshaft with the timing marker at 6 degrees on the BHJ?
I've read a lot of posts on balancer replacement, but need a little clarification on this,
Thanks,
Tom

If I recall correctly, the bolt holes in the balancer & pulley are offset a little so that they will only line up one way. (It may be that the hall-effect ring holes will only line up one way, I can't remember). Anyway, the stock pulley is balanced with the stock balancer so it really won't make a difference when you install it on the BHJ anyway. Just line up the holes on the balancer and pulley and you're good to go....

You are Correct

The crank relucter only bolts up one way
There is 4 bolts that hold the relucter to the balancer one of these bolts is offset So if you install the relucter and all holes line up you are good to go

The stock dampener and pulley are balanaced as a unit. The BHJ is zero balanced and will require a zero balanced pulley to balance correctly. SCI and SCP both sell zero balanced crank pulleys. I bought the SCI and it is beautiful and about half the weight of the stock one.

One of the pulley mounting holes is offset so you can only install it one way. Wellllllllll, if you are not careful, it can be installed wrong (long story). While off the car, put the pulley on the BHJ (flush) and mark the offset hole. If you place the pulley in front of the dampener and then use the bolts to align and pull it on, it can be wrong. The Stealership did that to mine. It will pull all the way on and look correct but over time, the stress began pulling the threads out on that one bolt and the pulley began to wobble. You could look at it and it was blurry when turning. FREAKED ME OUT. I didn't really figure out what happened until I removed the old new and could see the damage.

One last thing is that our cranks are "center tapped" or something (oil flows in the center of the crank) so put some black gooo on the crank bolt before installing.

The crank has a keyway in it so the crank turning a little will not make a difference. (keyway only lets it install one way).

Before you install the BHJ, a helpfull hint is to dremel numbers next to the major marks to make it easier to read later and to shoot the BHJ with some hi-temp clear coat (BHJ is steel and WILL rust).

--Fred

Last edited:
Back