Car Trailer rental anyone ?

Trailer.........?

Most rentashops have a half day deal on their dollies, I pulled a 'Bird from W. Hartford to Torr. with one, pulled straight and true. Try one! W.L. Oh, yeah, IIRC it was $30.

but this vehicle isnt registered, my bro told me all wheels have to be off the ground to be able to tow it legally if its not registered, i was gonn arent a trailer from uhaul, they told me i cant with my 88 f-150, they said there full trailer + the vehicle i want to tow weigh more than 20% more than the towing vehicle :( i have a couple more ideas in mind. but thanks Alex L

I thought I have seen trailers that resemble those dollies, but they take the whole car. They sit just as low as the dolly, I don't know what they are called though.

As far as towing with a dolly, I thought they were independently registered and therefore anything put on them was covered by that reg. ???? Maybe not.

How far is NY, NY from Bristol? Would it be more practical to have someone out there tow it considering your time and rental fees?

Also, you could look into a landscape trailer. MY trailers are 18' long and have 2 3500lb axles. 7k is more than enough for the car and the trailer weight.

I don't know, just some suggestions, good luck

Skip

i got some good news, i can pick up the car, its 120 miles one way its in long island NY, my friend is gonna use his 99 expedition he just got and i called the uhaul place and they said it was ok for what i want to do.. so i reserved it and i should be all set for a ride of mapquest.com says "2.25 hrs one way" and i'll have my 2nd SC :) thanks for the suggestions.. Alex L

**He's suposed to be getting another hitch from his girls dads friend at work, i told him to make sure its rated for 5k lbs, hes supposed to put it on with his girls dad tomorrow hopefully, i just might have to get a ball and do a wire hook up if he doesnt have it stock on that expedition for the trailer.. besides that were set..

Good pull........!

Good luck with your pull, I pulled an 89 SC with my 89 F-150? Maybe it's because of going out of state, N.Y. has different laws! Two things, he'll need a Reese Class 3, and watch which way you go!!! Some roads and bridges you can't tow over, basically if you follow the tractor/trailers your safe, don't ask me how I know this!!!!!!! Safe journeys Frank

no, they told me its the weight of the vehicle i'm towing with is what matters, they said the load your carring (car + trailer total) cannot exceed 20% more than the towing vehicle. thats what they told me, its gonna cost 99 bucks about plus tax, dealing with them was a PITA, i have to take a half day from work tomorrow and go to windsor locks to go pick it up with my friend in his SUV, then leave it at my house, go back to work for a 1/2 day, because my friend has to be in work at 9am tomorrow, so we'll be on the road at about 6 am, then my friend gets out at 5, coming over and then were heading out, probably 5:30-6pm we'll be on our way to go to long island NY, i hope there isnt to much traffic or the weather be too bad. thanks i'll need the all the luck i can get :) ***** soo wasnt working good, i kept having to call uhual place after another and figure out a way to do all of this myself, also sucked that my friend cant do it saturday, so i'll drop it off in new britian so we dont have to go in the morning.. what a day i have for tomorrow :) i just cant wait to get my other car :) i'll take some pics, Alex L..

Last edited:
Well good luck dude. I picked my 95 up in NJ. At least I was able to drive it home. I know what it's like though. We have some snow coming tomorrow sometime I think. Hopefully that won't botch things up too bad.

Skip

V8Supercoupe said:
Well good luck dude. I picked my 95 up in NJ. At least I was able to drive it home. I know what it's like though. We have some snow coming tomorrow sometime I think. Hopefully that won't botch things up too bad.

Skip

Uhmmmm, a lot of snow, starting around lunch time and going through the night they say. Another Nor'Easter. If we get half what they predict you'll be on the road for hours!! Probably should try to stay over or just come on down Saturday, maybe.

Ira

Sunday........!

A friend and I are going down to N.J. Sunday to pull home my latest addition, but he has a car trailer he bought for hisself and it looks like we might catch a break in the weather, (I Hope), cheers and safe journeys, W.L.

was not bad at all, everything went well, snow stopped at soon as we hit about waterbury, it stopped, but i was happy with my new edition :) then we got snow this morning had to clean off both SC's, i need a dam garage :)

Good for you man. Looks like a nice car. How much work does it need,,,,,or is it pretty much good to go?

Hey if you need a garage.....keep me in mind, that's my line of work!!!!
:rolleyes: :eek:

Skip

ehh, i gotta do some work to it, but this will be my daily driver after, i wasnt to happy about one thing with the abs that i didnt know when i bought it, but the overall condition isnt to bad, has some dings and some scuffs, but i think i picked it up for a reasonable price, the problems it has

1. tires arent to great, (my bro has some i can get for cheap)
2. supercharger front seal is leaking a little, (i've done mine b4, so not to hard)
3. steering rack leaks like a S.O.B out of the seals, (my bro is gonna do that with new outer tie rods also need an alignment after)
4. i drove it and when i let it coast, i hit the gas there was a clunk in the rear then it moved fine, pretty sure its the u joint in the rear, if not i have my old diff i believe at my bros garage.
5. when i drove it i hit the brakes a little hard, it seemed to brake fine, but after reading up on here in the tech forums, the anti lock/brake light flashed quick, so now i assume i need a acumulator for the abs system.
6. the cat back about where the mufflers connect to 1 piece is missing :) so i kinda need a half cat back.
7. needs also a battery, needed to jump it to start it all the time
8. a/c doesnt work, he said he replaced a few things already, its in my log book, but i might fix that for the summer, i'm not in a rush for that, i had a/c in my other SC for about 2 weeks, long story :) so i'm not used to that option yet.

i have a log book with dates and milage of everything he replaced, 5spd tranny was rebuilt with brass syncros about 18k ago, also clutch, alot of misc parts, this guy just bought a house in long island NY, moving from queens and wanted to sell it instead of put more money into it. fully loaded, nice redone light tints, black leather, clarion tape deck/ 6 disk cd changer in the rear with spare magazine, also has a cheap eq, infinity 4 x 6's i think he said, full size spare, fold down seats, has a sweet as shifter lock :) never seen one in my life, i think its awesome :) also has an alarm (first car with alarm), dual power seats, fully loaded. but has some things i gotta fix, i hope to be driving this in about 30 days, i'm going on vacation next week and my bro said he'll start to work on it in a couple weeks, i have the cash so i'm just kinda waiting for him, then i'm going to sell my 88 f-150 I6 5spd and try to get a f-250 4wd auto 5.0 or 5.8 8' bed extended cab, older with around 100k or so to tow my other SC to the track :)

more pics here,

http://community.webshots.com/user/supercoupe

in the folder "2nd thunderbird SC :)"

Last edited:
Back