Cat heat shield....

RustyUL

This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. How important is is that the heat sheild on top of the left cat be reinstalled? I'm sure it was there for a reason, but has anybody who has left it off experienced any problems?

mm

I don't think it will hurt anything to leave them off. My welds broke on the corners of mine, so i took a drill under the car, put a hole in each corner and a small nut and bolt to hold it back together. I coulda prolly just took it off, but I didn't because I was bored. :rolleyes:

I would but it back on unless your doing your exhaust soon. mine came off and the floor get a lot hotter with out it on.

I don't think it's gonna matter much. When I bought my SCP exhaust system, it included downtubes with high flow cats. One of the cats was welded onto the downtube upside down with the sheild facing the road surface. I didn't notice it until after the exhaust system was already installed.

I drove it that way for 3 or 4 years. The sheild eventually fell off because it would collect and hold water when going through a car wash and the spot welds rusted out. Probably better if it's on there, but IMO it's not going to cause a problem to run the car without it.

David

two words.....weight reduction....
No no, just kidding. I don't think it will hurt anything to leave them off, jsut don't park on any tall dry grass...

I removed every metal heat sheild on my exhaust.
Except the cats.They are next.

And I think my car sounds louder without the heat sheilds..

Randy

If the heat shield is rattling, you can buy an extra long hose clamp from a hardware store, (I got mine from Home Depot), wrap it completely around the heat sheild and cat, tighten it up, cut off the excess, and no more noisy rattle.

About a 10 minute job. :)

No, actually, the reason I didn't put it back on was that one of the three small screws that hold the shield on broke off (the one on top) when removing my exhaust a while back during clutch replacement. I didn't want to put it back on to have it rattle until I drilled and retapped the bolt hole and I didn't have the tools to do it at that moment.

Back